vim vs sublime
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: vim vs sublime Reply with quote

http://delvarworld.github.io/blog/2013/03/16/just-use-sublime-text/

does anyone agree/disagree with the article, especially with this statement: ?
Quote:
The point of a mouse is to make arbitrary on screen jumps efficient, and it’s very good at doing that. Don’t you ever think you can beat a mouse. Only in very few edge cases will it even matter.

"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is all especially scary because Vim out of the box is awful. I can’t stress how bad of an editor vanilla Vim is. Plugins are essential to make Vim usable.

I disagree with that, I use an almost vanilla vim instance, i do have a sweet .vimrc to get some improved display characteristics but thats about it.

I use sublime and vim constantly, all day every day. Given the unqualified choice, I would choose sublime but given that I do a lot of SSH terminal sessions... vim is just great.

Quote:
Vim is Oddly Bad at Indenting

This is true. I never really figured out how to paste in code segments and have it adhere to indentation consistently.
ManDay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also gvim and vim with gpm support, if you want it. In the end, it's a matter of taste. I'm using (vanilla) vim exclusively and althought VIM has at least one horrific flaw (no support for threading), I've found that I'm most efficient working with gvim compared to working with editors where commands are not just one keystroke ":" away.

PS: I, also, wouldn't recommend vim to anyone. I just use it.

And: Forgive my ignorance, but the author appears to deliberately ignore the fact that sublime is not FOSS.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you please post your .vimrc? I always look for new config files, because I'm not really confident with mine. A friend of mine uses Sublime and sent me the article, but because it's not FOSS I will not use it anyway.

I just don't believe that you are faster with a mouse then with keystrokes, even if you are not a super-vim-pro. On my thinkpad I have a trackpoint which I use quite often, so I have not to move my hands when I need the mouse. If I wouldn't have a trackpoint I would try to completely avoid the mouse.

Quote:
This is true. I never really figured out how to paste in code segments and have it adhere to indentation consistently.

you mean besides the not very confortable
Code:
/lineX,lineYcopylineZ
? but although I don't know very much commands it's horrible when I can't write/program with the different modi. I also disagree with the authors opinion that you use only 1% of the available commands (maybe I do, but not a more advanced user) for "daily use".
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
Quote:
This is all especially scary because Vim out of the box is awful. I can’t stress how bad of an editor vanilla Vim is. Plugins are essential to make Vim usable.

I disagree with that, I use an almost vanilla vim instance, i do have a sweet .vimrc to get some improved display characteristics but thats about it.

I use sublime and vim constantly, all day every day. Given the unqualified choice, I would choose sublime but given that I do a lot of SSH terminal sessions... vim is just great.

Quote:

:paste. Should switch vim to the correct mode forthat
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I too disagree. I am far far far from a vim super pro, but all i really use is their latex plugin.

touching the mouse is so slow.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno. from my perspective, instead of pretending that chevrolet corvair is awesome car, why not move along?

This guy is at least trying:
http://www.chris-granger.com/2012/04/12/light-table---a-new-ide-concept/
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: vim vs sublime Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
http://delvarworld.github.io/blog/2013/03/16/just-use-sublime-text/

Quote:
The point of a mouse is to make arbitrary on screen jumps efficient, and it’s very good at doing that. Don’t you ever think you can beat a mouse. Only in very few edge cases will it even matter.

sublime is a pay for application, vim isn't
I have used quite a large number of editors over they years and there has actually been one (well notepad but I don't count that) that has consistently existed and has only improved... vim

GUI's are great when the exact thing you need todo isn't fully know, the gui provides you with a nice means to visually navigate.
keyboard interaction however... Some things may be faster by the mouse to hit a TOOLBAR icon, but not all... also not everyone uses a laptop, my mouse is usually quite far away from the keyboard and if you can touchtype with a reasonable speed the keys of vim are quite quick
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dunno. from my perspective, instead of pretending that chevrolet corvair is awesome car, why not move along?

vim is not a chevrolet corvair, at most something like K.I.T.T. or maybe only David Hasselhoff?! :)

Quote:
This guy is at least trying:
http://www.chris-granger.com/2012/04/12/light-table---a-new-ide-concept/

Looks nice, have you tried it?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to fiddle with it soon, have too much on my plate atm :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: vim vs sublime Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:
The underlined part seems reasonable. Beating a mouse would depend on the task. The keyboard is often faster, if you know how to use it.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: vim vs sublime Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Quote:
The underlined part seems reasonable. Beating a mouse would depend on the task. The keyboard is often faster, if you know how to use it.

I love these kind of statements.
They are absolutly 100% correct. But they're also missing the point:
You can't beat a mouse at making arbitrary screen jumps. But you don't want to make arbitrary screen jumps. You want to jump to positions in text, organized into lines, grouped into sentences and words. That is why even oh-so-mouse-driven editor will have a "go to line xy" functionality.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
could you please post your .vimrc?

I use one based on this person's work.

https://github.com/amix/vimrc
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: vim vs sublime Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
That is why even oh-so-mouse-driven editor will have a "go to line xy" functionality.
Indeed. And it is a great feature to have. But when I'm drawing a box or circle and want to place it for visual appeal, the mouse wins. And if you don't know the exact coordinates of an existing item you want to cut and paste, arbitrary on screen jumps are quite the handy tool to have at your disposal. Missing the point is fun, isn't it? (not to mention arbitrary) :P

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: