Google Reader stops in July 2013?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Google Reader stops in July 2013? Reply with quote

I was really used to open Google Reader for RSS-Feeds from my gmail account, suddenly the link is gone. If you google for 'google reader', it shows the link and the Reader itself says in a popup "not available after 30/07/2013" if I read correctly.

What now?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed Google Reader on my mobile and would miss it. The funny thing is, I never liked Googler Reader on my older phone because it had an Android News app (not sure where it was from).

In my new mobile I don't have a proper news App, so I'm using Google Reader.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been is shock since the announcement. I use RSS more that any other "web service" save HTTP{S}. Still not sure who I'll goto, largely it'll depend on who Newsrob and Newsbeauter support. I may have to roll my own central repository and sync to it

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
I've been is shock since the announcement. I use RSS more that any other "web service" save HTTP{S}. Still not sure who I'll goto, largely it'll depend on who Newsrob and Newsbeauter support. I may have to roll my own central repository and sync to it

Yeah, I've been burned by this cloud-shit, and have decided I have to run my own service (I have my own server with fixed IP running 24/7). There is Tiny Tiny RSS, but I don't want to run mysql/postgresql+php just for RSS sync. I'll probably end up running a cron script with rsstool to fetch the xmls periodically. Something like this:
Code:
rsstool --rss localhost/slashdot.xml rss.slashdot.org/slashdot/slashdot > /var/www/localhost/htdocs/slashdot_temp.xml
mv /var/www/localhost/htdocs/slashdot_temp.xml /var/www/localhost/htdocs/slashdot.xml

then subscribe to my-server/slashdot.xml using a RSS client (quiterss isn't bad) and put its config directory in dropbox/whatever. A bit cumbersome, and I'll lose android-linux sync, but I won't subscribe to another RSS sync website :/
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla AddOns for the rescue :D

Brief looks very good. It uses the URLs in a special bookmarks folder, so if you synchonize your bookmarks, you also have the same feeds everywhere.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if people cared, google would not can the service. All the whining is from such a small minority it makes no business sense for google to even acknowledge those annoying noises.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
if people cared, google would not can the service. All the whining is from such a small minority it makes no business sense for google to even acknowledge those annoying noises.

If Google could make advertising money out of it they would continue. I am not sure if people caring would be enough, otherwise (for instance) Microsoft would not have stopped the MSN Live chat client and replaced it with Skype.
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

Nobody is whining, just stated the fact and looking for alternatives. I am quite happy with the Mozilla Addon now. :)
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Nobody is whining, just stated the fact and looking for alternatives. I am quite happy with the Mozilla Addon now. :)
Do the tags get imported?
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
disi wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Do the tags get imported?

Not the ones I added at work. It created a second bookmarks folder with the same name, I just copied the bookmarks in 'Subscribed Feeds' into the new 'Subscribed Feeds' folder and it started loading the feeds for them.
I need to check on Monday, if my computer at work creates yet another new folder :)
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:
Mozilla AddOns for the rescue :D

Brief looks very good. It uses the URLs in a special bookmarks folder, so if you synchonize your bookmarks, you also have the same feeds everywhere.

Does it require me to install Mozilla?

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Watcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emerged net-news/liferea and it seems very good. It's quite fast since it's a desktop (GTK) app.

Imported all my feeds from Google Reader without problems. Currently using about 70MB of RAM. Looks like a keeper.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I decided to install selfoss-2.4 on my lighttpd webserver. It rocks. Small, few dependencies (just php+sqlite, no mysql/postgres needed), fast and beautiful. IMO way better looking than ttrss and much simpler to set up.

No ebuild for it, but following this and adding this to the lighttpd configuration was enough. I just removed my google reader bookmark :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: