Printing problem in Aurora
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Printing problem in Aurora Reply with quote

This is definitely a weird one. I have an OKI C6100 printer which I was able to successfully install and it works with OpenOffice and other files just fine. The problem is with the Aurora web browser. It only gives the option to Print to File or Print to LPR. Using Konqueror, however, I can print normally. I tried to install Firefox, but got this Aurora browser instead and I understand that it is like a version prior to the Firefox beta. For the most part it works OK. I would much prefer to have the latest Firefox browser instead, but have not found out just how to accomplish that. Should I uninstall Aurora or is there some option using emerge that I'm missing? I'm thinking that this might be a way to get the printing problem solved. Any thoughts?

Regards,
~Mark
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurora is a name for the "genericized" firefox without Mozilla branding and such. Basically if you build your own firefox and it's not 100% the same as Mozilla's build the name and branding should be changed for legal/troubleshooting reasons (Mozilla devs don't want to mess with bugs that could be caused by non-standard patches/build settings, etc).

If you change USE=-bindist it should show as Firefox, but I'm not sure if it will help your problem.

There's also firefox-bin which is a 32 bit prebuilt firefox, maybe this isn't what you want as a final solution but might be good to see whether it works in there or not. It could potentially rule out build issues.

Another option is installing another printer and seeing if there's something about the printer that firefox doesn't like.
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found out that about Aurora. I did install firefox-bin but it carried the same version as Aurora and it, too, does the same printing issue as Aurora. I added the keyword in the package.keywords file for firefox-20.0.1 and did another emerge, but even though it gave me firefox, it kept the same version # and printing issue as well. It is just strange to me that Konqueror will print correctly, but firefox refuses to behave. I tried to go the ebuild route but I just don't understand how to make that work. Found an article that instructed me to create /usr/local/portage/www-client/firefox-bin, but it would not allow me to put the ebuild file into it. The permissions were grayed out and I was su'ed in as root. But that's another issue altogether.

Regards,
~Mark
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got Firefox to install, but it is the same version as Aurora: 17.0.5. I know that version 21 is out there but haven't yet figured out how to get the latest version.

The printing problem I will address in another topic since it is broader than I first suspected.

Regards,
~Mark
schrdlu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to advocate,I have recently reinstated the bindist flag,and now firefox refuses toprint to my HP laser jet,where as it printed ok as firefox. As my printer is connected to multiple pc's V my router,I find this inconvenient,having to change computers to get a printout. Or dump aurora and start up konqueror,which has no hassles printing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: