Resolving slot conflicts during emerge. [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Resolving slot conflicts during emerge. [SOLVED] Reply with quote

My attempt to emerge 'calibre' resulted in a 'slot conflict', but the 'emerge' man page merely suggests using 'package.mask' to resolve the issue. The reported conflicts are pasted in below. My system has udev-171, and I'm unsure why udev-197 is mentioned.

The statement 'ebuild scheduled for merge' suggests that the conflict lies in the current state of the Gentoo repo. Could someone please explain how to resolve this issue?

Quote:

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

virtual/udev:0

(virtual/udev-171::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
=virtual/udev-171 required by (sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r1::gentoo, installed)
(and 5 more with the same problem)

(virtual/udev-197-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>=virtual/udev-197-r1 required by (sys-fs/udev-197-r8::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
(and 2 more with the same problem)

sys-fs/udev:0

(sys-fs/udev-171-r9::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
~sys-fs/udev-171[gudev?,hwdb?,introspection?,keymap?,selinux?] required by (virtual/udev-171::gentoo, installed)

(sys-fs/udev-197-r8::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>=sys-fs/udev-197-r8[gudev?,hwdb?,introspection?,keymap?,kmod?,selinux?,static-libs?] required by (virtual/udev-197-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

Last edited by 52midnight on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge --sync
emerge --unmerge udev virtual/udev udev-init-scripts consolekit
emerge udev
emerging udev should emerge udev-197-r8 , virtual/udev-197-r1 , udev-init-scripts-23
emerge consolekit
/etc/init.d/udev restart
/etc/init.d/consolekit restart

This snippet must be done all at once, or you will have an unbootable system.

1. virtual/udev-197-r1 is only satisfied by installing sys-fs/udev-197-r8
2. consolekit is blocking a successful merge because it's dependency is satisfied by virtual/udev-171, which pulls in sys-fs/udev-171
3. Multiple Versions of Virtuals cannot coexist.
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper

Last edited by eyoung100 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that. Another Portage mystery partially revealed!
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did as you suggested, and took your warning seriously, so I did:

># emerge -f udev consolekit

before the unmerge and compilation phases. The system rebooted OK, but Xorg refused to start, complaining that it couldn't find 'libudev.so.0'. I tried:

># emerge libudev

.. but it complained that nothing satisfied the request, and none of the suggestions looked likely. Is there a fix for this?

BTW, the unmerge phase complained that it couldn't find 'udev-init-scripts' to unmerge. May or may not be relevant.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
revdep-rebuild

52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> revdep-rebuild

Well, it worked, and for that I'm truly grateful. But what I was hoping to be a canonical installation that I could post on my website as proof of its simplicity has turned into a ritual worthy of Crowley himself, with Hermes Trismegistus presiding over a deep, dank dungeon. I'm feeling the need to don cap and cloak, learn some secret finger-signs,and nail a gryphon skull over my front door with Illegitimi non carborundum scribed in virgin's blood beneath.
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52midnight,

Gentoo can seem intimidating like anything complex that is unfamiliar. The scope and effort of balancing all packages and their immediate and relative dependency trees is a monumental effort the Gentoo dev teams take on. The real work is done behind the scenes. Usually they do an exceptional job and ebuilds (what are acted upon when you wish to emerge a package) all play well with a properly updated system.

Please give a good solid read and/or re-read of the portage maintenance portion of the handbook, as the importance of following this cannot be stressed enough: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1 particularly code listing 3.10 onward.

I won't re-explain all of that, but, had you done the following to update portage's collection of ebuilds:
Code:
emerge --sync
Noting any important messages after (they're rare), such as news items.
Followed by:
Code:
emerge -avuND world
Which are abbreviated options equivalent to
Code:
emerge --ask --verbose --update --newuse --deep world
As you probably have already seen in the man page for emerge.

This has portage do a fairly thurough update process of your existing installed package base and you would not have ran into any of the problems, udev and all, that started your post. The Gentoo developers count on you doing your part on this. You may have ran into the slight difficulty of needing to emerge the gentoolkit package to get other useful and sometimes needed tools such as revdep-rebuild and equery to automatically determine and begin re-emerging what other dependent packages that link against the udev library would need rebuilt after udev was upgraded. Revdep-rebuild from the gentoolkit package was already mentioned in the documentation link mentioned above. No one is hiding anything from you.

Now you seemed to have synced the tree at some point without fully going through this process. You then wanted to install a large ereader package that had udisks as a dependency, most likely to support interfacing with your usb connection ereader device. Udisks depends on udev and so on. No skull and crossbones, no secret handshakes, just simple dependency layers upon layers of associated programs and libraries that build upon and are depended upon.

Code:
equery g app-text/calibre
E.g. will show you the initial immediate dependencies needed for that program you wanted. Each of those have a tree of subdependencies not shown as well. This is a large part of what portage very nicely juggles for you.

That typical update process is usually 95% of the time for years now the most you need to trouble yourself with other than specifics in elog messages printed per package. When you've followed a proper full world update after a refreshed version of the portage ebuild tree of packages by doing an emerge --sync, you generally will not run into additional difficulties emerging extra packages you want. How often you chose to update your copy of the portage database is entirely up to you (and I will not go into those reasons here), but when you do, make sure you're consistent about the rest of the update process.

If you don't follow best cited practices in the documentation given, then yes, things can and will possibly get ugly eventually and confusing fast. Otherwise it's generally a walk in the park and not a big deal.
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The scope and effort of balancing all packages and their immediate and relative dependency trees is a monumental effort the Gentoo dev teams take on.

Thanks for the tips. I'm amazed at the scope and complexity of the work that goes into FOSS as a whole, especially since it's voluntary. Gentoo is a remarkable intellectual achievement, and my comments weren't meant to denigrate it - quite the reverse.

I have some nontech friends who rely on my advice for survival in the Linux world. We used to get by well enough with PCLinuxOS, a very robust distro; but since the advent of KDE 4 it's no longer adequate. I've been wanting to suggest Gentoo as the best alternative having used it some years ago, since I've always thought it the best distro for the technically literate. My opinion stands, and now that I'm getting past the initial difficulties of a new installation (your explanation above about a 'world' upgrade being the thing I obviously missed) I think the remaining technical skills will be within their reach.

Thanks again for the time taken to reply.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navar wont take the plunge into:
Navar wrote:
How often you chose to update your copy of the portage database is entirely up to you (and I will not go into those reasons here), but when you do, make sure you're consistent about the rest of the update process.
so I'm going to be brave and take a stab at it :wink:

Gentoo as a distribution is very time sensitive. More on that below. Gentoo is also a great teaching tool, as you have seen from this experience. The idea for Gentoo has it's roots in another distribution:
Linux From Scratch
Linux From Scratch is also a Source Based Distribution. The main difference here is:
There is no package management in LFS :idea:
As such, it's up to you the user to decide your update path, so a user by the Name of Daniel Robbins, or Wiki decided, "You know, I'm going to take this idea one step further". He decided to add a package manager to LFS and emerge was born.

That little blurb brings me to the time sensitive piece. Our portage tree is updated daily by the individual developers who maintain the numerous packages. As such, some Gentoo users argue that Gentoo should be sync'ed and updated once daily. I used to agree with this, but have decided to use a gentler approach. It doesn't matter how often you update, as long as it is consistent and scheduled. This could be daily weekly monthly, every 6 months etc, as long as you stick to your schedule.

:twisted: Be warned, the longer you wait to update, the harder it gets, which means you will become very good at the Linux adage we all refer to as RTM - Read the Manual. That includes places like this forum. This also means you will become an expert of portage configs. This List is just a few:
  • package.keywords
  • package.use
  • package.mask
  • package.unmask
  • /etc/make.conf

We're Glad you joined us, and we don't want all these config files and blockers to intimidate you, because in the long run, the headache you have now, will be exchanged with the freedom that you created "YOUR SYSTEM, YOUR WAY."
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insightful addition. I'll use the info from both posts in the docn for the new installation procedure I'm preparing for my website. I referred to this in an earlier thread, and although I've not uploaded anything since then, I'm gradually building what I believe could be a useful resource for other newcomers.
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52midnight wrote:
Thanks for the tips. [...] my comments weren't meant to denigrate it - quite the reverse.

You're welcome, understood no worries and none taken. :) My intention was to un-intimidate even if it seemed possibly lawyer/doctor-speak in tone ("do! or else!" *queue music*).

BTW, this is a good read if you want history from the horse's mouth:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/making-the-distro-p2.xml
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navar wrote:
BTW, this is a good read if you want history from the horse's mouth:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/making-the-distro-p2.xml

SWEET!! I love gems like this.... Tis Bookmarked...
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a good read! I was much disappointed when OpenOffice lost their IP to a sleazy billionaire, even after all the work and warnings by Stallman and others. The GPL and CopyLeft are brilliant concepts. You can learn by your own mistakes; getting others to learn from them is a perennial problem.
thawn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: --backtrack=30 solved the issue for me Reply with quote

For me adding "--backtrack=30" to the emerge command solved the issue:

Code:
emerge -uDNav --backtrack=30 world
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: