View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strubbldesign
Guru
Guru

Location: still somewhere in the matrix but once i was able to look out of it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: copy a table Reply with quote

Hi.

I've managed to get all grafic files i need to write into a txt-file.

Code:
find -size +95k | egrep "(.gif|.jpg|.png|.swf|.JPG|.PNG)" >> /home/fysi/Desktop/to_copy.txt

now i neet an easy way to copy all the files with the path as written in the file o a different location

the file strukture is:
Quote:
./Downloads/Folder.jpg
./Downloads/Photo120916_001.jpg
./Downloads/ring.gif
./Downloads/tas tebery.jpg
./Eigene Bilder/Berg und Wolken.jpg
./Eigene Bilder/Eisberg.jpg
./Eigene Bilder/Hütte.jpg

thanks for your help...
PS there are more then 4000 Lines!
strubbldesign
Guru
Guru

Location: still somewhere in the matrix but once i was able to look out of it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coud you give me an example to make a script that takes a pre-deffinied String, such as "cp -rv" and puts it in front of each line of the to_copy.txt. and a nother string, "/media/Photo_Backup" to the end of each line

thanks
ronsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the .txt file? If i understood what you wanted this could just do it:
Code:

find /path/to/your/images -regextype posix-egrep -iregex ".*\.(gif|png|jpg)$" -size +95k -exec cp --parents {} /path/to/your/backupdirectory/  \;

You can add the echo to exec if you need the .txt file for some reason.
Other idea could be to make a tar package with find and use the tar package as backup.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronsu wrote:
Do you need the .txt file? If i understood what you wanted this could just do it:
Code:

find /path/to/your/images -regextype posix-egrep -iregex ".*\.(gif|png|jpg)$" -size +95k -exec cp --parents {} /path/to/your/backupdirectory/  \;

You can add the echo to exec if you need the .txt file for some reason.
Other idea could be to make a tar package with find and use the tar package as backup.
The text file is unnecessary, but since he generated it, he can perform the copy much more efficiently than the command you specified.

OP: the use of spaces in your filenames complicates the situation. You need to quote the names properly, which could be difficult if you have embedded quotes. The safest solution would be a modification of the command proposed by ronsu: cd /path/to/your/images && (find . -regextype posix-egrep -iregex ".*\.(gif|png|jpg|swf)$" -size +95k -print0 | tar --null -T - -c -f - | tar -C /path/to/destination -x -f - ). You can break this into a find with a later tar if you prefer, but take care to use null terminators.

Also, you did not indicate whether the receiving directory has the required structure. I assume you want to keep the structure, but the request you posted would discard the structure. The use of the double tar will preserve directory structure.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strubbldesign, ronsu, hu, et al ...

Alternately, rsync will also maintain the directory structure, and handle any special chars (spaces, etc) in the filenames:

Code:
% find . -regextype posix-egrep -iregex ".*\.(gif|png|jpg|swf)$" -size +95k -print0 | rsync -av --files-from=- --from0 ./ /path/to/destination

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: