View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: nvidia-drivers-313.18 failed with kernel 3.8.0 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have similar problem like not long time ago with kernel 3.7.6.

[SOLVED] nvidia-drivers-313.18 failed with kernel 3.7.6
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-950612.html

This time, this sollution did not help:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-950330.html

After:
Code:
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h

I have:
Code:
>>> Source configured.                                                                                                                                       
>>> Compiling source in /mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/work ...                                                                     
 * Preparing nvidia module
make -j2 HOSTCC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- 'LDFLAGS=-m elf_x86_64' ARCH=x86_64 IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux SYSOUT=/lib/modules/3.8.0-gentoo/build CC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc clean module
If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1
 * ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18 failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/work/kernel'
 * S: '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/work/'

>>> Failed to emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18, Log file:

>>>  '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18:

* ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18 failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/work/kernel'
 * S: '/mnt/video/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/work/'
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a patch and updated the ebuild to include it.

Basically just needed :

Code:

--- a/kernel/conftest.sh
    +++ b/kernel/conftest.sh
    @@ -160,6 +160,7 @@ build_cflags() {

if [ "$ARCH" = "i386" -o "$ARCH" = "x86_64" ]; then
             CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$SOURCES/arch/x86/include"
    +        CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$SOURCES/arch/x86/include/uapi"
             CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$OUTPUT/arch/x86/include/generated"
             CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$OUTPUT/arch/x86/include/generated/uapi"
         elif [ "$ARCH" = "arm" ]; then
    --

ebuild : http://pastebin.com/6vn2D6qB
patch : http://pastebin.com/f4RJagZp
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the patch. It works.
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

platojones wrote:
Thanks for the patch. It works.

NP, also added to: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=458382
HTS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patch fixed it for me as well!
FatherBusa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should certainly know this, since I've been using Gentoo for many years, but how do you do this? How do you apply this patch?
giorgos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatherBusa wrote:
I should certainly know this, since I've been using Gentoo for many years, but how do you do this? How do you apply this patch?

Just download and move the patch to /etc/portage/patches/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers.
FatherBusa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just download and move the patch to /etc/portage/patches/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers.

Outstanding. Had no idea portage was so clever. ;)

Thanks!
cdstealer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kudos the.root :)
cybermc75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my noob question:

My system works perfectly with gentoo kernel 3.5.9 and nvidia-drivers-304.64.
Updating, kernel 3.7.9 came in.
The new kernel works, but X complain about nvidia module.
module-rebuild tried to rebuild nvidia-drivers-304.64, but it was impossible for me to make it work, because the driver "cannot detrmine the kernel version". I tried the patches for a while, then I realize these are for newer version of nvidia driver.
Do you think it's better for me to unmask newer version of nvidia or wait it to be stable?
Or is there any magical way to use the old module with the new kernel, or some miracle-patch to apply to 304.64 to build it?

Consider that my old PC (Celeron 2.8GHz) has:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS] (rev a1)
Thanks.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a Geforce 7, so you can't use drivers newer than 304.64. Your only options are either patch the driver, or use an older kernel. Well, there's a third option - Nvidia releases a new version of the 304.xx branch. I have a feeling Nvidia will be releasing new versions for all their branches soon, but since Nvidia never provides any plans, there's no way to tell when exactly "soon" is :)
cybermc75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gusar.

There's no reason for me to run ahead new releases. But I learned to avoid my system to be too old.
Just to know, where I can find information about compatibility of nvidia-drivers version and kernels and compatible hardware?
Maybe the.root can give me some tip to make a good patch. The problem is about new /include/uapi folder in the kernel.
Adapting the pacth you gave for 313.18 leads to a missing asm-generic/types.h in include/asm/types.h or something like that.
However, I'm in a good situation to experiment at the moment.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybermc75 wrote:
Just to know, where I can find information about compatibility of nvidia-drivers version and kernels and compatible hardware?

Hardware compatibility is very simple: 173.xx for Geforce FX 5, 304.xx for Geforce 6/7, newer versions for Geforce 8 and up.

Kernel compatibility is not so simple. There's no fixed point of info, things change dynamically. When problems arise, people post about them on distro forums, and at the nvidia forum: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/board/98/linux/. So when you hit problems, you search the forums. Sometimes you'll find patches, sometimes you'll be told to stay with an older kernel for the time being. That's pretty much that.
New driver releases are announced here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/board/99/unix-graphics-announcements-and-news/
cybermc75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, gusar.

I found https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/525935/linux/please-update-310-xx-drivers-for-linux-3-7-3-8-compatibility/2/ and similar.
Let's wait for a while for this new release, or a NVIDIA supported patch.[/url]

Ciao
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed Arch has patches for 304.xx and kernel 3.7: https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/nvidia-304xx
Also, kernel 3.7 and 3.8 patches for 313.18: https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/nvidia
Olis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
Hardware compatibility is very simple: 173.xx for Geforce FX 5, 304.xx for Geforce 6/7, newer versions for Geforce 8 and up.

I was also hit by the "Unable to determine the target kernel version" problem when I tried to update the kernel from 3.6.11 to the now stable 3.7.9.

My system is using an NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 (HP OEM, 14 month old), how do I know whether this a Geforce 5, 6, 7, 8 or up? I'm currently using nvidia-drivers-304.64, higher versions are marked as unstable here that's why I'm not using them.

I also found bug 447566 but it seems at the moment there's only an official patch for the latest unstable version of the driver (313.18). Just wondering that 3.7.9 was moved to the stable tree knowing that probably a lot of people using NVIDIA graphic cards will run into problems. Or is my 14 month old HP system already too old for current kernels?

For now I've switched back to kernel 3.6.11 and masked kernels 3.7.0 and above.

Regards,

Oliver
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olis wrote:
how do I know whether this a Geforce 5, 6, 7, 8 or up?

Wikipedia knows everything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_series#Generations. Well, probably not everything :), but that list is very nice.

Olis wrote:
I also found bug 447566 but it seems at the moment there's only an official patch for the latest unstable version of the driver (313.18 ).

Look more closely, there's patches for 304.64 too in that bug. Or you use the links to the Arch patches I gave above. But since your 530 is "up", you can use 313.18
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olis wrote:
Just wondering that 3.7.9 was moved to the stable tree knowing that probably a lot of people using NVIDIA graphic cards will run into problems.

There are indeed tons of reasons for questioning the stabilization of the 3.7.9, regressions with USB, deblobbing broken... but... the NVIDIA problem is not a valid one.
Kernel is first. It's stabilization must not be submitted to the availability of whatever driver, even less with the availability of a proprietary driver. You get in kernel the code needed for driving your Nvidia and this one builds and works with no known regression compared to last stable kernel release !
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
Olis wrote:
how do I know whether this a Geforce 5, 6, 7, 8 or up?

Wikipedia knows everything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_series#Generations. Well, probably not everything :), but that list is very nice.

Yes, I checked Wikipedia few minutes after my post and found that the 530 belongs to "up". :)

Gusar wrote:
Look more closely, there's patches for 304.64 too in that bug. Or you use the links to the Arch patches I gave above. But since your 530 is "up", you can use 313.18

I saw that patch, but while 313.18 already received an "offical" patch (in portage) 304.64 is still broken when using the stable kernel. I think I will try nvidia-driver-313.18 next, but this has to wait until sunday.

Oliver
Olis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
There are indeed tons of reasons for questioning the stabilization of the 3.7.9, regressions with USB, deblobbing broken... but... the NVIDIA problem is not a valid one.
Kernel is first. It's stabilization must not be submitted to the availability of whatever driver, even less with the availability of a proprietary driver. You get in kernel the code needed for driving your Nvidia and this one builds and works with no known regression compared to last stable kernel release !

I don't question the stabilization of kernel 3.7.9, but it would be nice to get a warning that this kernel will not work with the stable Nvidia driver. This could save a lot of people time and frustration.

Ok, I found a simple fix, just add ">=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.0" to /etc/portage/package.mask and everything is fine again.
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:

And what's the reason of not applying a patch for nvidia-drivers so it can compile with the lastest stable version of the kernel, a patch that has been around in bugzilla december?
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juantxorena wrote:
aCOSwt wrote:

And what's the reason of not applying a patch for nvidia-drivers so it can compile with the lastest stable version of the kernel, a patch that has been around in bugzilla december?

This is another good question!
I believe you'll find its answer in Doug Goldstein's comment #2 ("We support what NVIDIA supports")
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olis wrote:
it would be nice to get a warning that this kernel will not work with the stable Nvidia driver. This could save a lot of people time and frustration.

I think you are correct!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:

This is another good question!
I believe you'll find its answer in Doug Goldstein's comment #2 ("We support what NVIDIA supports")

Well, it's a stupid policy, if you ask me. It may be OK in most of the cases, but when a conflict appears like in this case, a conflict that in the better case is a nuisance, and in the worst a non-working system for a inexperienced user, sticking to that without any sign of adaptability is stubborn and childish.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the.roots patch worked for me

Just drop it into /etc/portage/patches/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18/kernel-3.8.0.patch and portage does the rest.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: