[SOLVED] emerging "older ebuilds"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] emerging "older ebuilds" Reply with quote

Is there any documentation how to setup/get "older ebuilds" the one removed from current portage?

Last edited by Joseph_sys on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys,

Theres a lots. The handbook tells your how to set up your local overlay.
Old ebuilds are in the portage attic

The hard bit is finding all the files old ebuilds need.

Make your overlay, add your ebuilds to it. fetch your distfiles, if the ebuilds can't and make the manifests to match.
emerge in the normal way.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Joseph_sys,

Theres a lots. The handbook tells your how to set up your local overlay.
Old ebuilds are in the portage attic

The hard bit is finding all the files old ebuilds need.

Make your overlay, add your ebuilds to it. fetch your distfiles, if the ebuilds can't and make the manifests to match.
emerge in the normal way.

I've used layman some time ago and it wasn't that hard but I can not seems to find "portage attic" in there.
There is "portage-backup"

Lets suppose I want install "poppler-0.18.4-r2"
Do I just download the ebuild from:
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-text/poppler/poppler-0.18.4-r2.ebuild?hideattic=0&view=log
and place it in: /usr/local/portage ?

I have in make.conf
Code:
source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-text/poppler/poppler-0.18.4-r2.ebuild?hideattic=0&view=log
Not exactly. You need to
  • Download the ebuild and put in in <path-to-overlay>/<category>/<packagename>. For your case, that would be /usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler. (The repository structure mirrors the required Portage tree structure.)
  • Go ahead & create the files directory under that package directory.
  • Manifest the ebuild. At this point, Portage may very well complain about missing files. Download those from the repository. Repeat until you get a good manifest.
  • You had the make.conf changes almost correct. Swap the order of those lines and you'll be good. If you look in the file that you're sourcing, you'll see why. ;)
This topic comes up periodically because, I think, although the comprehensive documentation exists, it's a not all in one place. I may write an Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Overlays but Were Afraid to Ask document. :)

- John
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys,

Almost. Under /usr/local/portage, you need to create the same directory structure as in /usr/portage - hence the term 'overlay'
Empty directories are not required.

You poppler ebuild would go into /usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler

The portage attic is not in layman. Its a gentoo repository of all the ebuilds that were ever in the portage tree. Notice the hideattic=0 in your link. This shows ebuilds that are no longer in the tree.

After you have your ebuild, you must digest it - this step will download the source files and build the manifest.
Code:
ebuild  /usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler/poppler-0.18.4-r2.ebuild manifest
will do that.
If the sources are not found, you will have to hunt for them and place them in your distfiles by hand.

To emerge it use
Code:
emerge =poppler-0.18.4-r2

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Joseph_sys wrote:
Not exactly. You need to
  • Download the ebuild and put in in <path-to-overlay>/<category>/<packagename>. For your case, that would be /usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler. (The repository structure mirrors the required Portage tree structure.)
  • Go ahead & create the files directory under that package directory.
  • Manifest the ebuild. At this point, Portage may very well complain about missing files. Download those from the repository. Repeat until you get a good manifest.
  • You had the make.conf changes almost correct. Swap the order of those lines and you'll be good. If you look in the file that you're sourcing, you'll see why. ;)
This topic comes up periodically because, I think, although the comprehensive documentation exists, it's a not all in one place. I may write an Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Overlays but Were Afraid to Ask document. :)

- John

Thanks John and NeddySeagoon, I was almost there, I created the directory "/usr/local/portage/app-text/" but got a complain about structure; sure I was missing ".../poppler/
another good pointer is running manifest should be run with complete path, I remember now.

Now I have to hunt for the patch :-)
* QA: File or directory "/usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler/files/poppler-0.18.4-newline.patch" does not exist.

I was thinking that with today's state of automation this process should be a bit easier to use :-)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:
I was thinking that with today's state of automation this process should be a bit easier to use :-)
Nope. Never going to happen. These packages have been deleted from the Portage tree for a reason. Some for vulnerabilities and/or bug fixes, some just because of feature creep. In any case, maintaining lots of versions of packages strains your friendly volunteer developers too much. It should be an exceptional process to get them back.

- John
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Joseph_sys wrote:
Nope. Never going to happen. These packages have been deleted from the Portage tree for a reason. Some for vulnerabilities and/or bug fixes, some just because of feature creep. In any case, maintaining lots of versions of packages strains your friendly volunteer developers too much. It should be an exceptional process to get them back.

- John

This development is going too fast without proper checking, after latest upgraded I'm stuck with few bugs.
Found one bug: meld-1.7.0 is buggy should not be used 1.6.0 works.
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=452930

Do you know by any chance which application is responsible for entry in "Print" window "Print to file" so you can print to PS or PDF
I suspect it is buggy as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: