Office 2013 license cannot be moved to new machine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Office 2013 license cannot be moved to new machine Reply with quote

[MicroShaft] The first machine you install it on is the only machine you can ever reinstall it on, forever. How it's implemented, I'm not sure, but I suspect this also means if you replace a motherboard you're screwed as well.
Quote:
Office 2013 retail licensing change ties suite to specific PC forever

'If your computer dies, so does your Office license,' says licensing guru; move seen as prod to adopt subscription-based Office 365

Computerworld - Microsoft yesterday confirmed that a retail copy of Office 2013 is permanently tied to the first PC on which it's installed, preventing customers from deleting the suite from one machine they own and installing it on another.

The move is a change from past Office end-user licensing agreements (EULAs), experts said, and is another way Microsoft is pushing customers, especially consumers, to opt for new "rent-not-own" subscription plans.

"That's a substantial shift in Microsoft licensing," said Daryl Ullman, co-founder and managing director of the Emerset Consulting Group, which specializes in helping companies negotiate software licensing deals. "Let's be frank. This is not in the consumer's best interest. They're paying more than before, because they're not getting the same benefits as before." more ...
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is a virtual machine portable enough? What I mean is, if you have a windows VM installed, can you tie your Office license to that? Because then, it seems like you'd be able to back it up and install the whole os different systems...one at a time, of course...

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.

Last edited by bogamol on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. If you have any reason to use a lot of MS software, I recommend the TechNet subscription program.* Though they may continue ratcheting that back too.

* Multiple licenses for nearly all their products for test/dev purposes. They used to allow 10 licenses per product, but changed it last year. I forget what the new limit is. 3, maybe 5 or something like that. Still pretty good.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
rtomek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Wow. If you have any reason to use a lot of MS software, I recommend the TechNet subscription program.* Though they may continue ratcheting that back too.

* Multiple licenses for nearly all their products for test/dev purposes. They used to allow 10 licenses per product, but changed it last year. I forget what the new limit is. 3, maybe 5 or something like that. Still pretty good.
Yeah, they scaled back the number of keys you get, but from my experience they are volume licenses so you can use each key on multiple machines anyway. It's definitely the way to go for dev purposes, you can just clone the hard disks to set up test and demo workstations.

Also, standard consumer PCs aren't outdated in 3 years anymore, you may get 5-7 years of life out of it, so it's not as bad that Office is connected to a single PC. I disagree that it's more expensive once you get to 3 PCs, the subscription model seems to be cheaper for the consumer than buying an upgrade every 2-3 years.
greyspoke
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:
So, is a virtual machine portable enough? What I mean is, if you have a windows VM installed, can you tie your Office license to that? Because then, it seems like you'd be able to back it up and install the whole os different systems...one at a time, of course...

I have often wondered about that. Presumably VMs provide unique numbers for all the imaginary componentry in order to keep MS licensing satisfied. I use VirtualBox and that allows me to change the MAC address of the network card(s) but nothing else
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this is all Bush's fault.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which reminds me, most of you have got Android phones. Which office clone do you use on your phone?
arnvidr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Which reminds me, most of you have got Android phones. Which office clone do you use on your phone?
plbe's
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

in lieu of OneNote, I use the evernote app. I've been considering going premium and using the moleskine photographing thing, but cost is an issue and I haven't had time to actually flesh this out as a solution. If evernote becomes compatible with hand written notes, then I'll probably use it instead of Outlook and then go full "the secret weapon".

in lieu of Outlook, I use the gmail email app and am working on an LDAP thing to sync my address book.

as for the rest, I don't. I use my phone for content consumption, connectivity and as a capture device.

Juniper wrote:

Last edited by bogamol on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just on time, a very nice Fun Project: LibreOffice 4 :D
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

I do not use a smart phone, but my Asus Transformer uses Polaris Office.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

none. It does not make any sense at all to use any kind of office like app on a telephone. No matter how 'smart' it is.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Office 2013 license cannot be moved to new machine Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
[MicroShaft] The first machine you install it on is the only machine you can ever reinstall it on, forever. How it's implemented, I'm not sure, but I suspect this also means if you replace a motherboard you're screwed as well.
Quote:
Office 2013 retail licensing change ties suite to specific PC forever

'If your computer dies, so does your Office license,' says licensing guru; move seen as prod to adopt subscription-based Office 365

Computerworld - Microsoft yesterday confirmed that a retail copy of Office 2013 is permanently tied to the first PC on which it's installed, preventing customers from deleting the suite from one machine they own and installing it on another.

The move is a change from past Office end-user licensing agreements (EULAs), experts said, and is another way Microsoft is pushing customers, especially consumers, to opt for new "rent-not-own" subscription plans.

"That's a substantial shift in Microsoft licensing," said Daryl Ullman, co-founder and managing director of the Emerset Consulting Group, which specializes in helping companies negotiate software licensing deals. "Let's be frank. This is not in the consumer's best interest. They're paying more than before, because they're not getting the same benefits as before." more ...

Oh no that is horr…wait, I don't care about MS office.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:
notageek wrote:

in lieu of OneNote, I use the evernote app. I've been considering going premium and using the moleskine photographing thing, but cost is an issue and I haven't had time to actually flesh this out as a solution. If evernote becomes compatible with hand written notes, then I'll probably use it instead of Outlook EDIT: OneNote and then go full "the secret weapon".

in lieu of Outlook, I use the gmail email app and am working on an LDAP thing to sync my address book.

as for the rest, I don't. I use my phone for content consumption, connectivity and as a capture device.

Juniper wrote:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: