Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 1973

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

Yes, it's the Blaze, doesn't change the fact it happened
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
Yes, it's the Blaze, doesn't change the fact it happened


I don't get it. Probably, the suspect was just playing around. You know kids these days and their guns.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 1973

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Bigun wrote:
Yes, it's the Blaze, doesn't change the fact it happened


I don't get it. Probably, the suspect was just playing around. You know kids these days and their guns.


It's widely known that carrying a gun to a public school isn't kosher and will promptly land you in jail, quickly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good deed goes unpunished.
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
juniper wrote:
Bigun wrote:
Yes, it's the Blaze, doesn't change the fact it happened


I don't get it. Probably, the suspect was just playing around. You know kids these days and their guns.


It's widely known that carrying a gun to a public school isn't kosher and will promptly land you in jail, quickly.


why? what about the second amendment? supreme court here i come.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 1973

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Bigun wrote:
juniper wrote:
Bigun wrote:
Yes, it's the Blaze, doesn't change the fact it happened


I don't get it. Probably, the suspect was just playing around. You know kids these days and their guns.


It's widely known that carrying a gun to a public school isn't kosher and will promptly land you in jail, quickly.


why? what about the second amendment? supreme court here i come.


It's federal law. Why don't states override it? *shrug*

Even if they do, they have state laws that back up ownership and carry laws that prevent minor from doing so (varies state to state of course). My state has a carry-minimum age of 21.

Now, if your speaking a right to carry for a 16 or 15 year old? That's an entirely different conversation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amaranatha
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 48
Location: Spain, Europe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a scary amount of people who think that martyrdom is preferable to (self-)defense.

I blame Jesus.
_________________
"Freedom incurs responsibility; that is why so many men fear it." - George Bernard Shaw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
juniper wrote:
Bigun wrote:
juniper wrote:
Bigun wrote:
Yes, it's the Blaze, doesn't change the fact it happened


I don't get it. Probably, the suspect was just playing around. You know kids these days and their guns.


It's widely known that carrying a gun to a public school isn't kosher and will promptly land you in jail, quickly.


why? what about the second amendment? supreme court here i come.


It's federal law. Why don't states override it? *shrug*

Even if they do, they have state laws that back up ownership and carry laws that prevent minor from doing so (varies state to state of course). My state has a carry-minimum age of 21.

Now, if your speaking a right to carry for a 16 or 15 year old? That's an entirely different conversation.


it's shocking that UNICEF isn't after you all :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16113
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appropriate authority within the school / district should be fired.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 1973

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
it's shocking that UNICEF isn't after you all :lol:


We're too scary :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best comment:
Quote:
I can see why they suspended them, now they don’t have a dead body to dance on……

Kid next time just video the shooting and post it to YouTube it will get millions of hit’s, and Obama will Thank You personally and take you to Disney World…….

_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pigeon768
l33t
l33t


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 669

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
juniper wrote:
why? what about the second amendment? supreme court here i come.
It's federal law. Why don't states override it? *shrug*
14th amendment. Federal law trumps state law.

This is how the Supreme Court is able to strike down state laws that abridge free speech, unreasonable search and seizure, segregation, etc.

It's why California's medical marijuana and Colorado's "legalization" of marijuana requires cooperation from the Federal government. The DEA and FBI can still nail people for weed, but Colorado is asking them nicely not to.
_________________
My political bias.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
it's shocking that UNICEF isn't after you all :lol:

They are. They're after me every year, for donations, and every year I give. Americans (not the Government) gave a half a billion dollars to UNICEF last year. The government gave, too (some hundred fifty million or such) "on behalf" of taxpayers. We alone cover about 20% of their total budget, not even counting UN funding.

How much did you give, Mr. Socialist benefactor of your fellow man? I see you're at least aware they exist.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
it's shocking that UNICEF isn't after you all :lol:

They are. They're after me every year, for donations, and every year I give. Americans (not the Government) gave a half a billion dollars to UNICEF last year. The government gave, too (some hundred fifty million or such) "on behalf" of taxpayers. We alone cover about 20% of their total budget, not even counting UN funding.

How much did you give, Mr. Socialist benefactor of your fellow man? I see you're at least aware they exist.


UNICEF is my wife's favourite charity, as well as her parents (I like it too. Helping kiddies is good). I fucking hate all the plastic crap passed around at Christmas, so Christmas time is littered with gifts to UNICEF in my family. Other favourites include charities which promote education for kids (especially girls). We give annually to UNICEF, and top it up whenever there is a crisis (eg. recent syrian crisis). The other main one we give to is a local charity which helps with the homeless. There are a couple of other ones as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to BK, you'd think that 'murica is the only place in the world which has private charity.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid kids... didn't they know that they're supposed to not do anything, get shot, and then wait for the government to help them? it's like they think they shouldn't be suspended for exhibiting individuality, bravery, and courage. it's clearly important to the nanny state that these traits are forcefully coerced out of children by suspending them from school.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
stupid kids... didn't they know that they're supposed to not do anything, get shot, and then wait for the government to help them? it's like they think they shouldn't be suspended for exhibiting individuality, bravery, and courage. it's clearly important to the nanny state that these traits are forcefully coerced out of children by suspending them from school.


Sadly, ++
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Listening to BK, you'd think that 'murica is the only place in the world which has private charity.

I can't speak authoritatively about Ireland (I imagine charity is fairly big there because of the Catholic influence), but when I checked, a year or two ago, Americans were giving about ten times as much as Europeans, on average, to charities (summing both private and tax-funded contributions, with private contributions amounting to about 85% of the total).
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16113
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: 16-Year old prevented school shooting, then suspended Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
It's why California's medical marijuana and Colorado's "legalization" of marijuana requires cooperation from the Federal government. The DEA and FBI can still nail people for weed, but Colorado is asking them nicely not to.
State's should implement policy that drones will take out any feds violating state constitutions.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't, because it's illegal for anybody but duly authorized (by the President) military forces to be armed with military weapons (with certain relatively low-grade exceptions for law enforcement), and the President has the authority at any time to take command of each state's military and supercede any orders given it by its state's Governor. Furthermore, while National Guard units have been issued weapons, the Federal Government maintains tight control of heavy effects ammunition, such as artillery and mortar shells, missiles, bombs, etc. Even the National Guard armories that hold their weapons are pretty well controlled by active-duty military personnel on assignment to "help train" the National Guard units.

We are no longer truly a federal republic of 50 united states, but a republic with 50 administrative districts, and increasingly weak representative legislature and judiciary, and a powerful, authoritarian populist demagogue at the helm who puts citizens to death at will, ignores the law, spends with or without authorization, and will probably run for a third term after he starts a war with China to justify it. And, it's all Bush's fault.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16113
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many police and/or sheriff departments have helicopters, so drones are a natural extension.

Surely the primary purpose of state militias is for overthrowing the federal government. Party like its 1861.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mardok45
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 64
Location: Right behind you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who is involved in a fight, be it self-defense or otherwise, is going to be suspended. The reason is to let any bad blood between the kids fighting and their friends cool off. At least that's how I understand it.

The school is following procedure. It's not right, but it's what they have to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
Anyone who is involved in a fight, be it self-defense or otherwise, is going to be suspended. The reason is to let any bad blood between the kids fighting and their friends cool off. At least that's how I understand it.

The school is following procedure. It's not right, but it's what they have to do.

procedure should never be followed when it arrives at an absurd result. if exceptions become too common, then the procedure needs to be changed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
They can't, because it's illegal for anybody but duly authorized (by the President) military forces to be armed with military weapons (with certain relatively low-grade exceptions for law enforcement), and the President has the authority at any time to take command of each state's military and supercede any orders given it by its state's Governor. Furthermore, while National Guard units have been issued weapons, the Federal Government maintains tight control of heavy effects ammunition, such as artillery and mortar shells, missiles, bombs, etc. Even the National Guard armories that hold their weapons are pretty well controlled by active-duty military personnel on assignment to "help train" the National Guard units.


what's the point of the second amendment then? I thought the point is that the population will be armed to prevent a tyrannical govt from doing bad shit. If the rules, however, is that the govt always gets bigger and better guns then the common folk, what's the point?

Quote:

We are no longer truly a federal republic of 50 united states, but a republic with 50 administrative districts, and increasingly weak representative legislature and judiciary, and a powerful, authoritarian populist demagogue at the helm who puts citizens to death at will, ignores the law, spends with or without authorization, and will probably run for a third term after he starts a war with China to justify it. And, it's all Bush's fault.


drone strikes are his fault. various things aren't. some things are bush's and somethings were the feds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People go on about Obama's drone strikes, but it wasn't even Obama who instituted the drone programme. Stop sucking up MSM hyperbole.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum