udev not working correctly in UEFI mode, but in BIOS mode
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonidus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: udev not working correctly in UEFI mode, but in BIOS mode Reply with quote

This is my first attempt of getiing Gentoo on a UEFI enabled laptop (Lenovo X230). The initial installation was done in BIOS mode. Only afterwards, I enabled the UEFI mode.

The system setup:
* The partition table is GPT.
* There is a FAT32 formatted EFI System Partition (ESP).
* The kernel uses EFI stub and is installed as ESP\efi\boot\bootx64.efi.
* I use an initramfs that decrypts the root partition. The initramfs is compiled directly into the kernel.
* During boot, I create additional dmcrypt mappings for tmp, swap and home. This runs after the root file system is mounted rw, by tweaking the order of the init scripts in rc.conf and having a second fsck stage before mounting the other file systems. (I'm using this on several other machines as well.)

The problem:
* During the last step mentioned above, the laptop simply hangs.
* If I disable the additional dmcrypt mappings (removing dmcrypt from boot runlevel), The system boots, but udev does not seem to have loaded most of the modules, it should load (e.g. network driver (wired as well as wireless), audio, etc.).
* I assume, the two are related.

Diagnostics:
* I made a backup of my root file system, re-created everything in a normal MBR partition scheme, added a normal boot loader, and suddenly the system works flawlessly. All modules get loaded, and also the additional dmcrypt mappings are created as expected.

Any help with finding out what happens and why is greatly appreciated. What I find odd, is the lack of module loading and the fact that everything works when using Le[/list]gacy boot instead of UEFI boot.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have miss some kernel configuration options to boot properly in EFI mode. If you do not use any of the KMS framebuffers like Intel (I915), Nouveau or Radeon, you need the EFI framebuffer (CONFIG_FB_EFI). Without a usable framebuffer in EFI mode, you're stock to the graphic black screen.

You can make a search in the Linux kernel menuconfig with the / and use efi has the keyword to find where are all the EFI options you need to boot in this mode.

The problem can be elsewhere. I only know that some proprietary Xorg drivers are not (easily) usable in EFI mode.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: