Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Nothing but a single data point
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlashBeast wrote:
shameless self adversation: you can use mine better-initramfs, you can get precompiled images from https://bitbucket.org/piotrkarbowski/better-initramfs/downloads just be sure to read readme.

I know about a few dozen people using it everyday, it does offer way more that you need in this very example but maybe its worth using instead of re-inventing the wheel.

This was a rather dickish thing to do, don't you think?

I mean, seriously. To make the first comment to a thread someone has obvioiusly put a lot of time into a pointer to your own thread, saying in effect "don't listen to this guy, use mine instead"? How lame.

Are you so insecure that somebody else sharing scripts that are similar to yours threatens you and must be slapped down as "reinventing the wheel", like your the only one who has ever set up an initramfs and everybody is following your example?

I bet you don't invited to a lot of parties. :P
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I mean, seriously. To make the first comment to a thread someone has obvioiusly put a lot of time into a pointer to your own thread, saying in effect "don't listen to this guy, use mine instead"? How lame.

BoneKracker ... I don't think that was the intention at all, and its somewhat ungenerous of you to interpret it that way, and put "words in their mouth". Its quite common to point out other implementations, or ones own work, and its far from a "slap down" to suggest "[...] give a try and decide."

BoneKracker wrote:
Are you so insecure that somebody else sharing scripts that are similar to yours threatens you and must be slapped down as "reinventing the wheel", like your the only one who has ever set up an initramfs and everybody is following your example?

The project is called "better-initramfs" and I think some have read this as some kind of claim, anyhow, I don't think SlashBeast had any intention of "slapping" anyone, or dismissing LoTeK's work. As for "reinventing the wheel", that was prefaced by "[...] it does offer way more that you need in this very example but maybe its worth using instead [...]", and so far less aggressive than you wish to present it.

best ... khay
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're right. Still seems like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant to me. Poor LoTeK, the enthusiastic new Gentoo user wants to make a contribution, and all we have to say to him is that his sauce is weak. :?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Maybe you're right. Still seems like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant to me. Poor LoTeK, the enthusiastic new Gentoo user wants to make a contribution, and all we have to say to him is that his sauce is weak.

BoneKracker ... well, I don't think your reading it accurately, in your report you state "[...] cross-posting in LoTeK's "Tips & Tricks" thread (an attempt to be helpful to others) with a link to his own similar thread", which isn't the case, SlashBeast posted a link to the bitbucket hosted code, thats not "cross posting", its providing a link. You also accuse SlashBeast of "being a total dick", which honestly I don't see, I think your response is entirely out of sync with the facts.

best ... khay
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got one fact wrong. He didn't, technically, cross-post. It was still a rather obvious act of... phalloid obstructionism as it were.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to thank you that my little contribution is appreciated (especially to BoneKracker :) ). But I've understood SlashBeasts comment (of course you can never look into someone's head, maybe not even in your own) in the sense "oh, someone's posted a tip which involves an initramfs and I've written one so I'll share it with the others or just inform them about it".
This is the way I think science, Linux and everything else human do should work: there is no "ME ME MY EGO", my nobelprize, my work, etc but a "OUR work", our goal etc without fame (fame in the negative sense). (@BoneKracker of course not in a "borg-collective-sovjet-hive-mind-style"!! :) ).

Maybe our ego (in the bad sense) will never die but we can try to become better and I think the GNU/Linux-OSS-project is maybe the first realization of this spirit. It seems so far were only a few philosophers that thought about the world and tried to live better, but now there is a concrete realization of those thoughts (somewhere I've read that the MIT-hacker culture has many similarities to the old pythagoreens). Although I don't like Marx there is a truth in "until now many philosophers just interpreted the world differently, but nobody tried to change it".

So maybe my post tastes a bit like "idealistic-fool-stuff / overestimating Linux" but whatever... :)
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
SlashBeast
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker uh-huh, either you don't really understand what I posted or you didn't even bothered to see what I posted there befere you written your hate-post.

Anyway, what I pasted was a link to a initramfs solution, that possibly could fit in LoTeK's tutorial, it does not contain any tutorial there, so its not alternative to this very tutorial. Opensource is pretty much about doing and sharing, one can create an application that another one can use it, instead of writting own application. Work smart not hard, if someone did something that you can use and fit your needs and specification then usualy thats good idea to use it.

BoneKracker wrote:

What was your first clue, the fact that I BSD license mine code?

Also, this is the first time in my life to got insulted when 'I tried' to do a contribution in any way to open source work.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hate post"? :lol: :roll:

Don't try to turn this on me; you're the one whose behavior wasn't nice. You even admitted it yourself (right before you told everybody he was re-inventing the wheel):
SlashBeast wrote:
shameless self adversation: you can use mine better-initramfs, you can get precompiled images from https://bitbucket.org/piotrkarbowski/better-initramfs/downloads just be sure to read readme.

I know about a few dozen people using it everyday, it does offer way more that you need in this very example but maybe its worth using instead of re-inventing the wheel.

It speaks for itself. There's a difference between contributing and crapping on other people's first attempts to contribute, with the obvious intent of promoting your own work.

Now that's enough diversion from the point of this thread. Keep up the good work LoTeK, and don't be discouraged from sharing your efforts.
SlashBeast
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker you do realize you are the only person who think that I wasn't nice?

Furthermore you stated that I am a dick or act like one, which is kind of fun how mad you are because you (and only you) misunderstand my intention.

BoneKracker wrote:
saying in effect "don't listen to this guy, use mine instead"? How lame.

I never said anything like that and you are, again, the only one who think I had that on mind.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, fine. It's just my opinion. Just one person. So take it as that: one person's opinion. Nothing but a single data point.

You're not going to change that opinion, though, so stop wasting your time and interfering further with LoTeK's thread by trying to doing so. Just keep it in mind in the future (that one person had that opinion).
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off set up hardened gentoo with dm-crypt,LVM, /boot on USB-stick
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: