View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Thunderbird 17.0.3 segfaults on start Reply with quote

After upgrading to the latest version of Thunderbird, I'm unable to start it as my regular (non-root) user. It does still work when run as root. If I launch it from a shell, here's what it looks like:

Code:
$ thunderbird
enigmail.js: Registered components
mimeVerify.jsm: module initialized
Segmentation fault

I tried to rebuild Thunderbird with the debug flag set to get more information, but that build failed (some complaint about a Python-related environment variable).

This doesn't appear to be the same as this issue because neither (re)starting nscd nor uninstalling openldap (as suggested by the upstream bug) resolves the issue.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thunderbird-17.0.3-r1
providing a newer enigmail
in mozilla overlay
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for trying to help me, but I don't understand why that's relevant, or how to try it. What is "mozilla overlay", and why do you think enigmail is the problem?

I have noticed since originally posting that Thunderbird doesn't always segfault at the same point. Sometimes I can start it up and use it for an evening with no segfault, sometimes it happens after a few minutes, and sometimes it still happens right away like I described originally.

I have also noticed that Firefox (17.0.3) randomly crashes. This seems to happen more often on more "media-rich" websites, but I'm not sure what is objectively different about these sites. I have tried starting Firefox in "safe mode", and it still crashes, so I believe that rules out Flash as the cause.

Since Firefox and Thunderbird are closely related and may use many of the same libraries, I wonder if these issues might be related.
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: Thunderbird also segfaults when run as root. The sporadic nature of this issue had misled me initially. This issue is in no way related to my profile or any user-specific settings.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a cause for these newer versions,
because of such as your bugs:

mail-client/thunderbird-17.0.4
www-client/firefox-17.0.4

And try to disable all you
Menu: extras/addons/extensions

Further steps:
1. If you have special use flags you instead could try to just take the defaults.
2. You could try to enable some of the newer ~unstable libs.
3. If you then produce segfaults and you really are in need to overcome you have to compile with debug symbols enabled and provide a new bug with enough output ... far beyound I can help :(
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just update to 17.0.4 of both packages today, and the issue hasn't gone away (although Thunderbird is much worse than Firefox - I can't even get it to start).

At least with Thunderbird, the only way I've changed my USE flags from the default is to disable ldap. At least that's the only change I see when I go into make.conf, comment out every line that sets $USE, and do an emerge -pv. Here's my current set of use flags for Thunderbird:

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] mail-client/thunderbird-17.0.4  USE="alsa crypt dbus ipc jit libnotify lightning minimal startup-notification -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -gconf -ldap -mozdom (-selinux) -system-sqlite -wifi" LINGUAS="-ar -ast -be -bg -bn_BD -br -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -es_AR -es_ES -et -eu -fi -fr -fy_NL -ga_IE -gd -gl -he -hr -hu -hy_AM -id -is -it -ja -ko -lt -nb_NO -nl -nn_NO -pa_IN -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -sq -sr -sv_SE -ta_LK -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB

and for Firefox:

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] www-client/firefox-17.0.4  USE="alsa dbus jit libnotify minimal startup-notification -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -gstreamer (-pgo) (-selinux) -system-sqlite -wifi" LINGUAS="-af -ak -ar -as -ast -be -bg -bn_BD -bn_IN -br -bs -ca -cs -csb -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -en_ZA -eo -es_AR -es_CL -es_ES -es_MX -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy_NL -ga_IE -gd -gl -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -hy_AM -id -is -it -ja -kk -km -kn -ko -ku -lg -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -nb_NO -nl -nn_NO -nso -or -pa_IN -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv_SE -ta -ta_LK -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 0 kB

I can try upgrading to an ~unstable version of Thunderbird, but I don't hold much hope for that option. I already tried downgrading to the last working version, and it didn't fix the problem.

Edit: Nevermind, it doesn't look like there is an ~unstable version of Thunderbird available. At least when I add mail-client/thunderbird ~amd64 to my package.keywords and run emerge -av, it still plans to install 17.0.4.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Frankenbox, you can define ebuild specific USE flags, like I have done:
Code:
echo "mail-client/thunderbird alsa -crypt dbus ipc jit libnotify -lightning minimal system-sqlite -wifi -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -gconf -ldap -mozdom -startup-notification" >>/etc/portage/package.use
one line!

Searching for such a bloody bug as yours I would enable debug . I think "crypt" enables Enigmail pgp handling. "lightning" the integrated calendar app.

If you don't need these extras disable such things until you have a stable application!
And try disabling such things as "Smooth scrolling" and Hardware Acceleration in EDIT/Preferences/Advanced.

Try at the commandline:
Code:
 # thunderbird -help
Usage: thunderbird [ options ... ] [URL]
       where options include:

X11 options
  --display=DISPLAY  X display to use
  --sync             Make X calls synchronous
  --g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal

Thunderbird options
  -h or -help        Print this message.
  -v or -version     Print Thunderbird version.
  -P <profile>       Start with <profile>.
  -migration         Start with migration wizard.
  -ProfileManager    Start with ProfileManager.
  -no-remote         Do not accept or send remote commands; implies -new-instance.
  -new-instance      Open new instance, not a new window in running instance.
  -UILocale <locale> Start with <locale> resources as UI Locale.
  -safe-mode         Disables extensions and themes for this session.
  -jsconsole         Open the Error console.
  -addressbook       Open the address book at startup.
  -compose           Compose a mail or news message.
  -mail              Open the mail folder view.
  -mail <URL>        Open the message specified by this URL.
  -news              Open the news client.
  -setDefaultMail    Set this app as the default mail client.
  -options           Open the options dialog.
  -file              Open the specified email file.
"-jsconsole" could be your friend!

If nothing helps open a new bug in bugs.gentoo.org!
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know how I missed your post. After weeks of having no time to look into the issue, I finally rebuilt my system from scratch, and that fixed the issue. Of course, now I have other issues, but this thread isn't the place for them.
hika
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the same segfaults, but then immediately and only with thunderbird and so far not as root. I tried variating with use flags and also tried the bin package.

Nope!

Since you lost the error after a reinstall, I'm interested what you did different. Obvious some other package or maybe kernel setting is interfering. My installation is less than a month old and I got the same error on another installation, not much older. Untill now I don't use thunderbird. I was just going to test some things and maybe start using it.

Hika
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: