Xbmc, sound stopped working using hdmi passthrough
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egon2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Xbmc, sound stopped working using hdmi passthrough Reply with quote

Hi,

I am having trouble getting sound in xbmc. It worked just fine before and it stopped working without me changing anything.
I am using pulseaudio and xbmc 12 rc3, sound stopped working when i was using rc2. It works just fine if I use vlc instead so I am think its something with xbmc.

Menu sounds work. Playback of a movie is faster than it should be and I dont get any error when starting a movie. This might have started around when I upgraded to udev 197.
I have removed the .xbmc folder and tried using a new config but the result is the same.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Thanks!
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to create a .asoundrc configuration file in the home directory of the user who runs xbmc. I once had such weird issues, sound suddenly stopped going through the SPDIF channel until I created that file. The issue related to ALSA. The content varies from one adapter to another and I am far from being able to guess it all by myself (it's still black magic to me) but I just wanted to give a hint that worked for me.
egon2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Actually I gave up and installed ubuntu. Two weeks without sound in xbmc is not good :P
vokiel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded to XBMC 12 from 11 and I have the exact same problem.

Guess I should just revert to 11 and put back all versions above 12-r1 as locally masked.. again.

VinzC wrote:
You might have to create a .asoundrc configuration file in the home directory of the user who runs xbmc. I once had such weird issues, sound suddenly stopped going through the SPDIF channel until I created that file. The issue related to ALSA. The content varies from one adapter to another and I am far from being able to guess it all by myself (it's still black magic to me) but I just wanted to give a hint that worked for me.

Yeah.. no.. Thanks for the tip, but I fail to see how that's suppose to make any difference, since the sound is working in older versions of XBMC or other software. This is something related to the build and/or XBMC itself.
vokiel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer: In /etc/portage/package.use

Code:
media-tv/xbmc -pulseaudio

If I compile with pulseaudio all other sound output device in system setting -> audio disappear
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: