Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Knecht
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
Someone in #gentoo at Freenode had USE="openrc" disabled for sys-fs/udev that prevented the keyboard from working in X

I'm just saying it's worth to check

# emerge -pv udev
# USE="openrc" emerge -pv udev

You had my hopes up high for a moment, and I'm very glad for lakeroe, but it doesn't seem to be the solution on this machine. (Unless I'm misunderstanding.) If I've not shown something or misunderstood please let me know.

Both udev packages are installed, udev has openrc enabled, udev runs as part of sysinit and yet when I start X my keyboard and mouse are still dead. Additionally no other package seems to have an openrc USE flag so there's no corollary issue that I can think of.

Quote:
k2 ~ # emerge -pv udev udev-init-scripts

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-fs/udev-197-r3 USE="acl gudev hwdb introspection keymap kmod openrc -doc (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-19-r1 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
k2 ~ # rc-update show --verbose | grep udev
udev | sysinit
udev-mount | sysinit
k2 ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm start
* Setting up kdm ... [ ok ]
k2 ~ # equery hasuse openrc
* Searching for USE flag openrc ...
[IP-] [ ] sys-fs/udev-197-r3:0
k2 ~ #

Now, I'm not quite finished but in parallel I've done a completely new install of Gentoo on a separate partition. This new install has booted and I'm currently working to get X11 and KDE installed. I'm concerned because the original build won't emerge gcc-4.6.3 any more, I'm having keyboard/mouse problems, and it all started with the udev upgrade, having to change the kernel to add CONFIG_DEVTMPFS, and choosing the gcc-4.6.3 profile. This new build is starting with udev-197 & gcc-4.6.3 so it should be cleaner.

I'll report back when I know more but unfortunately this didn't seem to work in my case. <Sad face>
Mark Knecht
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Knecht wrote:
Now, I'm not quite finished but in parallel I've done a completely new install of Gentoo on a separate partition. This new install has booted and I'm currently working to get X11 and KDE installed. I'm concerned because the original build won't emerge gcc-4.6.3 any more, I'm having keyboard/mouse problems, and it all started with the udev upgrade, having to change the kernel to add CONFIG_DEVTMPFS, and choosing the gcc-4.6.3 profile. This new build is starting with udev-197 & gcc-4.6.3 so it should be cleaner.

I'll report back when I know more but unfortunately this didn't seem to work in my case. <Sad face>

OK, I really don't like magic but I do like success. The new, parallel installation of Gentoo come up running on the first boot and X came up running on the first attempt. Mouse & keyboard are both working. I don't have any user accounts on the machine yet so I haven't actually logged in but the KDE Login screen is working fine which it didn't earlier. The only xorg.conf file at this time is the trimmed down version recommended earlier to load the nvidia driver.

I'm going to continue looking at the original Gentoo installation in a chroot to see if I can determine what's different & therefore not working, but at least the new installation should give my wife her machine back in the next day.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Even if we didn't get to an answer I learned a few things so thanks!

I will report back later if I find what was wrong originally but my immediate needs are solved for now.

Cheers,
Mark
kozlo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What helped me after a few hours searching, emerging and trying things is:

emerge -C module-init-tools

enable kmod use flag

emerge udev

I've got udev 197-r3, kmod 12-r1

Btw, I've just realized how useful is having sshd started when upgrading udev, xorg or alike.

Konrad
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Knecht wrote:

You had my hopes up high for a moment, and I'm very glad for lakeroe, but it doesn't seem to be the solution on this machine. (Unless I'm misunderstanding.) If I've not shown something or misunderstood please let me know.

[ ... snip ... snip ... ]

Just throwing ideas for us to get more info on your problem... some easy steps...

Did you remember to `revdep-rebuild --library libudev.so.0` in order to rebuild x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev?
Does `emerge -1 xf86-input-evdev` help?
Anything in X.org logs (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) from the startup?
Anything in dmesg?
See `cat /proc/bus/input/devices` and you should see your mouse, keyboard there, look at the Handlers= line, then look for matching /dev/input/ node and try to `cat /dev/input/event0` (replace 0 with anything) and move the mouse, garbage should show up IIRC
Then look output of `dmesg` again, anything?
Sanya_M
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem (no mouse and keyboard in X) on freshly installed gentoo. "rc-update add udev sysinit" solved it.
xxBartonxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be having a different issue, but here's my input:

I don't think the problem is that the mouse and keyboard aren't working, it's that the screen is not redrawing. I've been having the same symptoms as everyone else, and I'm working with a fresh install on my laptop that was working fine just a few weeks ago. I saved my xorg.conf and my make.conf from before, so I know my packages should be getting built with all of the correct USE flags, and my screen display ought to work. The reason I think the issue has to do with redrawing and not that the system can't find the mouse and keyboard is that if I run startx with xterm emerged, even though my screen goes black and I can't see anything, I can still type commands (which I know because I will tell my computer to reboot). However, if I run startx with "exec startfluxbox" in my .xinitrc, then I see a desktop and I can see my mouse cursor, but when I try to move it around nothing happens. I don't think it's because the mouse isn't recognized, I think it's because the screen is not drawing the mouse movements.

Anyway, that's just my input. I've been trying to figure this out for the past twenty-four hours. I think I'm going to mask udev-197 and see if I can get any results.

EDIT: The problem definitely had something to do with udev-197-r3. I was pulling my hair out trying everything to get X working-- turns out I just needed to wait for udev-197-r4. Everything is working fine now.
gmt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Another aetiology discovered Reply with quote

In my case it turned out this was due to my /lib symlink being broken. Multilib is susceptible to this and I would also assume no-multilib amd64 is as well. See: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=457168 for a bug explaining this and https://457168.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=338814 for a script that can be used to get you most of the way towards resolving the mess (the final steps must be undertaken manually in single-user mode or from a livecd to avoid /lib being locked).
HazeC5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I have exactly the same problem with my gentoo 64Bits, I post a topic in French section but we don't find a solution.

My /usr is separate and when I upgrade udev to the last version and boot on my last kernel [I had must generate an initramfs, because before that I never use it...Kernel boot correctly and fine, without error...] , keyboard and mouse only work in TTY, but when I start gdm they doesn't work at all. :cry: :oops:

This is the reason that I post here. Did you resolve this problem ? If yes what is the solution, please ? I had read this topic, but my English is not very good so maybe I have not seen or understood the solution. [And there is no RESOLVED in the title of this topic.

Thanks for your help :!:
HazeC5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... :D

Thanks a lot to moderation for remove the precedent spam message ! I appreciate this. :wink:
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDIT] Removed outdated information from this post.

Last edited by SamuliSuominen on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
HazeC5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

My setting in /etc/rc.conf is actually that:
Quote:
#rc_hotplug="*"

so what i must do exactly ? I don't understand your link of bugzilla.

Thanks
disneysw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there a solution to this problem because I'm seeing what I think is the same issue.

In my case if the usb keyboard is plugged in during boot it works fine at the command prompt but stops functioning once X11 starts (Actually there is a brief period of time after X has started when I can switch to a Virtual console before the keyboard stops). Adding a second usb keyboard and I can have keyboard interaction, but not from the keyboard that I booted with. Exiting from X11 and the first keyboard still does not work. Rebooting but with the devices swapped in the USB ports and the problem also swaps (i.e. the problem remains with the first instantiated device).

Both devices do appear in /proc/bus/input/devices. Unplugging the non-working keyboard and plugging it back in to any usb port does not solve the problem. However if I run "udevadm monitor" and watch the log files I can see the problem device being added as a kbd to event0.

I have run the system on different hardware (both Intel and AMD) and tried multiple keyboards with the same results. Have also tried rebuilding all installed packages, rebuilding the kernel (with evdev built-in and as a module), double checked to make sure kernel input events are enabled and tried a few kernel versions. I am not using any xorg.conf file.

Kernel: 3.6.11-gentoo-r2
xorg-server: 1.13.1
udev: 200
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Once again, what does 'udevadm info' print for the event* device nodes with udev 197, cause it seems (going by your Xorg log), that for some reason keyboard/mouse aren't getting tagged.

I am having a problem of this sort now (no kbd/mouse in X11).... I have tried a variety of different things based on the hints given in this thread. One thing I cannot figure out is what sort of options, concretely, I should be issuing with udevadm info. I've looked at the help, but it's not helping me.

I have recently upgraded the machine to udev-200 and I think I've got all the USE flags, etc in place. I followed the upgrade instructions religiously, did revdep-rebuilds, etc. Xorg was also upgraded from 1.10 to 1.13.4 along with this, and I think I've done everything right there, too (remerged evdev package and kbd and mouse packages, fwiw, after xorg-server, etc). Pardon me for not copying in all the details of my config.... there's a lot to it.

However the following may be helpful:
Code:
# cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="Power Button"
P: Phys=PNP0C0C/button/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=3
B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="Power Button"
P: Phys=LNXPWRBN/button/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1
H: Handlers=kbd event1
B: EV=3
B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input2
H: Handlers=kbd event2
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=20000 200 20 0 0 0 0 500f 2100002 3803078 f900d401 feffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

Somehow it looks highly incomplete. No sign of a mouse at all. Maybe this is where I need to focus efforts. My mouse is USB. What else can I do/tell? Do not want to downgrade udev :( Wanna keep moving forward...

Thanks very much.
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting bit of data:
Code:
# lsusb
unable to initialize libusb: -99

And well... just to make things clearer. I should have pointed out that I have been studiously building things with USE="-kmod", just because it seems like a hassle to deal with now, and won't be forced on us for many months yet. However it seems that my laptop (different machine), recently updated and working fine, has been updated with +kmod. This can't be what's killing me, can it? :roll:
Code:
# USE="-kmod" emerge -pv sys-fs/udev virtual/udev xorg-server xorg-drivers xf86-input-evdev

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/udev-200  USE="acl firmware-loader gudev hwdb keymap openrc -doc -introspection -kmod (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] virtual/udev-197-r3  USE="gudev hwdb keymap -introspection -kmod (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.4:0/1.13.4  USE="nptl udev xorg -dmx -doc -ipv6 -kdrive -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -suid -tslib -xnest -xvfb" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.3  0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.13  INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse -acecad -aiptek -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -joystick -mutouch -penmount -synaptics -tslib -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="intel -apm -ark -ast -chips -cirrus -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx -geode -glint -i128 -i740 -mach64 -mga -modesetting -neomagic (-newport) -nouveau -nv -nvidia (-omap) (-omapfb) -qxl -r128 -radeon -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng -v4l -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware (-voodoo)" 0 kB

Total: 5 packages (5 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Thanks again.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchcutter wrote:

And well... just to make things clearer. I should have pointed out that I have been studiously building things with USE="-kmod", just because it seems like a hassle to deal with now, and won't be forced on us for many months yet. However it seems that my laptop (different machine), recently updated and working fine, has been updated with +kmod. This can't be what's killing me, can it? :roll:

What is the point of building everything with USE="-kmod" when @system still has the dependency for virtual/modutils and virtual/modutils keeps sys-apps/kmod with USE="tools" enabled anyways?
So might as well build everything with USE="kmod" since it's installed anyways.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: