GRUB2 EFI Console video hangs, but system boots [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dopow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: GRUB2 EFI Console video hangs, but system boots [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first time working with grub2 and an EFI system, and I'm stumped.

The system boots fine up until the point that OpenRC would start (http://sinewam.com/public/gentoo-efi-openrc-boot.png), and then I lose video on the console. However, the serial console continues to work, and the system does boot, and I can ssh it.

I've tried booting grub in "console" mode (no framebuffer), but that doesn't seem to change anything. I'm pretty sure that I have all of the kernel modules needed, but can't be sure. I'm running hardened sources 3.8.2 (also tried 3.8.0). I know these are both masked, but 3.7.5-r1 was causing all sorts of problems.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Last edited by dopow on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds to me like a framebuffer issue. When you boot in EFI mode, VGA text modes don't work; you need a framebuffer console, and some systems can be finicky about how you set that up. You might need the framebuffer driver for your specific hardware or the generic EFI framebuffer driver. Note that some relevant drivers are not listed under the framebuffer category in the kernel configuration tool. Unfortunately, these can sometimes interact with your X drivers in undesirable ways, or their absence can cause problems, too. The best configuration can also vary depending on whether you're using the open source or proprietary X drivers for your video hardware (when both are available). I don't claim to be an expert on how to get all this to work; I've just fiddled with my kernel's video and framebuffer configurations until it's started working.

FWIW, my own main system includes:

Code:

CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set

This is for an AMD-based board with a built-in ATI Radeon HD3000. You'd obviously want different entries for other hardware. I get the following in my ring buffer ("dmesg" output):

Code:

[    2.550580] efifb: probing for efifb
[    2.550930] efifb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xffffc90010100000, u
sing 5120k, total 5120k
[    2.550935] efifb: mode is 1280x1024x32, linelength=5120, pages=1
[    2.550938] efifb: scrolling: redraw
[    2.550941] efifb: Truecolor: size=8:8:8:8, shift=24:16:8:0
[    2.563527] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
[    2.575305] fb0: EFI VGA frame buffer device
[   45.530181] fbcon: radeondrmfb (fb0) is primary device
[   45.535988] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 240x67
[   45.541877] fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device

I interpret this as meaning that the EFI framebuffer driver is used early in the boot process, but that the system later switches to the radeondrmfb driver, which is included in CONFIG_DRM_RADEON, which in turn is not in the framebuffer section of the kernel configuration.

The organization of these options in the kernel leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO.
dopow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srs5694, I owe you one! I was missing my hardware's framebuffer module, which was under some other menuconfig section.

I've been working on this for several days now, and I had read everywhere that the EFI framebuffer module would be used instead of the hardware module. Oops...

Thanks for your help!
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to me like a 6 sided cube, satanists must sponsor linux development.

try removing i915 from your kernel.
GrayGuide
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dopow wrote:
srs5694, I owe you one! I was missing my hardware's framebuffer module, which was under some other menuconfig section.

I've been working on this for several days now, and I had read everywhere that the EFI framebuffer module would be used instead of the hardware module. Oops...

Thanks for your help!

I have also suffered from this issue for a long time. Could I know whether it is fixed by modify the menuconfig file? If yes, Could you share a picture of this? I'm a new guy on the linux, not so familar with it. Another care, have any way sovled this issue in EFI code, which means don't modify the menuconfig file ? Pls give a help...
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrayGuide,

First of all: Welcome to Gentoo Forums ! :D

A lot has changed in the Linux kernel in the last years. What problem do you currently have? Or did you just want information about https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Framebuffer ?

If you have a current problem, it would be good to start a new thread instead of reviving this very old one. Please describe your problem precisely and also give us information about your system (e.g. "emerge --info").
GrayGuide
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear pietinger,
Ok, I'll open anther one. My question's phenomenon is exactly the same as this one. My sysem is burned from clonezilla-live-3.1.2-6-arm64.iso(http://free.nchc.org.tw/clonezilla-live/experimental/arm/3.1.2-6/)

Linux version 6.5.0-5-arm64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc-13 (Debian 13.2.0-7) 13.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.41) #1 SMP Debian 6.5.13-1 (2023-11-29)
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start a new thread, I would like to ask you if you have a Gentoo system ? Because we can't help you here with debian. In this case please use: https://forums.debian.net/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: