View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chocrates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Is the ring buffer saved? - Kernel Panic on startup Reply with quote

I turned off, unplugged, and stepped away from my gentoo distro for a month. Now that I am back I'm getting a kernel panic (I assume) when either fluxbox or the loging manager loads.
As far as I know absolutely nothing has changed, and I didn't install anything fresh on it without restarting before I left.

I do not know that it's a kernel panic, but the resolution gets really big and drops to the ring buffer output, such that i cannot see the last entry. Additionally ALT + F[1-12] does not change the tty. This is consistent with the kernel panics I have gotten with improper kernel configurations in the past.
Is the ring buffer saved to a file, or can I configure it to be saved with a live system so that I can start debugging this?
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is the ring buffer saved? - Kernel Panic on startup Reply with quote

Chocrates wrote:
As far as I know absolutely nothing has changed
Well - the year has changed :-)And furthermore a monthly scheduled cron job would now run.
Chocrates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is the ring buffer saved? - Kernel Panic on startup Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
Well - the year has changed :-)And furthermore a monthly scheduled cron job would now run.

Haha, good call, but I left January 7th ;) , so I was exaggerating a bit.
I will check cron though, thanks.
Chocrates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the ring buffer saved? - Kernel Panic on startup Reply with quote

toralf wrote:

Alas /etc/crontab has no monthly jobs.

In better news, apparently kernel loggers are what i was looking for! To be honest even after using linux for 5 years, the gentoo install was still a bit magick.
The kernel buffer output is in /var/log/messages

I'll update with root cause and how to fix it when i find it.

Thanks!
Chocrates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Root cause is still unknown, but i fixed it by booting with a live cd and updating my entire tree with
Code:
emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse world

which inadvertently had me configure and boot a new kernel.
After i switched to the open source drivers startx ran fine. Slim might be broken still but it boots to a desktop!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: