Earliest memory
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Earliest memory Reply with quote

Random question - how far back can you recall ? In what detail - sights, sounds etc ?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 2 years, some of the situation, some colors (probably wrong), and some sense of how it felt, no sounds
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My earliest memory was from before I turned 1. I remember this kitchen well, the colors and shapes and a tall brown haired woman.

I asked my parents about the memory years ago and I was describing our next door neighbor's house and the neighbor herself. We moved from there before I turned 1.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for memories that can be put in a certain timeframe: as far as I can remember, I always had at least one sister, being able to walk. So 2.5 years.
but there are other memories that might be before that. There is just no way to tell when it happened. Like listening to some music on my fathers kickass hifi system. Waving my father good bye. Watching some animal documentary.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

around 1 year, remember sitting on that high chair in the kitchen watching my mom washing dishes

I moved around (not sure anymore how exactly) and fell down on my head - everything turned black & I heard a loud noise (my head !) - next thing I did (what every baby does) was crying

that's probably the thing I can recall the furtest

how about you, John-Boy ?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time, something <4, but now I'm not certain if they are actual memories, or remembering from pictures or discussions.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People talk about memories at 1 or 2. I don't really remember stuff from before 3 or 4.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 3, in a pushchair being taken to the local shops by my paternal grandmother.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
People talk about memories at 1 or 2. I don't really remember stuff from before 3 or 4.

Same here. Random memories from around age 4.
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
I have a memory, well random images in my head of a room I was in when I was younger than 1. I also remember an instance when I was being potty trained where I was forced to meet the people my parents were selling the house to, and I couldn't hold it in any longer. I distinctly remember the look on the woman's face when that turd rolled onto the floor through my pant leg. Ah to be young again.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few memories from around 3 and 4 years of age, but I have one vivid memory from age 2: being charged by a brutal, noisy, monstrous goose (as tall as I, faster-moving, and probably heavier) that wanted the whole slide of bread in my hand rather than the little pieces I was throwing to it. :lol:

It was like a velociraptor with a truck horn, at the time.

I have an earlier one of enjoying riding around bundled in blankets in a wooden box mounted on the back of a sled being pulled over the snow by my mother or father. Edit: I just called my mother, and she said that was when I was six months old. I don't see how that's possible. I must have a manufactured memory, from a photograph or something.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
how about you, John-Boy ?

Spent a little while thinking about this, whilst sifting through some old photos (hence the post).

Probably about four or so - I followed my father up a pair of ladders (old fashioned wooden ones),
I remember my mother being called - when he realised that he wasn't alone. Don't know
how they got me down, he always used to remind me of that.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
when I was six months old. I don't see how that's possible. I must have a manufactured memory, from a photograph or something.

Wonder if there's a limit to what you can remember ? Or does everything, to various degrees,
get filed away somewhere.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one remembers everything and that forms part (or is completely) ones personality. So... you probably remember everything.
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably around 3... shitting my pants while eating breakfast and suddenly having the epiphany that I should have headed to the bathroom when I felt the load queuing up rather than just sitting there. I think i was in diapers, but who knows. Other than this one oddball memory, most of my earliest memories start early on in my 4th year.

Most super early memories (before 3 or 4) are implants learned later in life, through stories or pictures. There's plenty of studies on this.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 4 years old, kindergarten.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
juniper wrote:
I have a memory, well random images in my head of a room I was in when I was younger than 1. I also remember an instance when I was being potty trained where I was forced to meet the people my parents were selling the house to, and I couldn't hold it in any longer. I distinctly remember the look on the woman's face when that turd rolled onto the floor through my pant leg. Ah to be young again.

well, it's possible i have earlier memories. But, usually if I do, there exists a photo of it. So, likely, it isn't a memory, but just me remembering that photo.
big dave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was coming out of my mother's womb, and i was all like "YAY CAPITALISM!" and the healthcare workers were all happy. now i'm 3 kids deep and the healthcare workers are sad. now obama is taking my babies so he can redistribute them to other parents as part of his newest "baby-care law." WOULD NOT VOTE FOR AGAIN F----
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 1 year old, I was getting my picture taken. I even remember at a young age (4 or so) pointing to that picture and telling my parents I remember getting it taken.

They were a little shocked.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was transfered from the 'small' to the 'big kids group' at my first kindergarten. Which happened around your 4th birthday. I also remember the winter before that pretty clearly, because my little sister was pretty sick back then. I even remember her medication. I was sooo jealous. It tasted great and it was coloured in some toxic pink shade.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are rubbish. I remember sweeping across the steppes in a Mongol horde, and before that inventing farming by the Tigris, and before that leading my people out of Africa. But before even that, my oldest memory, is watching BK chipping away at stone slabs, engraving a diatribe which blamed Obama for the decline in mammoths.

Good times.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
Probably around 3... shitting my pants while eating breakfast and suddenly having the epiphany that I should have headed to the bathroom when I felt the load queuing up rather than just sitting there.

Winner!! :lol:

tylerwylie wrote:
I also remember an instance when I was being potty trained where I was forced to meet the people my parents were selling the house to, and I couldn't hold it in any longer. I distinctly remember the look on the woman's face when that turd rolled onto the floor through my pant leg.

Wait, no. New winner!! :lol:

I have a potty training memory too. My grandparents were visiting and my mother was busy, but I had to go, so I tried to be a big boy, and I went alone. I dropped what seemed like a monstrously large turd in the potty. I was so excited I picked it up and ran to show it. I encountered by grandfather first, saying proudly, "Lookit! Lookit what I did!" and holding it out to him. He was horrified, and he started yelling at me and smacking me with the newspaper he was carrying around, until my mother intervened.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
ratmonkey wrote:
Probably around 3... shitting my pants while eating breakfast and suddenly having the epiphany that I should have headed to the bathroom when I felt the load queuing up rather than just sitting there.

Winner!! :lol:

tylerwylie wrote:
I also remember an instance when I was being potty trained where I was forced to meet the people my parents were selling the house to, and I couldn't hold it in any longer. I distinctly remember the look on the woman's face when that turd rolled onto the floor through my pant leg.

Wait, no. New winner!! :lol:

I have a potty training memory too. My grandparents were visiting and my mother was busy, but I had to go, so I tried to be a big boy, and I went alone. I dropped what seemed like a monstrously large turd in the potty. I was so excited I picked it up and ran to show it. I encountered by grandfather first, saying proudly, "Lookit! Lookit what I did!" and holding it out to him. He was horrified, and he started yelling at me and smacking me with the newspaper he was carrying around, until my mother intervened.

well, that explains a lot. Really. Your obsession with brown things and a certain... love to be punished and to endure pain.

Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

I repressed those memories, but my parents tell similar story. I pooped, picked a bit and ran into living room beaming and proudly declared to my parents "LOOK! A POO!"
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
well, that explains a lot. Really. Your obsession with brown things and a certain... love to be punished and to endure pain.

:lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: