Proper steps for creating a DHCP, LDAP and DNS server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbee 12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Proper steps for creating a DHCP, LDAP and DNS server Reply with quote

[quote/]NewBee 12 I have my Gentoo !2.1 Server up and runnign now i would like to create a DNS, LDAP and DHCP on this server that is all it will be running. My questions are: :?
1. Is there a proper order to install and configure these 3 packages. For example should I emerge LDAP first DHCP second and DNS third?
2. Can/should I emerge the packages I want and configure at a later time?
3. Should this server be hardened after I do all this?

I appricate the community support... you folks have been a real asset to this noob getting her server up and running.
[/quote] :)
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want these services independent of each other, or get DHCP/DNS information from the LDAP directory? In the first case the installation/configuration order doesn't really matter, in the second case you obviously want to install+setup LDAP first, likely followed by DHCP and DNS coming last. But that also depends on which packages you're actually using.
LDAP/DHCP/DNS are protocols, not packages. Each protocol can be implemented by multiple alternative packages, and a single package can implement multiple protocols. Also not every package implementing DHCP and/or DNS will support a LDAP backend.
Newbee 12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so to the first answer, I will be building more servers for our File Sharing, Applications and Telecom. I am under the assumption that I need to emerge each package OpenLDAP-Bind-DHCP for each of the protocols unless i can find an all in one that works with the Gentoo. I am so new to this that I am really confused on how/what package are used or the best. I have been researching but to not much use. All I know is the IT Manger would like a Linux server that runs these protocols. He wants to rid us of MS products. Also how or where can I find more information for setting this all up with our existing MS domain.... :?:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: