View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's smart. Developers only watch HD movies, so it makes sense to give them a 1920x1080 screen instead of 1920x1200. :facepalm:

BTW Necromancy apprentice? :lol:

EDIT: typo
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I don't get why people want these under performing devices anyway.

If you want a portable computer, you need something that is as powerful as the computer your portabling. End of story.

If I work as developer or performance engineer/tester, which I did, I always had an "underperforming" laptop. It has to be thin, lightweight, and have decent keyboard and good screen. Extra memory is nice. CPU and GPU is not really interesting.

If I need power, then I work with dual-cpu servers anyway, so why pack extra weight for no benefit in practice? Lightweight laptop is perfect, but it has to be usable, hence keyboard and good screen. Tablet does nothing for me.

Right now I am looking at Lenovo Yogi, Asus Zenbook or Dell XPS 13. It's right in the middle, goldielocks laptop.

And for people who are thinking "work=desktop" that's true if you are employee and sitting in the same office all the time, not true if you are consulting/mobile.
Rayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
That's smart. Developers only watch HD movies, so it makes sense to give them a 1920x1080 screen instead of 1920x1200. :facepalm:

BTW Necromancy apprentice? :lol:

EDIT: typo

You're right some developers would not care at all but some other would be very happy. 1080p is great for developer who use badly designed IDE like Eclipse (no offense) so the space wasted by badly designed UI isn't so much a problem.
Same thing for 8GB memory, some people will say 4GB is more than enough for Linux laptop, but some developers (and it's my case) use VM quite a lot. The 1080p and the 8GB were one of the most requested feature on ideastorm.
I woke up the subject because the developer edition was released recently, I though some Gentoo users could be interested as it's by far the best laptop I've ever used.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not really what I was criticizing.

#1 I'm one of those Eclipse using developers and I see a major difference between 1080p and 1920x1200. Those 120 extra vertical pixels make a difference.
#2 8GB ram is paramount for my work. Eclipse needs to eat up around 1GB with the project I'm continuously working on. And on some occasions I needed 2 local jboss instances next to it. Each of them eating up 2.5GB. So that's 6GB right there and you need the rest of the system and some FS cache.

I just dislike the tendency to use entertainment suited resolution in professional hardware.
Rayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
That's not really what I was criticizing.

#1 I'm one of those Eclipse using developers and I see a major difference between 1080p and 1920x1200. Those 120 extra vertical pixels make a difference.
#2 8GB ram is paramount for my work. Eclipse needs to eat up around 1GB with the project I'm continuously working on. And on some occasions I needed 2 local jboss instances next to it. Each of them eating up 2.5GB. So that's 6GB right there and you need the rest of the system and some FS cache.

I just dislike the tendency to use entertainment suited resolution in professional hardware.

OK I get your point, you're right. Perhaps we've to deal with it and organise our space a bit differently (use left and right sides for task bar, lunch bar, menus... and vertically split the code in our IDE).
BTW: sorry to hear you work on JBoss and Eclipse :p
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you shouldn't. I'm working mainly in an interesting area involving a really massive Drools based engine and some Groovy sort of plugins.

And for a project with each branch over 1GB Eclipse is the best to work with (not forced upon in any way, nor is the use of a certain OS or distro if you use Linux).
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I couldn't understand why anyone would want a laptop. Then I bought one, and I've never wanted an actual desktop since. My laptop is more powerful than my last desktop (though I have a newer "server" using desktop HW).

The only real limitation I've encountered was disk space and RAM. And neither were a problem for my original intended use of the laptop which did NOT include virtualization. Disk space is easily solved now, though I'm considering an SSD which wouldn't help much for space. The RAM issue is only for VirtualBox and running multiple VMs at the same time. Neither would be an issue for me using a newer laptop.

I agree. we don't have a desktop in the house on account of space (london places are small). But my 3 year old laptop is plenty powerful. I understand that here people may want state of the art power, but this drive to power only applies to 10% of the population. i had my computer illiterate parents talking about power and it makes no sense. they are going to surf the web and make docs.

if I need power, I just log into a desktop at work and run stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: