Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
MS Nook?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: MS Nook? Reply with quote

Microsoft invests $300 million in new Barnes & Noble 'strategic partnership'
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be wonderful?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on if they borked it or left it alone. I don't care what kind of apps they make to work with it, but I'm concerned that they'd try to make it a MS product, something like the Kindle.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it, pretty soon you'll have no reason to buy a Nook anymore. Any Windows 8 phone will do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1563
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are forming battle lines with Amazon, probably because of their competing cloud space offerings. The Kindle Fire is kicking ass because of the business model: it is sold at cost because they make money selling content on it. For Microsoft to use it's typical "network effects" advantage, they need to inundate the market with Windows 8 tablets. They can't do that unless they are cheap. With a revenue-sharing agreement with Amazon (which I would guess is the rest of the story behind this), they can sell their tablets cheaply, like the Kindle Fire.

While Google and Amazon are competitors with regard to selling devices, Google is benefiting indirectly because of Amazon's use of Android on the Kindle Fire. If Amazon and Google are smart, they will make friends and agree to standardize the OS rather than fork it. The Kindle Fire may go one way, with a forked version of Android, while Google goes another.

Google doesn't have the content (books, movies, etc.), but they have a head start on very internet-oriented, cloud-based apps. Their Google Docs office suite is far superior to Microsoft's similar offering. I don't know what Apple has in this regard.

What they don't realize is that, because the iPhone and iPad are inexplicably blowing Android away in the corporate BYOD setting, and because the Windows 8 GUI sucks baboon ass, they may both lose out to Apple in the cloud space. Another impact of the BYOD trend is that open data formats and standards will be demanded. Users will no longer tolerate "I can't open this because he created it on a <foo>." That also pinches Microsoft's traditional leverage.

What Apple should do, meanwhile, to take advantage of their current position in with mobile corporate users, is buy a a cloud-based CRM and ERP vendor (something new and innovative like VAI or NetSuite) or form a partnership for cloud-based business apps with Oracle (or maybe IBM could pull it off), who risk being left out of this game. It should also invest heavily in cross-platform IT management systems (they're winning with users but need to also win with IT departments) which are iPad/iPhone and Macintosh friendly.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Google doesn't have the content (books ...
Right, Google has no books. :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1563
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Google doesn't have the content (books ...
Right, Google has no books. :lol:

Okay, so they're dabbling in it.

" :lol: " yuk yuk

What they've done is taken the Android app store and started adding content to it. "Google Books" is almost entirely public domain content, from which they can earn no revenue. To that, they have added a few books; nowhere even beginning to approach the volume of books available from Amazon.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Google is all about public domain content and not about revenue.
You can do better than that. I expect you to write an educational pamphlet of a least two pages including one reference to Oblabla.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1563
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
Sure, Google is all about public domain content and not about revenue.
You can do better than that. I expect you to write an educational pamphlet of a least two pages including one reference to Oblabla.

Asshat strawman. Let's try some fact-based reasoning. Google has about three million books online, of which about 2,900,000 of them are public domain (according to Google). They only launched "Google Play" in March of this year, which is their channel for multimedia content delivery. Google is only just beginning to compete with Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&N's Chief forked tonguE Officer claims it will remain independent. Fortunately content has remained over-priced, so I don't have to worry about future access to content (yet).

BoneKracker wrote:
While Google and Amazon are competitors with regard to selling devices, Google is benefiting indirectly because of Amazon's use of Android on the Kindle Fire. If Amazon and Google are smart, they will make friends and agree to standardize the OS rather than fork it. The Kindle Fire may go one way, with a forked version of Android, while Google goes another.
It seems that they are inherently at odds. Amazon wants their device locked down, Google wants it sort of open.

BoneKracker wrote:
Google doesn't have the content (books, movies, etc.), but they have a head start on very internet-oriented, cloud-based apps. Their Google Docs office suite is far superior to Microsoft's similar offering. I don't know what Apple has in this regard.
Google is also integrating Chrome & G-Drive. As of yet, they haven't really demonstrated a knack for the physical, so I don't see them coming up with a meaningful alternative to Amazon.

BoneKracker wrote:
the iPhone and iPad are inexplicably blowing Android away in the corporate BYOD setting
I've heard of Android replacing Windows infrastructure because of Windows phone contracts expiring with no upgrade path. Otherwise mostly Android, but that's techie focused.

BoneKracker wrote:
What Apple should do, meanwhile, to take advantage of their current position in with mobile corporate users, is buy a a cloud-based CRM and ERP vendor (something new and innovative like VAI or NetSuite) or form a partnership for cloud-based business apps with Oracle (or maybe IBM could pull it off), who risk being left out of this game. It should also invest heavily in cross-platform IT management systems (they're winning with users but need to also win with IT departments) which are iPad/iPhone and Macintosh friendly.
That's where the Jobs vs. Cook comes into play. The quickest way for Apple to lose its stockpile of cash and success will be to lose sight of what they do well. I'm not saying they can't do what you suggest, but I do think it would have to come from a Jobs-like visionary. We'll see what Cook can do. He's probably got a couple of years of laurels, but he's going to have to execute more than a revision bump.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft's rumored tablet may be a Barnes & Noble collaboration with Xbox Live video streaming
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculation of a Windows 8 nook. Would be about the only justification for the investment. Hopefully they don't give up on their other offerings.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nook-Windows-8-Windows-RT-Barnes-Noble-iPad-Mini,17428.html

http://gizmodo.com/5941626/rumor-windows-8-nook-coming-later-this-month
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google To Sell E-Books In France
Quote:
This will be Google Books’ first expansion into a non-English-speaking country. The company already sells e-books in the UK, Canada and Australia. Amazon launched a French Kindle store last year.
Note the absence of the USA. :lol:

Reading on your Android device
Quote:
You can read our books on your Android smartphone or tablet if you have a device that's compatible with Google Play, and has Android OS version 2.2 or later.


Google: No more e-books for indie booksellers
Quote:
Google is reportedly ending its program that allows independent booksellers to sell Google e-books through their websites.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not interested in vesting too many interests in a single vendor. Search, and for now webmail, are more than enough for a single vendor.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big disappointment. I was hoping for a "paperwhite" or something other than a run-of-the-mill tablet.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that'd leave Kobo.

Report: Microsoft thinking of purchasing Nook Media digital assets
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum