View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: can't install using usb medium [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have a bootable usb stick with the latest gentoo min-install image (04252013-amd64) that i setup using http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml. It boots fine and I can get past the keymap selection menu, but then I get an error stating that the "Squashfs filesystem could not be mounted, dropping into shell." after the point in which it tries to mount /dev/loop0 onto /newroot/mnt/livecd. I then get a busybox shell with some functionality but no eth0 and i'm unable to execute init.

I had the same problem using a unetbootin version.

I know I can use another livecd to proceed/complete the install, but I would prefer to overcome this issue and install using just this usb stick.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by transcend on Wed May 22, 2013 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see now that guide i used is obsolete, so I will use http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Install_Gentoo_on_a_bootable_USB_stick, which seems to be current.

i'm not a fan of cdrom media, and i'm a bit disappointed gentoo doesn't support usb more natively. Unetbootin, for example, doesn't even list gentoo anymore, and i can confirm it doesn't work.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick

Tip: Do not reply to your own posts, edit instead. Replying will exclude your thread from zero-reply search.
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the tips.

Just a note for the iso developers, please don't forget about us. USB >>>>> CDs. It's 2013, not 1993.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transcend wrote:
Thank for the tips.

Just a note for the iso developers, please don't forget about us. USB >>>>> CDs. It's 2013, not 1993.

You can install Gentoo from any 'live' distribution that you care to use, whether its loaded from a CD or USB, which is why Jaglover suggested you use SysrescCD. Personally I've booted from Xubuntu, Knoppix and Mint Linux live USBs to install Gentoo in the last year on a laptop that doesn't have an internal optical drive.

The minimal ISO CD's work for their intended purpose. I would rather Gentoo developers spend time on maintaining and developing packages rather than yet another live USB distro which isn't really needed given that working alternatives already exist.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install Gentoo from a live cd/dvd/usb not a Gentoo installation media itself, mean that you need Internet to download the base system, the Portage and package files. Something you can advoid with a proper Gentoo installation media. Usefull if you have an Internet connectivity problem, including with the non Gentoo host media.

Perhaps an isohybrid ISO9660 Gentoo installation file could give more choices to the users without to mutch work.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transcend wrote:
Thank for the tips.

They don't give a crap, even common network drivers like the bnx2 or iwlwifi do not work unless you manually copy firmware onto the livecd. They should just kill the livecd because it is a joke and a waste of time.
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, using the sysreccd usb installer to write my gentoo image onto a usb, the error cited in the original post was reproduced and I am not able to proceed using just gentoo's image correctly loaded onto a bootable usb stick.

second, for the developers, this isn't something they need to "do", it's something they simply need be aware of.

Although I have yet to identify the source of the problem, it is my opinion at this point that a couple changes to the init script is all it takes, and that those changes only reflect a correct initialization, and that the current one is lazily written to assume the use of a cdrom.

I'm not "stuck" or desperate by any measure. I have the equipment to bypass this. I don't need to use a usb stick at all, since the destination system is a laptop with 2 flavors of linux already installed, 3 nics, with a built in dvd/cdrom, and plenty of free space on the hd for this install.

As I mentioned already, however, I want to overcome this issue and share the fix for others' benefit.

Last edited by transcend on Tue May 07, 2013 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:

They don't give a crap, even common network drivers like the bnx2 or iwlwifi do not work unless you manually copy firmware onto the livecd. They should just kill the livecd because it is a joke and a waste of time.

The livecd team is obviously preoccupied with other stuff in their lives or needs to be expanded by a few more people.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:
They don't give a crap, even common network drivers like the bnx2 or iwlwifi do not work unless you manually copy firmware onto the livecd.

Or maybe it's you who doesn't give a crap about the legality of distributing a binary kernel with non-GPL2 firmware linked in?

Not everyone has the convenience of being insignificant enough to ignore licencing obligations.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transcend wrote:
first of all, using the sysreccd usb installer to write my gentoo image onto a usb, the error cited in the original post was reproduced and I am not able to proceed using just gentoo's image correctly loaded onto a bootable usb stick.

You misunderstood, the idea is to install from SysRescueCd. Not sure how many people use Gentoo install, I've never used it myself, my very first install back in 2004 was using Knoppix.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Suicidal wrote:
They don't give a crap, even common network drivers like the bnx2 or iwlwifi do not work unless you manually copy firmware onto the livecd.

Or maybe it's you who doesn't give a crap about the legality of distributing a binary kernel with non-GPL2 firmware linked in?

Not everyone has the convenience of being insignificant enough to ignore licencing obligations.

The simple truth is when these drivers get loaded they attempt to load their firmware, if they cant the device does not work.
If the driver does not work what good is the livecd other than for holding a cup of coffee.

Loading firmware from userspace via sys-kernel/linux-firmware is not a violation.
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:

If the driver does not work what good is the livecd other than for holding a cup of coffee.

Unless the image was written to a USB, in which case there's no coaster, just curse the devs or your hardware and rewrite the usb with your favorite, time-tested livecd from any working os. Rewriting the image to a usb is also much faster than cdrom media. The advantages of usb over cd media are obvious and the crusade will not die with this thread.
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
transcend wrote:

You misunderstood, the idea is to install from SysRescueCd. Not sure how many people use Gentoo install, I've never used it myself, my very first install back in 2004 was using Knoppix.

Yes, I knew something was askew with my understanding when I had to use the windows usb installer... Still tho, same error.

My first linux install was actually gentoo way back in the day when T robbins was still involved, simply because it supported dual processors which no other os could, linux or other. Kind of got disenchanted with the gnome/kde instability (back then) and the mainstream graphical OSes caught up a few years later. Back into it now cause i can appreciate the level of customization and platform support.

(haha, there i go double posting again.... anyway, I'm going to install gentoo from my kali build tonight, unless I get sidetracked or blockheaded)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transcend wrote:
Unless the image was written to a USB, in which case there's no coaster

CD-RWs have been ubiquitous for a good decade or so too. Fastest way to try a bunch of distros on USB 1.1 hardware...
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the latest (6.41) multibootusb program (@sourceforge) I was able to boot the latest amd64-minimal (20130516) image to a fully loaded shell. Only hiccup I had was that my usb keyboard had to get manually reset, but that may be because of the crappy external hub i'm using... tho, the other live images I booted from didn't give me that hiccup. anyway, SOLVED.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick

Do You mean as a solution to boot Sysresccd and from it's shell install Gentoo?

Since there is no gentoo atom for multibootusb I downloaded the generic binary but it was missing grb3 and I did not want to hazzle with this.

I think that USB-Stick-Boot-Support should be given nowadays, I am no fan of CDROMs, too (and my new silent Nano PC has no CDROM drive, either).

Tried Unetbootin before, too, and it did not work.

This 3,5 year old page

http://www.gentoo.de/doc/en/liveusb.xml

should be edited to note: "There is no support to boot Gentoo Images from USB-Stick. Use other USB Linux distros to get a shell from which You can install Gentoo then."
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multibootusb needs gambas3 to run, which also has no gentoo atom, but is installable in most other linux distros by adding their repo. it runs in windoze like a charm and i appreciate the fact that there's no installer or drop down distro list.

dd still doesn't work with that latest min images.

you could always just replicate what multibootusb is doing which is, afaik, decompressing the iso with 7zip, and copying the contents to a syslinux mbr formatted usbstick, then editting the boot menu accordingly. I haven't tried it and there may be a few special settings i'm overlooking.

but if you have windows this is a great program. unlike YUMI which doesn't decompress the iso's, nor has a built in qemu, and doesn't work (with gentoo), and has the annoying distro drop down list (i'll download the iso myself tyvm). And unlike unetbootin, it supports multiple iso's on one stick, which is a marvelous feature. It's also very clean, keeping your root directory free from any files other than it's singular directory, so you can use your stick for other file storage cleanly. I currently have 11 distro's on my 32gb stick with about 14gb to spare for other files.

nevertheless, you're correct in that the deprecated gentoo create live usb guide should mention it's lack of usability for the min images. I'm not sure if it works with the larger live-dvd image, but it may. then again, i'm pretty sure good old fashioned dd writes work with the live dvd image, but again, if you have windows or can be bothered with installing a repo for gambas on another linux distro, the multibootusb program is the way to go.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1970 wrote:
Jaglover wrote:

Do You mean as a solution to boot Sysresccd and from it's shell install Gentoo?

Yes. My first Gentoo install was from Knoppix, then I used to use GRML (which is a great project BTW), now I just go with Sysrescue. It is beneficial to keep it in one of your USB sticks anyway, so why go thru all that trouble downloading Gentoo install ISO and finding out it doesn't work on your hardware?
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
why go thru all that trouble downloading Gentoo install ISO and finding out it doesn't work on your hardware?

gentoo will work on all hardware, you just have to make it happen, it's just harder on some than others.

and yea, sysrescuecd works flawlessly as a gentoo install shell. mirrorselect and other gentoo apps are built it, pre-chroot. its apps and minimalistic xfce (or is it openbox, not sure) are nice too. just a tad large for my ancient 256mb stick, but they have documentation available to mod the iso. a+ distro for sure.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)

Yes, Gentoo will work on "all hardware". It's just the Gentoo install CD/DVD that won't.
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Devs, are you kidding me? Reply with quote

I've just gone through 4 USB sticks and 4 hours of time thinking I had created a ton of mistakes and now I see this thread....

So let me summarize, I can not longer use Unitbootin (sp?) to write a minimal gentoo iso to a cd to use as a utility boot?

DEVS! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Have you guys lost it?
I can't boot from USB anymore with a gentoo ISO?

You can't be living on the same planet as me. Who made that decision? Its nuts!

And what are we all suppose to do if our MBR gets fowled up and we need to boot to chroot to fix things?
How is this done now?

A CD? again, with more feeling...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 80% of laptops don't even have CDs and most of my servers don't.

All I can say is...
the stage 3 iso MUST be able to boot from USB PERIOD!!!!

I need to backup and I would like one of the missile scientists that removed the ability for the stage 3 iso to boot from USB to tell me how to:
1. Rescue a broken gentoo system from USB,
2. Do a bash based dd backup when booting from a USB.

What a mess.

If something is NOT broken, PLEASE don't fix it.

John
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys:

This look to be not a gentoo issue but Linux everywhere....
I just tried to boot arch linux from a USB stick and similar error, it can't find its boot files after init boot.

Trying fedora now....

How did all of this get messed up so badly when I wasn't looking?

Cheers,
john
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All:

Found one that worked.
Torrented down the fedora 18 amd64 XFCE iso and it booted up and worked fine.
I'm doing my DD backup now.

Seriously, the gentoo devs have to fix this. I used to laugh at the windows crowd for how easy linux was to put on USB sticks and now the shoe is on the other foot. Linux broke itself?

I'm still shaking my head over this.

A mess to be sure.

John
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, it is a mess...

as far as i know, most, or around half the distro's will work on usb by just dd-ing them (or using any "generic" iso to usb writer program. rufus is a great one for windows. on macs I use a raspberry pi iso writer program that works faster than dd for any iso i need to write to usb). I abhor unetbootin. YUMI is better. And imo, multibootusb is a better program than YUMI, but they work differently, so some iso's that work with YUMI don't work with mulitbootusb, and vise-versa.

arch linux should work off of usb installing with either YUMI or multibootusb. I can followup later with confirmation. I didn't really like fedora, but it's not bad at all.

simple answer for gentoo users is to use systemrescuecd which is deeply based on gentoo, easily installs to usb sticks, has a bunch of great apps to compliment a gentoo shell, and is actively updated/developed. giving them a hit is not a bad policy as a gentoo user.

i installed gentoo last month off of the min image written to usb with multibootusb. now i prefer to use systemrescuecd just for the xfce i use while it's installing phase 1-stage 3 even though i have the gentoo min-image sitting there on my usb's grub menu.

DEATH TO CD/DVD media!!!!!! /spit on them and their supporters.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: