Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why is portage allowing upgrade of packages to fbsd arch?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luciano
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Why is portage allowing upgrade of packages to fbsd arch? Reply with quote

I was updating gentoo on my amd64 machine this morning, when I find that I get this message:

Code:
 emerge --usepkg=n -1 portage

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U *] sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha175 [2.2.0_alpha173] USE="(ipc) -build -doc -epydoc (-pypy2_0) -python2 -python3 (-selinux) -xattr" LINGUAS="-pl -ru" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 -pypy1_9 -pypy2_0 -python2_6 -python3_1 (-python3_3) (-python3_4)"

I hadn't noticed the 'asterisk' in emerge output before, and according to emerge manpage, it says:

Quote:
In this case, the * symbol is displayed, in order to indicate that [it] is masked by missing keyword.

And sure enough, if I check the keywords for the package, they have ~amd64-fbsd, but no ~amd64. Now my question is, why is emerge allowing me to upgrade to a non-compatible version? I have the following profile (#4)

Available profile symlink targets:
[1] default/linux/amd64/13.0
[2] default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux
[3] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
[4] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome *

set up, which sets the amd64 ARCH keyword.

Also, after installing this package unknowingly, portage still continued to work. Is this just because it's written in python? Is this a bug? Or did the developers just forget the ~amd64 arch keywords? Or did I somehow end up syncing to a non-official tree that only has freeBSD builds? Can somebody else confirm if they have the same issue?

Thanks in advance!

Luciano
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 2.2 branch was never unmasked in testing for the default profiles, it used to be in package.mask but I think some time ago Zac switched to the no-keyword-masking instead. Check your package.keywords (or package.accept_keywords), you probably have a ** entry for portage there (which completely disables KEYWORD masking).
luciano
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up, it all makes sense now! :roll: You were right, I had unmasked it for all architectures, but completely forgotten about this. I've updated my confs accordingly.

I hope they will soon start adding the GNU arches; I've been using portage-2 dev builds for a while now with no probs.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you run latest portage-2.1 you are actually running the same portage-2.2 code with some defaults changed to disable some of 2.2's options. The current 2.2 releases are essentially snapshots of the development sources, similar to running the live -9999 ebuild. If the changes/commits pan out (no reported bugs), they are moved to the next 2.1 release. Then those 2.1 releases go through the usual testing/stabilizing cycle.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: