Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 has landed! Was: E17 is coming? (Part 7)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There can be two solutions to this.

1. emerge the 1.7.5 versions which are in portage

2. Dont use enlightenment-9999. The dependencies are broken. The 9999 should be compiled against the merged efl tree iirc. And there is no ebuild to get the merged efl tree.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpil
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 288

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how can I do this? eix shows me the overlay's versions. Do I have do remove all stuff, including overlay and re-install E17 from portage or there is another way? And what about the package.use and package.keywords folders? With a portage's install there have no use anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mirv
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 13
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpil wrote:
But how can I do this? eix shows me the overlay's versions. Do I have do remove all stuff, including overlay and re-install E17 from portage or there is another way? And what about the package.use and package.keywords folders? With a portage's install there have no use anymore.


Actually, yes, that would be the best way. Remove it all, remove the overlay, then pull from portage. The .use and .keywords shouldn't be required - unless, of course, you want specific use flags.
_________________
the Silly Fish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpil
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 288

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll do that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 792
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on me, only now I'm trying the new release!

But one question... what is up with the ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES variable? Should I keep it in my make.conf? I've tried to set it -connman and it rewards me with a
Code:
Invalid '-' operator in non-incremental variable 'ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES': '-connman'

I can see that -access and -shot are set by default, how to "disable" other things as well?
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put it as -enlightenment_modules_<module name> in package.use. For example, mine looks like this:
Code:
x11-wm/enlightenment -debug -enlightenment_modules_connman -enlightenment_modules_bluez -enlightenment_modules_ofono -xscreensaver -exchange -hal enlightenment_modules_shot

_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 792
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
put it as -enlightenment_modules_<module name> in package.use. For example, mine looks like this:
Code:
x11-wm/enlightenment -debug -enlightenment_modules_connman -enlightenment_modules_bluez -enlightenment_modules_ofono -xscreensaver -exchange -hal enlightenment_modules_shot

Thank you very much ppurka!

I am quite enjoying this new version. The file manager is pretty solid (I still miss hierarchy view for folders, and I will probably miss forever the feature that only konqueror has: the unlimited split view) and I might be using it for simple issues.

Now, something that annoys me a bit is the everything module. I hear wonders about it, but honestly, I never get the grip. Perhaps I'm too used to gmrun and its amazing tab autocompletion, but since gmrun is no longer maintained I'm starting to get anxious about it... I'll keep trying to give everything module a try, but gah!

Also, the systray still working very poorly here.
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
Now, something that annoys me a bit is the everything module. I hear wonders about it, but honestly, I never get the grip. Perhaps I'm too used to gmrun and its amazing tab autocompletion, but since gmrun is no longer maintained I'm starting to get anxious about it... I'll keep trying to give everything module a try, but gah!
The everything module takes some time to gather statistics. tab completion won't work (or maybe it does and I don't know the shortcut). The way to use it is to start typing any program name and if the program comes up in the list below, then you can press enter without completing the name. Same holds for
enlightenment settings (start typing "keybind" to see the keybinding setting, etc),
calculator (start with =, needs bc to be installed),
windows (start typing window name that is already open),
files (start typing file/directory name in the home directory, or start giving full path by starting to type with "/", or if you have the everything-places module then it can show files/directories that are in your gtk-bookmarks),
wikipedia, youtube, google search, etc. can be also searched by installing some extra plugins.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1155

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a communication breakdown due to crazy version numbers?
Can someone look at my notice if it is correct:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=453014#c7

I want to try E17, which ebuild to take to get E17-v1 release?
_________________
fun2gen2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 167

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone recommend a mail notifier applet for the shelf or systray?

I tried gnubuff and asmail but they don't place an icon in systray but open a window instead.
_________________
Göögle is evil!
To protect your privacy search the net with
https://www.ixquick.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Yminus http://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/trunk/E-MODULES-EXTRA/mail/ might work.

@ulenrich mask enlightenment:0 in package.mask and emerge enlightenment:0.17 instead.

EDIT: fixed slot for e16.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II


Last edited by ppurka on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 167

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
@Yminus http://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/trunk/E-MODULES-EXTRA/mail/ might work.

Is there an ebuild for this module?
_________________
Göögle is evil!
To protect your privacy search the net with
https://www.ixquick.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yminus wrote:
ppurka wrote:
@Yminus http://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/trunk/E-MODULES-EXTRA/mail/ might work.

Is there an ebuild for this module?
Yes. e_modules-mail from enlightenment overlay. It should work with e-0.17.0. Just make sure to keyword ** only this particular ebuild.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1155

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
@ulenrich mask enlightenment:0 in package.mask and emerge enlightenment:0.17 instead.

That crazy version scheme means bad public relations for enlightenment. Only experts are supposed to run enlightenment17-v1 this way :(

I had the bodhi in a virtualbox
- it seemed to be stable
- looking at enlightenment website: they care about bugs and provide maintainance releases of their efl libs.

Why is enlightenment handled so badly by Gentoo?
_________________
fun2gen2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 167

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Yminus wrote:
ppurka wrote:
@Yminus http://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/trunk/E-MODULES-EXTRA/mail/ might work.

Is there an ebuild for this module?
Yes. e_modules-mail from enlightenment overlay. It should work with e-0.17.0. Just make sure to keyword ** only this particular ebuild.

It seems not to work. Or I do not know how it should work. I have tried imap on a local dovecot server and local maildir. With imap I get 0/0 mails, with maildir 0/<number of current mails> although there are unread mails.

Is there a log file that may give me some clue why it does not work?
_________________
Göögle is evil!
To protect your privacy search the net with
https://www.ixquick.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yminus wrote:
It seems not to work. Or I do not know how it should work. I have tried imap on a local dovecot server and local maildir. With imap I get 0/0 mails, with maildir 0/<number of current mails> although there are unread mails.

Is there a log file that may give me some clue why it does not work?
No idea. Like I mentioned several posts above, I don't use it.

@ulenrich: enlightenment is slotted in Gentoo. slot 0 is e16, slot 0.17 is e17. That's how slots work. Nothing wrong with that. It is unfortunate that the version number of e16 is set to 1.0.x by upstream.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1155

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Yminus wrote:
It seems not to work. Or I do not know how it should work. I have tried imap on a local dovecot server and local maildir. With imap I get 0/0 mails, with maildir 0/<number of current mails> although there are unread mails.

Is there a log file that may give me some clue why it does not work?
No idea. Like I mentioned several posts above, I don't use it.

@ulenrich: enlightenment is slotted in Gentoo. slot 0 is e16, slot 0.17 is e17. That's how slots work. Nothing wrong with that. It is unfortunate that the version number of e16 is set to 1.0.x by upstream.
Uuups, now I am really confused: I thought of E17 released by upstream as of
Enlightenment17-v1
???
_________________
fun2gen2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 792
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about ecomp/ecomorph? Are we going to have an upstream version of those also? Is the 9999 still working and/or is safe to use it? I've noticed that there is a compositing embedded, but it is not the same thing as ecomorph...
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
What about ecomp/ecomorph? Are we going to have an upstream version of those also? Is the 9999 still working and/or is safe to use it? I've noticed that there is a compositing embedded, but it is not the same thing as ecomorph...
ecomp/ecomorph is not upstream - it is a port of the compiz code from around 2007 to work with e17. As such, I don't know if it is maintained nowadays.

As for enlightenment-9999, I would suggest you to not use it unless you are adventurous. The svn is undergoing lots of changes, including the merge of several efl libraries into one single library/build process. The svn version of e depends on this single build process. Last I checked, the ebuilds do not support this monolithic trunk/efl directory. I didn't even see an efl-9999 ebuild. Stick to stable e for the time being if e is your primary desktop.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 792
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
ecomp/ecomorph is not upstream - it is a port of the compiz code from around 2007 to work with e17. As such, I don't know if it is maintained nowadays.

As for enlightenment-9999, I would suggest you to not use it unless you are adventurous. The svn is undergoing lots of changes, including the merge of several efl libraries into one single library/build process. The svn version of e depends on this single build process. Last I checked, the ebuilds do not support this monolithic trunk/efl directory. I didn't even see an efl-9999 ebuild. Stick to stable e for the time being if e is your primary desktop.

Yeah, I was playing with ecomorph back in 2008, I think. That's sad, I'm going to miss my cube plugin.
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiitoo
l33t
l33t


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 856
Location: Here and Away Again

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Hrm... this probably could warrant a topic of its own, but I'll ask here first.

For quite some time, I've had e17 on my little—test—laptop, working fine and great, but (I think) after this landed into Portage, it stopped working on this main machine. I had not used it for a while, so I'm unsure if the change from overlay to Portage is when it started happening.

Anyblue, to the point!

Starting e would lead into a SIGABRT. More specifically, if starting with a clean prefix, so to speak, I could set the preferences for language and such. When all that is done, it would crash at the point where it should load up the actual desktop. I would get the crash saying SIGABRT'd, which shouldn't happen, and that we couldn't get a backtrace. There would be notes about enabling debugging CFLAGS for e and EFL, and I did just that: CFLAGS="-O0 -g -ggdb3 -pipe". This made no difference (also used the debug USE flag for the packages that have it). Perhaps I should have tried manually compiling it from source, though I'm thinking it shouldn't be required in this case.

So, today, I tried with an old test user account to see if it SIGABRTs on that, too. It didn't, so then I went into comparing them logs and this caught my eye(s):

Code:
MODULE ERR:
There was an error loading the module named: shot<br>No module named shot/linux-gnu-x86_64-0.17.1/module.so could be found in the<br>module search directories.<br>

Now, the question here is, why isn't this module even mentioned in the log for the test user's account? What's pulling it in at run-time, but not at build-time?

I enabled the mentioned module which was one of the two disabled by default ones (the other being access), and now it seems to work. It's crashing a lot when loading settings and other dialogues, but I imagine that might be due to having KDE running at the same time for the same user? Have to test later with no KDE up.

So questions:
  • Why are we unable to get a backtrace? I did not try to manually attach to the process yet. Have to look into that with more time.
  • Why is shot required for the main user but not for the test (almost clean) user?
  • Does it seem like a bug in dependencies?
While it does seem to more or less work now, I posted because I could find no information about this specific issue after lots of DuckDuckGoing and whatnots, so as to document it somewhere for future reference. That, and I would like to understand why it happened to me in the first place. ^^

Might really be a better idea to create a topic of its own for this, unless there's something really simple someone knows to point out!


I feel like I forgot some things, but I think that's the gist of it. Gotta find some sleep now...
_________________
Kind Regards,
~ The Noob Unlimited ~

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shot is a module. If you don't build it, e will fail to load it, but e will run just fine. I have e-0.17.1 running here just fine and I have some modules like connman disabled at build time. It looks like a problem very specific to your setup. Probably you have some old e17 libraries lying around?

As for debug builds, try CFLAGS="-O -pipe -p" (even -O2 should work), USE="debug", and FEATURES="splitdebug".
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
franzf
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 3923
Location: Irgendwo im Nirgendwo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
As for debug builds, try CFLAGS="-O -pipe -p" (even -O2 should work), USE="debug", and FEATURES="splitdebug".

Does USE="debug" also change CFALGS?
IMHO it just enables debug build which adds some nasty asserts ;) plus some extra console output - but NOT "-g -ggdb" to CFLAGS.
And (according to man make.conf) FEATURES="splitdebug" does not do any extra work - only "splits debug info" away.

But of course I could be wrong (using paludis instead of portage).
_________________
"der mac dennoch wesen geil"
Wolfram von Eschenbach, Parzival (Buch 1, Z. 7).
Ein frühes Statement gegen Windows.

My overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3205

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
And (according to man make.conf) FEATURES="splitdebug" does not do any extra work - only "splits debug info" away.
It is true. After you are done debugging you can delete the debug files from /usr/lib/debug.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiitoo
l33t
l33t


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 856
Location: Here and Away Again

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
shot is a module. If you don't build it, e will fail to load it, but e will run just fine. I have e-0.17.1 running here just fine and I have some modules like connman disabled at build time. It looks like a problem very specific to your setup. Probably you have some old e17 libraries lying around?

Yeah, I imagined it should be very much optional. I do find it very strange that e17 will not even start without it for the specific user.

I think it came to me only a few minutes after posting that it almost definitely has to be leftover crud from the old tests, from overlays etc., that is causing this. I will have to look everywhere e17 stores things (so far I only know of ~/.e and ~/.cache and both of those I have obliterated between tests). I'm also not sure why I imagined that KDE running on the same user at the same time could affect parts of e17. I was probably remembering way back to when KDE things might behave strangely when run from KDE and e17 both, heh... Wow, that was ages ago! It was like when e17 was still coming. 8)

The last test I ran only e17 and it would crash all the time when trying to load system settings or anything really.

ppurka wrote:
As for debug builds, try CFLAGS="-O -pipe -p" (even -O2 should work), USE="debug", and FEATURES="splitdebug".

Oh, I didn't include them FEATURES, which indeed are defined in my /etc/portage/env/debug-cflags as well:

Code:
CFLAGS="-O0 -g -ggdb3 -pipe"
FEATURES="${FEATURES} nostrip splitdebug"

I believe I used the Gentoo Backtraces xml for directions on this waaay back, except I recently changed the -ggdb to -ggdb3 since that's what the e17 message mentions.

Anywho, I'm quite certain the problem for the crashing indeed is some leftovers somewhere in the user's home. Not getting the backtrace will probably bug me to no end, so I'll have to get down on that as well. Sooo thanks for them suggestions! Will try them out soon.
_________________
Kind Regards,
~ The Noob Unlimited ~

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum