Random Slideshow Programs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Random Slideshow Programs Reply with quote

Which are the best ones to go for, I have gentoo on my laptop which I use when I am travelling and doing presentations, what I would like is for the slide show to go into recursive directories, so far I have only found Digikam to be able to do this, but I do not wish to have KDE installed, I like my little XFCE desktop too much, I know I could compile Digikam and the required KDE libs, but this would defeat the purpose of having a lite weight desktop in the first place, I have seen many programs that can do slide shows but they all seem to lack (or I have missed the function in settings in said programs) to do recursive directories
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I used it, but I think feh should fulfill your requirements
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks will give it a look over :)
Knute
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would recommend feh as well.

Code:
feh -xdrzZFD 6 <directory>

will give you a recurrsive search, randomized slideshow that switches every 6 seconds.
If you need to use a certain configuration it's easy enough to either put it in a script file or to make an alias for it.
Also, feh has options for fonts, and even for captions.
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds just like what I need, when you say adding it to a script I am guessing you mean a .sh file and then running slideshow.sh

#/bin/bash
feh -xdrzZFD 6 <directory>

(you'll note I am not a script man yet, little steps ;) )
Knute
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, except you will want to replace <directory> with either $1 (so that you can use it on multiple directories) or the actual directory you want it to run, and then making it executable.

Also, you can change the 6 to a different value to either speed up or slow down the slideshow.
There are other variables that you can use as well, or even drop depending on what you want to do with it.
The feh man page is pretty detailed (and sometimes confusing), but if you play with the settings a little bit, you will soon figure it out.
Just be careful if you turn on the recursive and multiwindow mode at the same time. If you have a large directory of pictures that you open up, it can put a pretty heavy load on the machine. ;)

Oh yeah, another use for feh is as an image preview. If you set --cycle-once with the -D <timeout> option, and use one image, feh will display the image for that many seconds and then end. It's kind of handy at times.

HTH
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't (m)any good image viewers unfortunately.

To me, feh is seriously annoying.

Code:

$ feh images/
feh: No loadable images specified.
See 'man feh' for detailed usage information
$ feh --help
See 'man feh'

Not even providing even a few common options on a --help page, very nice.

Then once you read the manpage, it's crap. Lists all options in random order, at least that's how it seems to me. And when you finally find the recursive option, it shows you a picture in a smallish window.

Press the f key to go full screen like 90% of other softwares do that handle images/videos? Nooo. Read the manpage again to find it's the V key because vuck you.

And then when I ls I suddenly find crap files like feh_numbers_numbers_filelist which I didn't tell it to put there. Seriously, what the hell?

My personal preference is media-gfx/gliv - it's fast and it behaves like I expect it to. But probably like feh, it requires some setting up first. (So it starts in fullscreen, scales images correctly, doesn't display extra bars, does not ask for confirm on quit, doesn't do transitions, goes recursive by default, et cetera). It doesn't handle zip files unfortunately (or I haven't found out how). But it supports slide shows, so that's something.

For zip files, there's comix/mcomix, but it's slowww. And if you want full screen, you have to set your screen size in the options because for some weird reason it's not able to determine by itself.

Good luck finding your own personal preference :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: