Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartass wrote:
ppurka, that's a nice idea, but the trouble is that the majority of people in education/academics use ancient browsers which are unable to display most new interactive stuff.
That's not quite true. There may be some people who are really out of touch, who don't want to use any kind of technology, who use ancient browsers. Most academicians *I* know are actually pretty up to date with their browsers. And they are not very young academicians either.
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka, what field is that?

As for vertical integration and bloatware (to make BK happy), I think people don't really understand what they want when they talk about integration. They usually want some existing tools to communicate with each other, share information and act as a bigger system. That's called interoperability. Integration takes some tools and makes a completely new, bigger tool.

It's the mentality "I want this to work with this. Guess I'll have to add more glue and afterwards the whole thing won't be able to break apart". Bullshit ! The AK-47 remains the most widely used weapon because of it's serviceability as it's made of easy-to-assemble, simple parts. The first solid-looking M16s would jam all the time.

Next time somebody tells you to integrate something, ask him if he wants you just to improve the interoperability to save time and money and ensure future reusability.

As for vertical integration, that's a company practice to gain a monopoly. And that's something that should be regulated like in other industries.

tl;dr: IT needs to become a full blown industry with all the respective regulations and employ smarter managers that really care to build on top of past and established development to save time and money.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Integration" does not imply a merging or unification, such that the once-separate become inseparable. It merely implies making the once separate effectively cooperative components of a larger system. Integration is a well-established term in the industry, and if people are abusing it to refer to the fusion or merging of things, they're confused.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartass wrote:
mathematics and engineering.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
smartass wrote:
mathematics and engineering.
Can't speak for all, but our Chemlab is using quite ancient, mostly self-written tools. The most modern tools are just not compatible with the accustomed workflow and the money needed to be spent and the time invested is mostly used for better additional components(ie. better simulation servers, pumps, microscopes, etc.). Only a few people supervise the new stuff, while dozens of the "old" people are doing fine work with what they are used to.

It's as simple as MS' "new" Office, training people for the new ribbons is mostly just not worth it, so is using more modern webstuff. Besides, while jumping for new stuff sometimes seems reasonable, when we look at the big picture, it'll often mean using a solution from a single salesman, who could leave every minute, making it a rather risky investion.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: