apache is crawling of a sudden...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toastermonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: apache is crawling of a sudden... Reply with quote

Ok, gentoo running...hm, not actually sure what kernel. 2.4.18, apache 1.3.26 and the most recent mod_php. Right, it's been running decently well, serving 1 website that requires nearly no bandwidth. I don't have it workign with reverse DNS but this hasn't provided me with any problems. However, recently, I've been experiencing very, very slow load times on my site, the banner takes its sweet time to come up, other images take a while. I'm talking a difference of what used to be 2s and is now somewhere around 40 - 60 seconds. The server itself isn't really handling any more load than it was before the slowdown, and being SSHed, I don't experience any latency. I can use BitchX and get good pings, I can ping the server from anywhere and I get prompt replies, but apache is just chunkin' on the images. I'm really not sure why. I've restarted the service, it's just not DOING more than it was, there's no reason for it to change. by the way, the image is 13k, takes anywhere from 30 - 60 seconds to load. Any suggestions would be great :)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: apache is crawling of a sudden... Reply with quote

toastermonkey wrote:
I don't have it workign with reverse DNS but this hasn't provided me with any problems.

Can you get this working? I've found failure to register things properly with reverse DNS can cause slowdowns of the sort you describe with a variety of network software.
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, websites without reverse dns are fairly common, i.e. named based virtual hosts (many virtual servers on one IP)

first you should try to find out if its a server problem (apache/php/perhaps mysql) or network. look at the load and the logs of the server, and do a tcpdump on the outgoing network device to see what exactly is happening, try if you can see some abnormal traffic on that device..
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mglauche wrote:
hmm, websites without reverse dns are fairly common, i.e. named based virtual hosts (many virtual servers on one IP)

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear (as usual :)). I meant that I've seen problems in the case where the machine doesn't resolve to anything on a reverse DNS lookup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: