View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English weather is pretty much what I grew up with, but I prefer the harsher weather of eastern canada/US. You get 4 real seasons. A cold winter (with snow and ice skating), a spring and a goddam real summer, where you may want to where shorts and long for a beach with cold water. You get substantially more sun too.

I can't stand cold summers.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Whoa, stop EVERYTHING!!!

A Way Better Deal Directly from Cree

A 13W CFL will match a 60W incandescent. This bastard eats less than 10W, and goes for just over $10 per bulb. It has a five-star rating on average. No shit.

Thanks for the lead on this. Since I hate all CFLs. My lady though cannot stand LEDs in any application. I'm glad to say that she wasn't even aware I had installed an LED, that's how good these are. Once I told her and she looked AT the bulb (which I immediately told her I didn't recommend for any type of bulb) then she was bothered by it. But she has conceded that these bulbs are the best replacement in our home now that we cannot get incandescent bulbs.

Again, thanks.

Just wanted to write a sort of little mini-review for any others considering these.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
juniper wrote:
Scottish wool. that shits good.

That would be due to the human DNA in Scottish sheep.

:lol: :lol:
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Old School wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
Old School wrote:

You're thinking of Wales.

Scotland, England, Wales, New Zealand. They all look the same to me.

You'd make an excellent Republican president with that insight.

Once again, you are one hundred and eighty degrees off. The Republican Presidents have honored the "special relationship" between the US and UK. It is geniuses like Obummer that totally dis the Commonwealth.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Old School wrote:

You're thinking of Wales.

I thought the stereotype was that Wales was comprised entirely of Live Action Role Players. Are they industrious enough to have sheep? :) I kid, I kid!

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the given number of lumens in my house, here's a breakdown of required power by bulb type:

Incandescent: 1,150 watts
CFL: 280 watts
LED: 148 watts

I changed out the last CFL today.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
For the given number of lumens in my house, here's a breakdown of required power by bulb type:

Incandescent: 1,150 watts
CFL: 280 watts

I changed out the last CFL today.

got any opinions on the phillips hue? I spent some time recently hardware hacking of a beagleboard+arduino setup that can control the hue (it has a built in wifi chipset ).
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is that the cost savings of the LED bulb would be offset, at least partially by the controllers ( run off of 5v leads ). i dunno. $60 a bulb is a bit steep :D
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
my guess is that the cost savings of the LED bulb would be offset, at least partially by the controllers ( run off of 5v leads ). i dunno. $60 a bulb is a bit steep :D
Yes, but just imagine the aroma of your own 2013 vintage farts.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:

The going rate for good LED bulbs now is between $9 and $13.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeshedding
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following are not trivial in my home:

1. Full brightness the instant the switch is flipped.
2. Half the power consumption.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

I think he is saying that there are diminishing returns.

That is why my earlier post included only basic things. I have found that with a family of four, there is not much I can do beyond getting a cheap tariff (this is by far the most important), turning off the lights when not in use, and having cheap bulbs in non-sitting rooms. Why? I don't know how much you pay, but I pay approximately 40 pounds a month in electricity bills. I think it would take me A LOT of work to shave the bill down to half that and there might be a cost (shitty lighting).

The way I handle this crap is that once a year I find new companies to take care of our stuff. Of my major bills in the UK, the only ones with no competition is local property tax and car parking (the total is about 2000 pounds/year). Everything else (house insurance, car insurance, energy, mobile phone, landlines) are subject to intense competition. Energy costs can move by maximum 10% or so, so by switching I can save about 100 pounds/year. Insurance (car and house) can move by 20% or so for 200 pounds/year. So, by changing companies I can usually shave about 400 pounds/year off (of course, not all that is savings, some of that is balanced by the rise in prices).

I can't really do this for more than a day a year, but I am happy with that trade off.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing is in domestic and industrial the biggest consumers of electrical power is spaceheating (inc electric oven, kettle, hairdryer) and electrical machine (ie fridges, washing machine, vacuum's...)
iirc ~ 70% of the UK electrical power is used by industry and ~70% of that is on electrical machine (hence the drive about 15years ago to BLAC inverters to replace the massively inefficiently induction machines)

Lighting may be a small contributor (how many lights do you have on alot? even with my 15ceiling mounts there are only like... 5 that would be on for most of the evening) but changing from Incandescent at least a step 100W --> 18W for Incandescent to CFL is good. CFL have that nasty mercury to deal with to CFL --> LED isn't so much todo with power saving but that damn mercury and the quality of the light

to actually make a significant dent in the power usage sure you can increase the efficiency of the big hitter apliances but at the end of the day if you are after financial savings you won't get it from improved domestic efficency (all our big hitter appliances are A rated yet our bills keep going up... ie efficiency is being outstripped by cost increase) is to reduce usage or provide your own generation
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
the thing is in domestic and industrial the biggest consumers of electrical power is spaceheating (inc electric oven, kettle, hairdryer) and electrical machine (ie fridges, washing machine, vacuum's...)
iirc ~ 70% of the UK electrical power is used by industry and ~70% of that is on electrical machine (hence the drive about 15years ago to BLAC inverters to replace the massively inefficiently induction machines)

Lighting may be a small contributor (how many lights do you have on alot? even with my 15ceiling mounts there are only like... 5 that would be on for most of the evening) but changing from Incandescent at least a step 100W --> 18W for Incandescent to CFL is good. CFL have that nasty mercury to deal with to CFL --> LED isn't so much todo with power saving but that damn mercury and the quality of the light

to actually make a significant dent in the power usage sure you can increase the efficiency of the big hitter apliances but at the end of the day if you are after financial savings you won't get it from improved domestic efficency (all our big hitter appliances are A rated yet our bills keep going up... ie efficiency is being outstripped by cost increase) is to reduce usage or provide your own generation

well, that mercury is industrial is an industrial waste problem. I imagine it isn't a problem for leakage, is it? you'd think they would be more on the ball with that.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Naib wrote:

well, that mercury is industrial is an industrial waste problem. I imagine it isn't a problem for leakage, is it? you'd think they would be more on the ball with that.
it is an industrial waste problem. They are designed not to leak who who knows... Likewise the biggest issue is breakage, ie dropping the bulb.. its a small quantity but since mercury comes under RoHS its a convenient look the other way (while fucking with the electronics industry to ban lead in solder... guess what take a lead-free PCB and a leaded PCB and put each card into a different goldfish bowl. guess which bowl will have alive fish next week..) manageable as long as idiots don't use a vacuum to clean it up THEN it becomes an environmental dept problem and an expensive problem.

How many know abt mercury? its part of the education for longer than people are live in this country, but how many were any good or listen in chemistry...
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

If every incandescent was replaced, given w's data, I'd say 1/2 power consumption is a significant return.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use electric heat, then when it's on, those LED or CFL bulbs aren't saving anything.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly it would be a factor, but I don't believe you are correct. Seems like a lot depends on the efficiency of the heater.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

If every incandescent was replaced, given w's data, I'd say 1/2 power consumption is a significant return.

indeed. but is he correct about that? as naib pointed out, lights are a small portion of the household electric bill (10% from what I have read). Just saying he may want to check his numbers.

Bonekracker wrote:

If you use electric heat, then when it's on, those LED or CFL bulbs aren't saving anything.

yeah, I said that above. but heat loss in bulbs just heat your house.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
indeed. but is he correct about that? as naib pointed out, lights are a small portion of the household electric bill (10% from what I have read). Just saying he may want to check his numbers.
I wasn't referring to cost. With over 300m people in the country, there's probably at least one 60w bulb per person. 60w * 8hr/day * 300m versus 30w * 8 * 300m. Seems significant to me.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that for my living space, my current LED configuration requires half the power of a CFL configuration for the same luminous flux count.

Here are the numbers as I have gone over them, and verified them. These are the totals for every light in the house.

Incandescent: 1,500 watts
CFL: 240 watts

The main reason for the lower LED power requirement is that most of the fixtures in my place are directional, and many LED lamps are optimized for this. There's no sense in sending light backwards into the fixture.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would you charge to come to my house, come up with a reasonable lighting conversion plan, go out and get the stuff and change it over? (Travel expenses and material costs fully reimbursed and not part of this estimate.)
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be more efficient for you to take pictures of every type of light fixture in your house, along with the current wattage in it, and then I'll give you a parts list.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: