mkinitcpio broken (not adding modules)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: mkinitcpio broken (not adding modules) Reply with quote

I get this error when i run mkintcpio on two identical machines (hardware and config) i am trying to perform a fresh install on, when specifying the kernel version i want an initramfs for.
warning: no modules were added to the image

One machine is fully installed but i can no longer buld a initramfs without geting that error for any kernel except hardened-sources-3.8.2 on that machine.
The machine i am redoing a fresh install on for the x time seems to have mkinitcpio locked on 3.6.8-gentoo-sources which i did not even install.
The two machines where installed with the end of the world edition livecd.

I am working on that problem since a few weeks and it really drive me nuts,since i tried everything i could think of:

I thinkered with all the mkintcpio config files, rebuilded mkinitcpio and grep several times from chroot on several fresh installs from different stages and nothing works.
Tried every sugestion from a thread on the arch forum.

Any idea of how i can get something that works, or fix mkinitcpio?
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you using mkinitcpio at all? The kernel supports creating an initramfs automatically as part of its build. You only need modules in the initramfs if you need them before the filesystem is available. For features required early in the boot, it is simpler to build them into the kernel directly, especially since it is unlikely you will ever unload them later.
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried building in kernel /manual build a few months ago and did not suceed back then and tried mkinitcpio which happened to work but now it does'nt.

I have more experience now and i am ready to mess with that option ,maybe ill try better-initramfs if i have to, but i would prefer not to rely on a program each time i upgrade my kernels.

Also i use jfs on luks.

Ill lookup the docs this week in my spare time between the job,work-out,archery and friends. The actual work will occur this weekend.

Anyway thank you for remebering me there are alternatives to mkinitcpio, i just have to make them work for me now.
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried making my own int from scratch a few times again and got bored so i tried better-initramfs which does not ask for my luks password.

Looks like i need to reread the documentation and try again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: