Intel HD Graphics (CPU) drivers vs NVIDIA/ATI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Segan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Intel HD Graphics (CPU) drivers vs NVIDIA/ATI Reply with quote

Hello, I have thought about creating a computer for putting on Gentoo, and will be used mainly 2D and 3D occasional undemanding game / old. I read that the drivers are very good, and is a thousand times more efficient than Nvidia and ATI. Is this true? Intel in Linux is the best option for PC for movies, videos, TV series, (flash player), web, etc.?

Regards!
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm... for a lean set up without heavy graphics work AMD FUSION are the best. Now that they've included UVD they are ahead of anything else. Intel lacks video accel.
Segan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_______0 wrote:
mm... for a lean set up without heavy graphics work AMD FUSION are the best. Now that they've included UVD they are ahead of anything else. Intel lacks video accel.

intel haven't got video accel? seriously?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main reason for going Intel is that it is open source, and tends to be pretty good compared to the nvidia/ati OSS drivers.
The driver is not perfect. It's a work in progress. The problem I do have with the drivers is sometimes it has drawing artifacts in OpenGL mode.

The hardware is not nearly as fast as the latest offering from nVidia/ATI with their respective closed source drivers. It is very cheap indeed which is probably why anyone is interested in this hardware.

I own HD3000 and HD4000 variants and they are fast enough to run some 3D games, even World of Warcraft in Wine. The graphics do suck up a lot of power (relatively speaking) and since my HD4000 is in a laptop/ultrabook, it's power restricted and can be slow at times...
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Intel HD Graphics (CPU) drivers vs NVIDIA/ATI Reply with quote

Segan wrote:
Hello, I have thought about creating a computer for putting on Gentoo, and will be used mainly 2D and 3D occasional undemanding game / old. ..... Intel in Linux is the best option for PC for movies, videos, TV series, (flash player), web, etc.?

I run Gentoo testing, Funtoo current, and Sabayon 13.04 on an Intel board DH67CL with HD3000 video and am very happy with everything about it -- it's the smoothest Linux system I've ever had. Graphics support is great, acceleration just works fine. All of the i/o and graphic subsystems work out of the box with each of these distros --- 7.1 HD audio, usb microphone, X/OpenGL graphics, bluetooth, SATA 3.0, SATA 6.0, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, eSATA, gigabit ethernet. I alternate between GNOME 3.6, KDE 4.10, and xmonad. Graphic effects are smooth and beautiful.

As for heat -- I've been amazed at how much work this system can do without getting hot. I did choose a 65-watt cpu with four real cores (instead of the more lustful 95-watt series), and gave it 16 GB of ram, and been glad for that decision. I can encode a movie with handbrake, encoding 60 fps, while emerging an update, with MAKEOPTS="-j3", and browsing Internet or watching a movie without noticing any glitches; and the maximum cpu temperature I hit is a little less than 58 C. I generally never see temps above 55 C and normally run at about 45 C even while compiling. (Intel stock fan on a 2405s i5 cpu in a Fractal Design Define R3 case with three 120 mm fans running almost inaudible at approx 1000 rpm).

Good luck with your new Gentoo system! The Gentoo ecosystem is a great place to do computing.

--
Sit quietly, doing nothing, spring comes and the grass grows by itself.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah "relative" is relative, it's nowhere near what my ATI RadeonHD 5770 eats. In fact my i7 *system* at full load eats less power than just the RadeonHD (in my Core2Quad machine) can pull at full load... Yow!

Then again the 5770 will mine bitcoins and draw 3d far faster...
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loot at it this way:

intel + money = - features/graphics

amd - money = + features/graphics (down to specific CPU extensions)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segan wrote:
_______0 wrote:

intel haven't got video accel? seriously?

No, that's complete BS. They're the only ones with native VAAPI support (i.e. hardware MPEG2/4 in an open driver), and have been since it was introduced.
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice chart to check the work in progress.
http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: