initramfs dumb questions[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: initramfs dumb questions[SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi All:

I;ve got a system where /usr is on a separate partition from / so I had to put in a initramfs before I upgrade my udev.
I following the http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dracut but of course my first attempt failed as I forgot to put in the UUID= part in this line:
kernel /boot/kernel-3.6.11-gentoo-B root=UUID=d9b11446-ae27-4ef4-8b79-a379ebdd9a79 vga=794

The the boot halted when it couldn't find the disk where root is.

Now its fixed and booted but, before I run emerge -uDp system and out udev 197 on (that is, I will likley not be able to completely boot with out the initramfs) I would like to confirm that everything is working.

So my question to the really smart lads is, how do i confirm that my initramfs boot worked? I carefully watched the bootup screen and couldn't see anything different.

Cheers,
john

Last edited by jserink on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the kernel itself doesn't handle the UUID=... so it it worked that means your initramfs was there to find the device with that UUID and mount it and so on so the boot can proceed.

Now, your question seem to imply only the smart ones out there should answer, so I feel a bit uncomfortable answering it.

Anyway, this is easy to test: just try to boot an older kernel(I mean without the initramfs) with root=UUID=... and see if it works!
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Ok, seems to work Reply with quote

Hi All:

i have since updated to udev-197 and using my initramfs it all seems to work fine.
The dracut wiki works perfect.

Cheers,
john
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: