Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
type definition in C: howto define a binary type?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: type definition in C: howto define a binary type? Reply with quote

does anyone know how to define a type that has the size of one bit? I have to write some testbranches for an ALU (verilog) and I want to be able to compute with a type that is exactly like it's real implementation.

So it must be a 32bit-array and the elements must have the size of 1bit. I know of course that I could use bool, but I would like to know how to implement such a type by myself.

Since it is very easy to create new types with existing one and because one can access bits in C, this should be possible?! (has the type bool in C really the size of 1 bit?)
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: type definition in C: howto define a binary type? Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
does anyone know how to define a type that has the size of one bit? I have to write some testbranches for an ALU (verilog) and I want to be able to compute with a type that is exactly like it's real implementation.

So it must be a 32bit-array and the elements must have the size of 1bit. I know of course that I could use bool, but I would like to know how to implement such a type by myself.

Since it is very easy to create new types with existing one and because one can access bits in C, this should be possible?! (has the type bool in C really the size of 1 bit?)

what's the size of bool: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1608318/is-bool-a-native-c-type

how to shift bits n stuff: http://www.edaboard.com/thread214799.html

Not sure if there is a 1-bit type in C99, but back in the days, bool didn't exist and it was macroed on top of int
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure if there is a 1-bit type in C99, but back in the days, bool didn't exist and it was macroed on top of int

yes I know, but since int has a size of 32bits in most systems it's a bit a waste to use such a type to model true and false. Even the type char would be better.

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/node13.html
this was a link at the bottom of your link. seems a bit strange to define a struct with several unsigned int members just to define a binary type. :)

I thought back in the early days of C memory was expensive and they tried to write code as memory efficient as possible, so it's strange that there isn't a bit type and the lack of booleans.

I wonder how they program things like those mars-robots. don't they have to spare every possible bit?
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a whole lot about cpu architectures but I would probably say those assertions about memory efficiency are wrong Lotek.

If you think about it x32 and 32 bit registers. whether you stick 1 bit, byte, or int into it the 'memory' consumption of the cpu remains the same (aka one register). If we start thinking about L1/L2 caches, I would expect that they are all optimized for moving large ( compared to a single bit ) amounts of memory around, I would assume it would be difficult and inefficient to attempt to support single bits. Also note that if the cache moves a power of 2 around, then supporting 1 bit would mean that essentually you lose a whole lot of bits as waste ( e.g. if its 32 bit and you transfer a single bit, what are the 31 other bits doing).

what good are admin powers if you don't abuse them for personal gain - mark_alec
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, but I would not want to move around single bits, but if the CPU has 32bit registers I would want to work with 32bit arrays and interprete them as 32digit binary numbers.

So an int is actually a 32bit-array, isn't it? I realize I could work with them after all. :)

but if you are right why do people use for example short int? Since they have a size of 16bits on most systems, why use them on a 32bit architecture?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
I see, but I would not want to move around single bits, but if the CPU has 32bit registers I would want to work with 32bit arrays and interprete them as 32digit binary numbers.

So an int is actually a 32bit-array, isn't it? I realize I could work with them after all. :)

but if you are right why do people use for example short int? Since they have a size of 16bits on most systems, why use them on a 32bit architecture?

int is not guaranteed 32-bit, its architecture dependant.

do a sizeof(int)
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

do a sizeof(int)

I know, but it's 32bit on most systems.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

do a sizeof(int)

hence loads of money being burned fixing stuff like that.
couple of things you cannot take for granted:

- sizeof(something)
- byte order (ok less common buy still)
- alignment
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

do a sizeof(int)

hence loads of money being burned fixing stuff like that.
couple of things you cannot take for granted:

- sizeof(something)
- byte order (ok less common buy still)
- alignment

indeed. I always write for example
Code:
int *foo = malloc (n * sizeof (int));
even if I know that I will run the program only on one machine. Maybe the byte order is not very common because most systems are little endian today? What do you mean with alignment problems?

but are they any desktops/laptops that don't have 32bit integer size today? I thought smaller sizes are common in embedded systems, smartphones etc.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
What do you mean with alignment problems?

Not sure if you're gonna encounter this one nowadays, but back then it used to make your head explode:

http://askldjd.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/memory-alignment-problems/
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't make an independent data structure that takes just 1 bit, or indeed anything other than a multiple of 8. (some architectures require a multiple of 4, 8, or even 16 bytes) You can use a bit field with 32 (or whatever) 1 bit objects in it. Then you access them with 'alu_data.property_1' or whatever.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: