emerge php fails in compile phase
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frizzle21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: emerge php fails in compile phase Reply with quote

hi there,

i'm trying to build php ( emerge php )

this is the emerge as it would happen:
Code:

# emerge -av php

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] dev-lang/php-5.4.8:5.4  USE="apache2 berkdb bzip2 cli crypt ctype exif fileinfo filter gd gdbm hash iconv ipv6 json ldap nls phar posix readline session simplexml spell ssl tokenizer truetype unicode xml zlib -bcmath -calendar -cdb -cgi -cjk -curl -curlwrappers -debug -doc -embed -enchant -firebird -flatfile -fpm (-frontbase) -ftp -gmp -imap -inifile -intl -iodbc -kerberos (-kolab) -ldap-sasl -libedit -mhash -mssql -mysql -mysqli -mysqlnd -oci8-instant-client -odbc -pcntl -pdo -pic -postgres -qdbm -recode (-selinux) -sharedmem -snmp -soap -sockets -sqlite3 (-sybase-ct) -sysvipc -threads -tidy -wddx -xmlreader -xmlrpc -xmlwriter -xpm -xsl -zip" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

this is the error message:
Code:

/bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/libtool --silent --preserve-dup-deps --mode=compile x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -Iext/date/lib -Iext/date/ -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/ext/date/ -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/include -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/main -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/ext/date/lib -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/ext/ereg/regex -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/ext/mbstring/libmbfl -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/ext/mbstring/libmbfl/mbfl -I/usr/include/pspell -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/TSRM -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/Zend    -I/usr/include -O2 -pipe  -c /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli/ext/date/lib/parse_date.c -o ext/date/lib/parse_date.lo
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:2075: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted
{standard input}:3033: Error: open CFI at the end of file; missing .cfi_endproc directive
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <http://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
make: *** [ext/date/lib/parse_date.lo] Error 1
 * ERROR: dev-lang/php-5.4.8 failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-lang/php-5.4.8'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-lang/php-5.4.8'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/sapis-build/cli'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/work/php-5.4.8'

>>> Failed to emerge dev-lang/php-5.4.8, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/temp/build.log'

could somebody give me a hint on what i'm doing wrong?
i set the makeopts from -j2 to -j1 already, same breakage at the same point.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frizzle21,

Welcome to gentoo - the fun has just begun :D

Most times it's difficult to impossible to determine the cause of the error just from the tail-end of the message.

Emerge app-text/wgetpaste then wgetpaste /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/temp/build.log and return the link.

Also paste back emerge --info along with the build.log, If you wan to use wgetpaste for that too it's emerge --info|wgetpaste

These should provide sufficient information for determining the cause of the failure :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
frizzle21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
frizzle21,

Emerge app-text/wgetpaste then wgetpaste /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/temp/build.log and return the link.

Also paste back emerge --info along with the build.log, If you wan to use wgetpaste for that too it's emerge --info|wgetpaste

These should provide sufficient information for determining the cause of the failure :wink:

Hello there, thank you for welcoming me here, feels good!

emerge --info | wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here: http://bpaste.net/show/72277/

wgetpaste /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.4.8/temp/build.log
Your paste can be seen here: http://bpaste.net/show/72276/

Today, i added "dev-php5/mailparse php_targets_php5-4" to package.use as suggested here:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/php/php-upgrading.xml#doc_chap3
now the build process breaks at a different point:
make: *** [ext/fileinfo/libmagic/apprentice.lo] Error 1

Then i tried the same thing with php5-3, breaks at the same place (apprentice.lo)

I'm ready to learn nu lesson ;)
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frizzle21,

I'm by no means an expert with portage and it often confuses me, but I noticed what might be some discrepancies. Additionally I'm not familiar with QEMU :?

You have version sys-devel/automake: 1.11.1 and the dependancy graph shows it requires >=sys-devel/automake-1.11.1

You have version sys-devel/autoconf: 2.68 and the dependancy graph shows it requires >=sys-devel/autoconf-2.68

You can check this information with equery g dev-lang/php-5.4.8

Have you done a emerge -uavDN @world yet :?:

I'm using the stable repos and my version of the aforementioned packages are sys-devel/automake-1.11.6 and sys-devel/autoconf-2.69

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
frizzle21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
frizzle21,

I'm by no means an expert with portage and it often confuses me, but I noticed what might be some discrepancies. Additionally I'm not familiar with QEMU :?

You have version sys-devel/automake: 1.11.1 and the dependancy graph shows it requires >=sys-devel/automake-1.11.1

You have version sys-devel/autoconf: 2.68 and the dependancy graph shows it requires >=sys-devel/autoconf-2.68

You can check this information with equery g dev-lang/php-5.4.8

Have you done a emerge -uavDN @world yet :?:

I'm using the stable repos and my version of the aforementioned packages are sys-devel/automake-1.11.6 and sys-devel/autoconf-2.69

Thanks a lot, BillWho!
You already helped greatly, i think i'm closer to resolving this problem now.
When i do "emerge -uavDN @ world" i get circular dependencies:

Code:

It might be possible to break this cycle
by applying the following change:
- sys-apps/util-linux-2.21.2 (Change USE: -udev)

i'll go about fixing the udev related dependencies first, then we'll see if i can update world properly here.
Thanks for these good hints!
frizzle21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the greater part of the build issues i had looks like a memory allocation problem on my vm.
i was using a vm with 256 MB RAM.
i destroyed the VM and rebuilt as 512MB box, overall a more intelligent approach.

things seem to be working better now.

then of course i had to do some emerge --update world and emerge --sync, eventually an emerge portage and back to square one again ;)
it's fun to see all your packages building again, i'll continue enjoying this wonderful distro.

thanks for all advice so far, it did in fact help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: