"These packages are not supposed to be merged directly"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: "These packages are not supposed to be merged directly& Reply with quote

I got this warning somehow, recently, on an old machine

Code:
!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- dev-embedded/avr-libc-1.4.4::__unknown__ (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Diego E. Pettenò <flameeyes@gentoo.org> (03 Jan 2009)
# These packages are not supposed to be merged directly, instead
# please use sys-devel/crossdev to install them.

If I remember correctly, I *did* use crossdev to install it several years ago :)

Probably an old version of crossdev, but nevertheless crossdev.

Now this is indeed an old version and I've held it back for a long time as it (and avr-gcc) worked just fine compiling for my AVRs...

Is there a way to quiet this warning? What is the problem with the package now that has been like that for years, though it is probably nonconformant to standards?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not using FEATURES=buildpkg I'd make a qpkg of it (see man q and man qpkg, both from portage-utils), then uninstall it and start again with a fresh crossdev install (after putting 'buildpkg' in FEATURES if I were you). If it's been that long, I doubt you're going to want to keep the old package, but at least you can. You're likely going to need to qpkg at least some of the dependencies also, though, so take a look at emerge -ept <foo>.

TBH if it's really been years, you're usually better off reinstalling Gentoo, than going through all the upgrades in the interim. If you must do the latter, take a look at update, in particular /etc/warning as it should have most of the major breakages in that time, along with what you need to do to get past them. It does them automatically, but you'd have to do a major upgrade in pieces, and if you're not used to update, you might prefer just using the info with emerge. (It takes all sorts;)

#gentoo-embedded on IRC:chat.freenode.net if you need to catch up.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the machine is up to date but I've had a mask on all newer versions of these packages (avr-libc and avr-gcc) to prevent upgrades on these only - the rest of the system have mostly been up to date and synced (it's been only about 4 months since last update).

The packages are avr-libc-1.4.4 and avr-gcc-3.3-r1 - these have long gone away from portage and though I can probably save the ebuilds they probably won't work anymore...

Hmm...
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Actually the machine is up to date but I've had a mask on all newer versions of these packages

The packages are avr-libc-1.4.4 and avr-gcc-3.3-r1 - these have long gone away from portage and though I can probably save the ebuilds they probably won't work anymore...

Hmm...

I'd just qpkg them then, if you want to be sure you still have the binaries, then install new versions. That way, you can rollback to the older versions, assuming they're running now.

If you're really paranoid about it, then you can do it in a chroot (just untar a stage3 and export ROOT afair, but you'd have more experience on that than I do.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: