Gentoo sources 3.7.9 and nvidia-drivers 173.14.36
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Gentoo sources 3.7.9 and nvidia-drivers 173.14.36 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just compiled a new kernel and was trying to emerge the nvidia drivers. I've not had this kind of problem before so far as I can tell, and the error message is a bit odd.

Code:

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36
 * NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.36-pkg0.run SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                                                                             [ ok ]
 * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found kernel object directory:
 *     /lib/modules/3.7.9-gentoo/build
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     3.7.9-gentoo
 * Checking for MTRR support ...                                                                                                                                                                        [ ok ]
 * Gentoo supports kernel's which are supported by NVIDIA
 * which are limited to the following kernels:
 * <sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7
 * <sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.7
 * You are on your own
>>> Unpacking source...
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/work/’: File exists
>>> Unpacking NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.36-pkg0.run to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/work ...
 * Applying NVIDIA_glx-defines.patch ...                                                                                                                                                                [ ok ]
 * Applying NVIDIA_glx-glheader.patch ...                                                                                                                                                               [ ok ]
 * Converting /usr/src/nv/Makefile.kbuild to use M= instead of SUBDIRS= ...                                                                                                                             [ ok ]
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/work ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/work ...
 * Preparing nvidia module
make -j3 HOSTCC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=i686-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= ARCH=i386 IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux SYSOUT=/lib/modules/3.7.9-gentoo/build CC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc clean module
If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1
emake failed
 * ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36 failed (compile phase):
 *   Unable to emake HOSTCC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=i686-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= ARCH=i386 IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux          SYSOUT=/lib/modules/3.7.9-gentoo/build CC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc clean module
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   93:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 3873:  Called linux-mod_src_compile
 *   environment, line 2749:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               eval "emake HOSTCC=\"$(tc-getBUILD_CC)\"                                               CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}-                                                 LDFLAGS=\"$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)\" ${BUILD_FIXES}                                          ${BUILD_PARAMS}                                                 ${BUILD_TARGETS} " || die "Unable to emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}";
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/work/usr/src/nv'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.36/work/'

I have the right symlink set up and tried to delete and recreate it to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Alex
cybermc75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome among us.

Read this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-951692-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html

Or take a look here https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/528786/linux/linux-3-8-incompatibility

Maybe you'll find something.

I'll wait next NVIDIA release.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybermc75 wrote:
Welcome among us.

Read this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-951692-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html

Or take a look here https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/528786/linux/linux-3-8-incompatibility

Maybe you'll find something.

I'll wait next NVIDIA release.

It sounds like more trouble than its worth to me. I'll just stick with 3.8.13 which was working fine.

Best,

Alex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: