View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Kernel doesn't boot.[SOLVED] Reply with quote

First, let me apologize if my question seems a bit muddled. It is just that I am a bit confused.

Yesterday I started getting emerge error messages and it prompted me to re-install my Gentoo sources which I did and it didn't fix the problem. After some research on the forums I found that I had to do something with my kernel list. I checked
Code:
# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-3.6.11-gentoo
  [2]   linux-3.7.10-gentoo
and indeed saw it was selected to [1] so changed it to [2] and this resolved my emerge problem.

Then I wasn't seeing that kernel in my grub menu so I
Quote:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
and installed it to sda and that put it in my grub menu. However the kernel doesn't boot.

Before I continue with the boot problem I would like to first say that I am REALLY confused because at no point did I ever explicitly download or try to upgrade my kernel from 3.6.11 to 3.7.10. Does it come down automatically or something???

Anyway, so the first problem on the new kernel on boot was that it didn't recognize my Luks encrypted drive. I checked and the encryption wasn't compiled into the kernel so I did so and that fixed that. But when looking at the make screen on genkernel I noticed that all sorts of stuff I had previously compiled into my kernel wasn't there leading me to conclude that my config file wasn't being read or saved. I found this on the FAQ https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=35323. but I am not sure if this is my problem and if I should follow the instructions...once again because I didn't explicitly upgrade my kernel.

So the behavior now is that I select the new kernel at Grub2 menu, it starts to boot, prompts me for my Luks key, continues to successfully boot and then at the point I would expect it to put me in a GUI login screen it is just a blinking
Code:
_
and hangs. This happens if I boot the rescue kernel as well.

I can still boot successfully into 3.6.11.

Last edited by Budoka on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes gentoo has kernels come on down, though i ignore them and pull latest from kernel.org. fire it up using your working kernel....

i cp /usr/src/linux/.config /boot/config.kernel-3.x.x

(the majority of these are as ROOT)

cd /usr/src/
rm linux
ln -s linux-3.x.x linux #this automatically sets 'eselect kernel list' kernel to correct version
cd linux
make clean && make distclean && make mrproper
cp /boot/config.kernel-3.x.x .config #copy your old config 3.x.x to your new kernel your about to build
make menuconfig
make && make modules_install
cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-3.x.x #dont forget to set these x's to latest version
cp /usr/src/linux/.config /boot/config.kernel-3.x.x #make it so you can repeat your mistakes =D
grub #see http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start#Automating_Installs

eselect kernel list
eselect kernel set (#) as in use a no 1 2 or 3, depending upon what kernel your actually using.

rebuild video drivers if nvidia and your on your way.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
yes gentoo has kernels come on down, though i ignore them and pull latest from kernel.org. fire it up using your working kernel....

i cp /usr/src/linux/.config /boot/config.kernel-3.x.x

(the majority of these are as ROOT)

cd /usr/src/
rm linux
ln -s linux-3.x.x linux #this automatically sets 'eselect kernel list' kernel to correct version
cd linux
make clean && make distclean && make mrproper
cp /boot/config.kernel-3.x.x .config #copy your old config 3.x.x to your new kernel your about to build
make menuconfig
make && make modules_install
cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-3.x.x #dont forget to set these x's to latest version
cp /usr/src/linux/.config /boot/config.kernel-3.x.x #make it so you can repeat your mistakes =D
grub #see http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start#Automating_Installs

eselect kernel list
eselect kernel set (#) as in use a no 1 2 or 3, depending upon what kernel your actually using.

rebuild video drivers if nvidia and your on your way.

OK. Thanks for the info and the How To. I kind of understand what is is you are doing but is there a way I can do this with genkernel as well? I'm a kernel Noob and my box is Luks encrypted on LVM so need the initramfs that genkernel was creating for me.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel doesn't boot. Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
So the behavior now is that I select the new kernel at Grub2 menu, it starts to boot, prompts me for my Luks key, continues to successfully boot and then at the point I would expect it to put me in a GUI login screen it is just a blinking
Code:
_
and hangs. This happens if I boot the rescue kernel as well.

I can still boot successfully into 3.6.11.

Sounds like your xf86-video-whatever driver needs reinstalling. Ctrl+Alt+F1 should put you on a usable console from that screen.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

The latest kernel will get pulled during an emerge update. It's up to you if you want to switch to the newer one.

You lost previous settings because you didn't copy your .config file to the new source directory and run make oldconfig

What you can try now is chroot from a cd, copy your .config from 3.6.11 to 3.7.10, run make oldconfig then compile the kernel.

I build mine with make -j4 && make -j4 modules_install && make install

The make install will copy bzimage to your /boot so make sure it's mounted if you have a separate boot partition.

Also what makes things easier is to set a symlink to the kernek like so:
laptop boot # ls -l
total 7616
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2421209 Mar 11 11:48 System.map-3.7.10-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82558 Mar 11 11:48 config-3.7.10-gentoo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Mar 1 20:09 kernel -> vmlinuz-3.7.10-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5264128 Mar 11 11:48 vmlinuz-3.7.10-gentoo

and change the kernel grub line to /boot/kernel so all you need to do for newer kernel versions is to change the symlink.

UPDATE: Almost forgot - you have to eselect your kernel too!

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka,

The latest kernel will get pulled during an emerge update. It's up to you if you want to switch to the newer one.

You lost previous settings because you didn't copy your .config file to the new source directory and run make oldconfig

What you can try now is chroot from a cd, copy your .config from 3.6.11 to 3.7.10, run make oldconfig then compile the kernel.

I build mine with make -j4 && make -j4 modules_install && make install

The make install will copy bzimage to your /boot so make sure it's mounted if you have a separate boot partition.

Also what makes things easier is to set a symlink to the kernek like so:
laptop boot # ls -l
total 7616
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2421209 Mar 11 11:48 System.map-3.7.10-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82558 Mar 11 11:48 config-3.7.10-gentoo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Mar 1 20:09 kernel -> vmlinuz-3.7.10-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5264128 Mar 11 11:48 vmlinuz-3.7.10-gentoo

and change the kernel grub line to /boot/kernel so all you need to do for newer kernel versions is to change the symlink.

UPDATE: Almost forgot - you have to eselect your kernel too!

Thanks for the help.

Quote:

Is it the .config files in the /usr/src/ directory we are talking about?

Also, if I try this and botch it somehow will it prevent me from booting into 3.6.11 which at present I can still do?

Is it possible to just copy the old config over and then run genkernel again or use the genkernel option to use another config file and select the old one?

Once again sorry for the Noob question(s) but this is my first Gentoo system and still a little bit lost. I also like to try to understand what it is I am doing before I do it thus the occasional delay in updates/feedback.

Thanks.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
Can you tell me what directory these config files live in? Once again sorry for the Noob question but this is my first Gentoo system and still a little bit lost. I also like to try to understand what it is I am doing before I do it thus the occasional delay in updates/feedback.

No problem :D Look in /usr/src. At this time I have linux-3.9-rc1 and linux-3.9-rc2 on a testing machine. I'm going to update to 3.9-rc2.

Code:
cd /usr/src
cp linux-3.9-rc1/.config  linux-3.9-rc2
eselect kernel set 2
cd linux
make oldconfig

After make oldconfig you're ready to compile. In this case going from rc1 to rc2 there were no new features/drivers added so there were no prompts to respond to. Going from 3.8 to 3.9 you'll probably have to answer prompts if you want to include support for new features/drivers. It's usually safe to choose the default. You'll have to answer some prompts going to 3.7 from 3.6

I see you're using luks/lvm so for genkernel this is what I do. I copy .config to .config.live. I lost a config once with mrpoper so I make a habit of this. I then run a script that handles the rest, but the main compile line is:
Code:
genkernel  --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux/.config.live --mountboot --install --symlink all
emerge app-emulation/virtualbox-modules x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati

Add anything else necessary for luks/lvm.
If you have vb or any application with out-of-tree modules then they have to be rebuilt for the new kernel version. I usually include the video drivers just to be safe. The --symlink all option will setup an initramfs, kernel and System.map symlink for you. If you change grub.cfg to use the symlinks you won't have to edit it or generate a new menu.cfg :wink:

Just when you thought you were done, you're not really because the old kernels have to be removed.
emerge --depclean -a will clear all the portage installed files from /usr/src/, but the folder remains because there are .o and other files remaining so you have to remove these manually along with /lib/modules/3.9.0-rc1 in my case. And the old kernel and initramfs from /boot.
Now you're done :D

You might want to browse http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml

UPDATE: Almost forgot again - yes, you can boot to your old kernel if it's still there
If you lost your .config in the kernel directory check /etc/kernels you should have backups there via genkernel.

You might want to look through /etc/genkernel.conf for anything you'd like to tweak. You can set MAKEOPTS="-j4" for a faster compile :wink:

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:
Can you tell me what directory these config files live in? Once again sorry for the Noob question but this is my first Gentoo system and still a little bit lost. I also like to try to understand what it is I am doing before I do it thus the occasional delay in updates/feedback.

No problem :D Look in /usr/src. At this time I have linux-3.9-rc1 and linux-3.9-rc2 on a testing machine. I'm going to update to 3.9-rc2.

Code:
cd /usr/src
eselect kernel set 2
cd linux
make oldconfig

After make oldconfig you're ready to compile. In this case going from rc1 to rc2 there were no new features/drivers added so there were no prompts to respond to. Going from 3.8 to 3.9 you'll probably have to answer prompts if you want to include support for new features/drivers. It's usually safe to choose the default. You'll have to answer some prompts going to 3.7 from 3.6

I see you're using luks/lvm so for genkernel this is what I do. I copy .config to .config.live. I lost a config once with mrpoper so I make a habit of this. I then run a script that handles the rest, but the main compile line is:
Code:
genkernel  --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux/.config.live --mountboot --install --symlink all
emerge app-emulation/virtualbox-modules x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati

Add anything else necessary for luks/lvm.
If you have vb or any application with out-of-tree modules then they have to be rebuilt for the new kernel version. I usually include the video drivers just to be safe. The --symlink all option will setup an initramfs, kernel and System.map symlink for you. If you change grub.cfg to use the symlinks you won't have to edit it or generate a new menu.cfg :wink:

Just when you thought you were done, you're not really because the old kernels have to be removed.
emerge --depclean -a will clear all the portage installed files from /usr/src/, but the folder remains because there are .o and other files remaining so you have to remove these manually along with /lib/modules/3.9.0-rc1 in my case. And the old kernel and initramfs from /boot.
Now you're done :D

You might want to browse http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml

UPDATE: Almost forgot again, if you lost your .config in the kernel directory check /etc/kernels you should have backups there via genkernel.
You might want to look through /etc/genkernel.conf for anything you'd like to tweak. You can set MAKEOPTS="-j4" for a faster compile :wink:

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and report back.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just not working out for me and I have too many other things on my laundry list (Bluetooth, DVD, etc) to fix. Since I have a working kernel I will try to sort out the problem later but until then is there a way I can roll back to my previous kernel? I can boot it fine and use it, unlike the new kernel, but if I change the eselect back to it then I have the problem with the error when using genkernel. Thanks.

Just as a side question does this have to be done in chroot or can I do it in the working kernel? Maybe that is where I am running into problems.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
This is just not working out for me and I have too many other things on my laundry list (Bluetooth, DVD, etc) to fix. Since I have a working kernel I will try to sort out the problem later but until then is there a way I can roll back to my previous kernel? I can boot it fine and use it, unlike the new kernel, but if I change the eselect back to it then I have the problem with the error when using genkernel. Thanks.

Just as a side question does this have to be done in chroot or can I do it in the working kernel? Maybe that is where I am running into problems.

You can boot to the working kernel to work on on the newer one. Eselect will not affect the booting process, it only adjusts symlinks.

As I indicated in my previous post you should have .configs in /etc/kernels like so:
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K 2013-03-11 21:18:18 kernel-config-x86_64-3.9.0-rc2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K 2013-03-06 20:44:44 kernel-config-x86_64-3.9.0-rc1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K 2013-02-27 16:01:28 kernel-config-x86_64-3.8.0-rc7

If you already removed the /usr/src/linuxversion folder you can emerge it and copy the named .config file from /etc/kernels to .config in the /usr/src/linuxversion folder.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:

You can boot to the working kernel to work on on the newer one. Eselect will not affect the booting process, it only adjusts symlinks.

As I indicated in my previous post you should have .configs in /etc/kernels like so:
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K 2013-03-11 21:18:18 kernel-config-x86_64-3.9.0-rc2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K 2013-03-06 20:44:44 kernel-config-x86_64-3.9.0-rc1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K 2013-02-27 16:01:28 kernel-config-x86_64-3.8.0-rc7

If you already removed the /usr/src/linuxversion folder you can emerge it and copy the named .config file from /etc/kernels to .config in the /usr/src/linuxversion folder.

No dice. Still doesn't work. I am clearly not doing something correctly.

I executed the following, of course using my own directory and file names:

Code:
cd /usr/src
eselect kernel set 2
cd linux
make oldconfig

I was prompted to make a number of kernel selections and I selected all of the defaults because I really didn't know what 90% of the information was.

I then recompiled using genkernel. I use
Quote:
genkernel --lvm --luks --menuconfig all

I then rebooted into the new kernel and get the same behaviour. Boots=>Prompts me for my LUKS volume password=>continues to boot and brings me to the eternally blinking underscore.

I did as suggested and hit ctrl/alt/F1 and this brought me to my login prompt. I logged in as my user and try to
Code:
startx
and it fails. This sounded like another problem I had a while back on my initial install so I used http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel to make sure it was in the kernel, recompiled and...no dice. The same.

What do I do next?

Quote:
I understand that but how do I continue to recompile my working kernel with other stuff I may want to add? If I change the eselect/symlink it won't let me run genkernel. If I leave it selected to the new kernel isn't it compiling, the new kernel?
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

Lets take a look at what you have. Paste back this info:

Code:
ls -l /usr/src

ls -l /boot

eix -ICc x11-drivers

uname -a

Also cat your grub menu list. I forgot what the file name is :(

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka,

Lets take a look at what you have. Paste back this info:

Code:
ls -l /usr/src

ls -l /boot

eix -ICc x11-drivers

uname -a

Also cat your grub menu list. I forgot what the file name is :(

Code:
# ls -l /usr/src
total 8
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   19 Mar 17 15:36 linux -> linux-3.7.10-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Mar 11 10:02 linux-3.6.11-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Mar 18 11:17 linux-3.7.10-gentoo

Code:
# ls -l /boot
total 23059
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2329771 Mar 11 09:38 System.map-genkernel-x86_64-3.6.11-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2089493 Mar 18 11:07 System.map-genkernel-x86_64-3.7.10-gentoo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       1 Jan 27 13:56 boot -> .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root    1024 Mar 18 11:26 grub2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7013292 Mar 11 09:46 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.6.11-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4201712 Mar 18 11:17 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.7.10-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4182016 Mar 11 09:38 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.6.11-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3681632 Mar 18 11:07 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.7.10-gentoo
drwx------ 2 root root   12288 Jan 18 18:34 lost+found

Code:
# eix -ICc x11-drivers
[I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev (2.7.3@01/29/13): Generic Linux input driver
[I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard (1.6.2@01/29/13): Keyboard input driver
[I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse (1.8.1@01/29/13): X.Org driver for mouse input devices
[I] x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati (7.0.0@02/01/13): ATI video driver
[I] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel (2.20.13@01/29/13): X.Org driver for Intel cards
Found 5 matches.

Code:
# uname -a
Linux TL_Samsung 3.6.11-gentoo #1 SMP Mon Mar 11 09:38:07 JST 2013 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2675QM CPU @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I am not sure why but I don't seem to have a menu.lst. Is it because I am using grub2?

Code:
ls -la /boot/grub2/
total 21
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 1024 Mar 18 11:26 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1024 Mar 13 13:19 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Mar  5 12:02 fonts
-rw------- 1 root root 7587 Mar 18 11:26 grub.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1024 Mar 14 11:19 grubenv
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 7168 Mar 18 11:27 i386-pc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Mar  5 12:02 locale
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Mar  5 12:02 themes
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
I am not sure why but I don't seem to have a menu.lst. Is it because I am using grub2?

It would be grub.cfg for grub2.
Quote:
I understand that but how do I continue to recompile my working kernel with other stuff I may want to add? If I change the eselect/symlink it won't let me run genkernel. If I leave it selected to the new kernel isn't it compiling, the new kernel?

Having eselect set to linux-3.6.11 should not prevent you from running genkernel :? Something is not kosher there. What error are you getting :?:

And, yes - if eselect is set to 3.7.10 then that's the target for compiling.

You can continue to change the 3.6.11 kernel and compile it if you have eselect set to it. But, before migrating to 3.7.10 copy the 3.6.11 .config to 3.7.10 and make oldconfig again. I'm not sure if genkernel does this automatically for you or not so this is just to be safe.

I see you have two video drivers that might introduce a problem :!:
Code:
[I] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel (2.20.13@01/29/13): X.Org driver for Intel cards

Which one is actually being used :?:
Code:
lspci -k|awk '/VGA/,/Kernel/'

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:

It would be grub.cfg for grub2.
Quote:

Having eselect set to linux-3.6.11 should not prevent you from running genkernel :? Something is not kosher there. What error are you getting :?:

And, yes - if eselect is set to 3.7.10 then that's the target for compiling.

You can continue to change the 3.6.11 kernel and compile it if you have eselect set to it. But, before migrating to 3.7.10 copy the 3.6.11 .config to 3.7.10 and make oldconfig again. I'm not sure if genkernel does this automatically for you or not so this is just to be safe.

I see you have two video drivers that might introduce a problem :!:
Code:

Which one is actually being used :?:
Code:
lspci -k|awk '/VGA/,/Kernel/'

OK. Thanks for the help. This forum has been INVALUABLE.

Code:
# cat grub.cfg |wgetpaste
http://bpaste.net/show/84673/

If I set eselect to the previous kernel, genkernel throws the following error:

Quote:
# genkernel --lvm --luks --menuconfig all
* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.4.45
* Running with options: --lvm --luks --menuconfig all

* Using genkernel.conf from /etc/genkernel.conf
* Sourcing arch-specific config.sh from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/config.sh ..
* Sourcing arch-specific modules_load from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/modules_load ..

* ERROR: Kernel Makefile (/usr/src/linux/Makefile) missing. Maybe re-install the kernel sources.
* -- Grepping log... --
* Sourcing arch-specific config.sh from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/config.sh ..
* Sourcing arch-specific modules_load from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/modules_load ..
* ERROR: Kernel Makefile (/usr/src/linux/Makefile) missing. Maybe re-install the kernel sources.
* -- End log... --
* Please consult /var/log/genkernel.log for more information and any
* errors that were reported above.
* Report any genkernel bugs to bugs.gentoo.org and
* assign your bug to genkernel@gentoo.org. Please include
* as much information as you can in your bug report; attaching
* /var/log/genkernel.log so that your issue can be dealt with effectively.
* Please do *not* report compilation failures as genkernel bugs!

Code:
# lspci -k|awk '/VGA/,/Kernel/'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device c0b3
        Kernel driver in use: i915
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]
        Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device c0b3
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 [Rainbow Peak] (rev 34)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 AGN
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

It should be using the Intel driver. Apparently the ATI driver is not supported on muxless systems. I have no idea what that means but it was outlined in another thread a while back. I can find it if it would help.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

Yes, your ati card is sitting there doing nothing. For now unmerge the ati driver while a take a closer look at this stuff :wink:

Also what problem are you experiencing compiling the older kernel :?: <--- never mind - I totally missed it 8O

UPDATE: I think the error speaks for itself
Code:
ERROR: Kernel Makefile (/usr/src/linux/Makefile) missing. Maybe re-install the kernel sources.

Before emerging, save that .config file someplace then copy it back and try to compile :wink:

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka,

Yes, your ati card is sitting there doing nothing. For now unmerge the ati driver while a take a closer look at this stuff :wink:

Also what problem are you experiencing compiling the older kernel :?: <--- never mind - I totally missed it 8O

UPDATE: I think the error speaks for itself
Code:
ERROR: Kernel Makefile (/usr/src/linux/Makefile) missing. Maybe re-install the kernel sources.

Before emerging, save that .config file someplace then copy it back and try to compile :wink:

I unmerged ATI driver. Thanks.

Your post is a little confusing to me. We are talking about kernel 3.6.11 right? That is the old kernel that boots successfully. Or are you still trying to help with the new kernel?

The reason I ask is because...

1) That error does not occur in genkernel if I change the symlink using eselect to 3.7.10; so doesn't that mean there is a makefile there?

2) If you are referring to the kernel 3.6.11:
I copied the .config from /usr/src/linux-3.6.11 and then went to emerge the kernel sources but immediately noticed it is still trying to bring down sources for 3.7.10 even-though I am eselected to 3.6.11.

Code:
TL_Samsung linux # emerge -av gentoo-sources

* IMPORTANT: 9 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10:3.7.10  USE="-build -deblob -symlink" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] n

Quitting.

Code:
# eselect kernel list
  [1]   linux-3.6.11-gentoo *
  [2]   linux-3.7.10-gentoo

Thanks again for the help.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
Your post is a little confusing to me. We are talking about kernel 3.6.11 right? That is the old kernel that boots successfully. Or are you still trying to help with the new kernel?

1) That error does not occur in genkernel if I change the symlink using eselect to 3.7.10; so doesn't that mean there is a makefile there?

I copied the .config from /usr/src/linux-3.6.11 and then went to emerge the kernel sources but immediately noticed it is still trying to bring down sources for 3.7.10 even-though I am eselected to 3.6.11.

As far as the Makefile goes, it's missing in your linux-3.6.11 folder as indicated by the error message.

Setting your kernel compile target using eselect has nothing to do with what version of the linux kernel will be emerged. sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10 is the latest unmasked upstream so that's the one that will be emerged unless you specify 3.6.11.

At the moment there's two versions of 3.6.11
Code:
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1:3.6.11-r1
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r2:3.6.11-r2

I'm going to guess you need sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1 because r2 is in the testing branch and your grub and src folder doesn't specify which one.

So to emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1 you have to prefix it with "=":
Code:
emerge  =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1

That's it :wink:

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:

As far as the Makefile goes, it's missing in your linux-3.6.11 folder as indicated by the error message.

Setting your kernel compile target using eselect has nothing to do with what version of the linux kernel will be emerged. sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10 is the latest unmasked upstream so that's the one that will be emerged unless you specify 3.6.11.

At the moment there's two versions of 3.6.11
Code:

I'm going to guess you need sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1 because r2 is in the testing branch and your grub and src folder doesn't specify which one.

So to emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1 you have to prefix it with "=":
Code:

That's it :wink:

OK so I
Code:
and genkernel is still not happy. How do I deal with the make file problem and why is it happening "suddenly"?

Quote:
# genkernel --lvm --luks --menuconfig all
* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.4.45

* -- Grepping log... --
* -- End log... --
* Please consult /var/log/genkernel.log for more information and any
* errors that were reported above.
* Report any genkernel bugs to bugs.gentoo.org and
* assign your bug to genkernel@gentoo.org. Please include
* as much information as you can in your bug report; attaching
* /var/log/genkernel.log so that your issue can be dealt with effectively.
* Please do *not* report compilation failures as genkernel bugs!
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

Well that's certainly odd :?

Paste back
Code:
ls -l /usr/src/linux-3.6.11-gentoo/Makefile

ls -l /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-gentoo/Makefile

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka,

Well that's certainly odd :?

Paste back
Code:
ls -l /usr/src/linux-3.6.11-gentoo/Makefile

ls -l /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-gentoo/Makefile

Quote:
# ls -l /usr/src/linux-3.6.11-gentoo/Makefile
ls: cannot access /usr/src/linux-3.6.11-gentoo/Makefile: No such file or directory
# ls -l /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-gentoo/Makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 47903 Mar 17 11:48 /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-gentoo/Makefile
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka,

Are you sure you emerged it :?:

Paste back
Code:
ls {/usr/src/,/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-gentoo/,/usr/src/linux-3.6.11-gentoo/}

and
Code:
eselect kernel list

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka,

Are you sure you emerged it :?:

Paste back
Code:
ls {/usr/src/,/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-gentoo/,/usr/src/linux-3.6.11-gentoo/}

and
Code:
eselect kernel list

I did emerge is as you indicated earlier in the thread.

Code:
# ls {/usr/src/,/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-gentoo/,/usr/src/linux-3.6.11-gentoo/}
/usr/src/:
linux  linux-3.6.11-gentoo  linux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1  linux-3.7.10-gentoo

/usr/src/linux-3.6.11-gentoo/:
Module.symvers  System.map  arch  block  crypto  drivers  firmware  fs  include  init  ipc  kernel  lib  mm  modules.builtin  modules.order  net  scripts  security  sound  usr  virt  vmlinux  vmlinux.o

/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-gentoo/:
COPYING  Documentation  Kconfig      Makefile        README          System.map  block   drivers   fs       init  kernel  mm               modules.order  samples  security  tools  virt     vmlinux.o
CREDITS  Kbuild         MAINTAINERS  Module.symvers  REPORTING-BUGS  arch        crypto  firmware  include  ipc   lib     modules.builtin  net            scripts  sound     usr    vmlinux

Code:
# eselect kernel list
  [1]   linux-3.6.11-gentoo *
  [2]   linux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1
  [3]   linux-3.7.10-gentoo         

Ah. OK. I see what is going on. My initial kernel wasn't linux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1 but that is what I emerged based on this thread. I will switch the eselect to 2 and see if that fixes it but is that the proper, as in stable, kernel?
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
Ah. OK. I see what is going on. My initial kernel wasn't linux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1 but that is what I emerged based on this thread. I will switch the eselect to 2 and see if that fixes it but is that the proper, as in stable, kernel?

You can check with
Code:
bill@gentoo-gateway ~ $ equery l -p gentoo-sources
 * Searching for gentoo-sources ...
[-P-] [M ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0.17-r2:3.0.17-r2
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0.35:3.0.35
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0.69:3.0.69
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.2.40-r1:3.2.40-r1
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.4.34:3.4.34
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.4.36:3.4.36
[-P-] [M ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.7-r1:3.5.7-r1
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r2:3.6.11-r2
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10:3.7.10
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10-r1:3.7.10-r1
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.8.3-r1:3.8.3-r1

This is running the "~amd64" branch

Just copy the saved .config to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1 and make oldconfig after eselecting kernel to 2

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:

You can check with
Code:
bill@gentoo-gateway ~ $ equery l -p gentoo-sources
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0.69:3.0.69
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.2.40-r1:3.2.40-r1
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.4.36:3.4.36
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r2:3.6.11-r2
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10:3.7.10
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10-r1:3.7.10-r1
[-P-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.8.3-r1:3.8.3-r1

This is running the "~amd64" branch

Just copy the saved .config to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1 and make oldconfig after eselecting kernel to 2

Here is mine:

Code:
# equery l -p gentoo-sources
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0.69:3.0.69
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0.70:3.0.70
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.2.40-r1:3.2.40-r1
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.2.41:3.2.41
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.4.36:3.4.36
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.4.37:3.4.37
[IP-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.6.11-r1:3.6.11-r1
[IP-] [  ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10:3.7.10
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10-r1:3.7.10-r1
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.8.3-r1:3.8.3-r1
[-P-] [ ~] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.8.4:3.8.4

Based on this key that I found here, [url]https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3588455-highlight-.html#3588455[url],

Quote:
The contents of first bracket....

I = like you said, means package is installed.
P = Portage(Package is part of Portage Tree).
O = Overlay(Package is part of locally maintained Portage Tree).

The contents of the second bracket....

+ = stable
~ = testing
- = not available
M+ = stable / hard masked
M~ = testing / hard masked

Does that mean there is no "stable" kernel available???
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: