how to emerge google-chrome stable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringchopper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: how to emerge google-chrome stable Reply with quote

I'm using 32-bit gentoo, with a 13/desktop profile. I can't get a stable version of chrome to emerge - every time I do "emerge -av google-chrome", it wants to install the beta (26.0.1410.40_beta189199:beta).

I've had my gentoo system up 4 or 5 days now, and haven't yet used a 'package.keywords" file, but I was told to do so in IRC, but it had no effect.

/etc/portage/package.keywords
Code:
~www-client/google-chrome-25 ~x86

other files in /etc/portage/ ...

package.license
Code:
www-client/google-chrome google-chrome
net-im/skype skype-4.0.0.7-copyright

package.use
Code:
x11-base/xorg-server udev
sys-libs/zlib minizip
dev-libs/libxml2 icu
media-video/mplayer vdpau
>=dev-libs/libxml2-2.9.0-r2 -icu
gnome-base/gnome-menus python
dev-lang/python sqlite
x11-base/xorg-server kdrive
app-editors/gedit python

package.accept_keywords
Code:
=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r2 ~x86
=net-im/skype-4.1.0.20 ~x86
=media-video/nvidia-settings-310.19 ~x86
~www-client/google-chrome-25 ~x86

output of emerge:
Code:
# emerge -av google-chrome

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ~] www-client/google-chrome-26.0.1410.40_beta189199:beta  USE="plugins" LINGUAS="-am -ar -bg -bn -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -es -es_LA -et -fa -fi -fil -fr -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -id -it -ja -kn -ko -lt -lv -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -sw -ta -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW" 39,304 kB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 39,304 kB

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.accept_keywords" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by google-chrome (argument)
=www-client/google-chrome-26.0.1410.40_beta189199 ~x86

The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ~x86 says you want the unstable package. What does your make.conf look like? Chances are you don't need to do anything in your package.accept_keywords. By the way, package.keywords is now redundant. You should use only package.accept_keywords. Just copy your entries over, but in your case it should be safe to just delete it since you don't want the entry.

Anyway, there isn't a stable release of Google chrome. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/www-client/google-chrome

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
stringchopper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
The ~x86 says you want the unstable package. What does your make.conf look like? Chances are you don't need to do anything in your package.accept_keywords. By the way, package.keywords is now redundant. You should use only package.accept_keywords. Just copy your entries over, but in your case it should be safe to just delete it since you don't want the entry.

Anyway, there isn't a stable release of Google chrome. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/www-client/google-chrome

Thanks for the reply. With other packages, I should just drop the ~ to avoid unstable packages, I assume - so just 'x86'?

About the "stable" version 25 - I just wanted it because I assumed it was stable, since it didn't have 'beta' or 'alpha' in the ebuild name.
stringchopper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's my make.conf:

Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=core2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gentoo/ http://gentoo.cs.uni.edu/"

SYNC="rsync://rsync25.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
LINGUAS="en en_US"
INSTALL_MASK="/usr/lib/systemd /usr/lib/systemd/*"

ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

## General USE flags
USE="qt4 -kde gnome -minimal lock branding"

## System
USE="unicode openrc -systemd ${USE}"

## Hardware
USE="acpi udev ${USE}"

## GPU
USE="mmx sse sse2 ssse3 nvidia ${USE}"

## DE - XFCE4
USE="gtk thunar startup-notification dbus session X ${USE}"

## Editor
USE="vim-syntax bash-completion ${USE}"

## Media
# Images
USE="djvu exif gif jpeg jpeg2k png pdf svg tiff ${USE}"

# Audio
USE="aac alsa flac lame mp3 ogg theora vorbis wavepack ${USE}"

# Video
USE="dvd dvb ffmpeg smpeg mpeg mp4 matroska quicktime rtsp win32codecs x264 xvid v4l ${USE}"

## Utility
USE="cups 7zip rar zip ${USE}"

The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the accept keywords bit should only be needed to deviate from you arch. For example, since you set ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" you don't need a package.license as portage will accept all licenses by default. What is going to mess you up is that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS isn't set.

You should add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" in your make.conf if you want to use the stable branch, ~x86 otherwise. You would then only keyword unstable packages that you want. I am surprised you didn't get errors flying everywhere form portage for that.

Quote:
About the "stable" version 25 - I just wanted it because I assumed it was stable, since it didn't have 'beta' or 'alpha' in the ebuild name.

It is a pre-release as you can see from the p in the name. However if you want to install that version you can. What you would do is emerge -av =www-client/google-chrome-25.0.1364.172_p187217 but be careful about specifying versions. It will never be updated automatically. A more general solution is to use package.mask to mask the higher versions, but again they will not automatically update past the version you mask.

Not that it really matters, but x86 is a rather odd arch to be using these days. Any reason you didn't go for a 64-bit install?

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome is packaged and distributed a little differently than other packages because when a Chrome update is issued, Google removes the old build from their server. Gentoo is not allowed to mirror those older builds (or any others, for that matter).

So all google-chrome will be in ~arch. What you want to do is use www-client/google-chrome:stable (note the :stable at the end.)

www-client/google-chrome will track beta by default. www-client/google-chrome:stable will track stable.

Perhaps not immediately intuitive since it is so unlike other packages, but I hope you will find this suggestion helpful.

Source / more reading: http://floppym.blogspot.com/2011/09/google-chrome-plan-b.html
stringchopper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

Not that it really matters, but x86 is a rather odd arch to be using these days. Any reason you didn't go for a 64-bit install?

I had read a bit about other distros and the loops to go through to have compatibility, so when I had some trouble getting Gentoo installed, I eventually opted to go with 32-bit to save myself some headache as I learn how to use Portage.

From what I've read, 64-bit isn't all that great in many cases, but has some advantages in niche areas (not that I can remember specifically at the moment what those are).

Funny you should ask that though... My machine is about 6 or 7 years old, and I have always run 32-bit OS's on it (linux and win xp, win 7). When I built the machine, I opted initially for 32-bit environment because I was dabbling in assembly code, and (again) wanted to keep that simple. Then, I just forgot that I had a 64-bit system. While having difficulty installing Gentoo, I did "cat /proc/cpuinfo" for one reason or another and saw the "lm" (long model) and just about freaked out at how I had forgotten about that!

When I get used to Portage and feel a little more competent, I'll investigate the ins-and-outs of 64-bit.

Regarding the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS... I had assumed that was managed by my profile, and if I wanted to deviate (according to section 5.a, here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1. In any case, I added it to my make.conf.

I think for now, I'll just take the beta package (v.26) - I'd rather do that than get miss out on auto-updates

Thanks for the help and tips.
adamf663
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In package.keywords, unmask it with:
www-client/google-chrome ~amd64 (substitute your architecture for amd64 if different)

In package.mask, mask out the alpha and and beta versions:
=www-client/google-chrome-*beta*
=www-client/google-chrome-*alpha*
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated above, you don't need to add the arch name or flag in keywords: it'll default to your arch, so either ~x86 or ~amd64 (or whatever) as appropriate, so it's cleaner to leave it out (and makes sharing or moving the file between machines easier.) ie:

www-client/google-chrome

or the SLOT:
www-client/google-chrome:stable
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: