wget can't resolve nameserver on emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinman257
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: wget can't resolve nameserver on emerge Reply with quote

I'm installing gentoo (ppc32) onto a mac mini. After chroot, webrsync and emerge --sync, I try to emerge --oneshot portage, as suggested in the handbook because of the new profile from 10->13. However, I get, for all mirrors,

Code:
Resolving <<host>>... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address <<host>>

My networking and dns is setup correctly, I believe, as indicated by this test: in the same environment, I can
Code:
wget google.com
and it downloads the index.html just fine.

Please advise, and let me know if this question is better suited in the installation subforum.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id point at another mirror and try again. i have 3 mirrors selected on this machine, if one fails to resolve it will move on to the next. if all 3 fail, 99.9% of the time google will fail also.
tinman257
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
id point at another mirror and try again. i have 3 mirrors selected on this machine, if one fails to resolve it will move on to the next. if all 3 fail, 99.9% of the time google will fail also.

I've got three, as well, all of which I checked the status of on mirrorstats.gentoo.org, and I can ping from within the chrooted environment just fine.

FWIW started the install process over, using a different source for the stage3 tarball, with the same outcome.
tinman257
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My google-fu is stronger today, apparently, as I found this thread detailing my problem -- https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-834722-view-next.html?sid=03549ab10cef3a4e264e398243aad766

From that thread:
Quote:
When you ran the wget command by hand to test it, did you remember to run it as the portage user? You have FEATURES=userfetch, so the wget is run as a limited user. If your /etc/resolv.conf in the chroot has permissions that prevent the portage user from reading it, then you could encounter this problem.

Could somebody help me understand how to implement this change, as this is what fixed it for the OP of that thread.
(a) - can I set portage to not be a limited user?
(b) - if not, how can I change permissions on resolv.conf so the portage user can read it?

EDIT - I've looked into this some more, and I do not have userfetch defined in my make.conf
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try FEATURES="-userfetch" I have this problem on arm architectures from inside a chroot where the real root is android. You may be running into a similar problem.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the chroot, what is the output of ls -l /etc/resolv.conf?
tinman257
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duby2291 wrote:
Try FEATURES="-userfetch" I have this problem on arm architectures from inside a chroot where the real root is android. You may be running into a similar problem.

That did the trick. Yeah, I realized even though I hadn't specified userfetch, when I emerge --info it was there.

Hu wrote:
In the chroot, what is the output of ls -l /etc/resolv.conf?

-rw------- 1 root root 64 feb 22 03:54 /etc/resolv.conf

Even though the problem is fixed, if you have any more insight, Hu, I'd be very appreciative!
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those permissions are wrong. Only root will be able to read the file. The standard permissions for /etc/resolv.conf are 644.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: