Easiest way to rebuild packages after Java switch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Easiest way to rebuild packages after Java switch Reply with quote

Some years ago I had to switch from Icedtea to Sun Java because the Norwegian Netbank implementation didn't work with Icedtea, probably a bug compatibility issue ;)

Yesterday I experimented with the masked Oracle Java 7, with depressing results. I should have known better, but I ran an unfortunate "eclean -d distfiles" after the upgrade. The stable Sun/Oracle version, dev-java/sun-jre-bin-1.6.0.37 is no longer available for download, and the masked dev-java/oracle-jre-bin-1.7.0.11 isn't working with my Norwegian Netbank. Out of desperation I installed Icedtea, rebuilt Firefox, and lo and behold, the Netbank is working again. But there are obviously other packages that needs to be rebuilt, and revdep-rebuild doesn't spot changes in the Java configuration. Most packages are probably spotted with this command:

Code:
balapapa ~ # equery d virtual/jre
 * These packages depend on virtual/jre:
app-office/libreoffice-3.6.4.3 (java ? >=virtual/jre-1.6)
dev-java/java-config-2.1.12-r1 (>=virtual/jre-1.5)
dev-lang/R-2.10.1 (java ? >=virtual/jre-1.5)
dev-libs/protobuf-2.4.0a (java ? >=virtual/jre-1.5)
media-libs/libjpeg-turbo-1.2.1 (java ? >=virtual/jre-1.5)
net-dns/libidn-1.25 (java ? >=virtual/jre-1.4)
net-print/cups-1.5.2-r4 (java ? >=virtual/jre-1.6)
sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r3 (java ? >=virtual/jre-1.4)
sys-libs/db-4.8.30 (java ? >=virtual/jre-1.5)

I could of course massage this output, but is there a better method? Firefox is not on the list, even if I know from experience that it has to be rebuilt.
[n00b@localhost]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try "equery d virtual/jdk" as well to catch packages that need to be built with the current JDK as well as those that depend on the current JRE at runtime.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[n00b@localhost] wrote:
You should try "equery d virtual/jdk" as well to catch packages that need to be built with the current JDK as well as those that depend on the current JRE at runtime.

I did, but the output is essentially the same, so I didn't care to mention it. Another interesting command is showing every package that has a "java" use flag (I've set it globally in make.conf):

Code:
balapapa ~ # emerge -epv world | grep " java "
[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r3  USE="acl cxx java nls openmp -cvs -doc -emacs -git -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/db-4.8.30:4.8  USE="cxx java -doc -examples -tcl {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] net-print/cups-1.5.2-r4  USE="X acl dbus filters java jpeg ldap pam perl png python ssl threads tiff usb -avahi -debug -gnutls -kerberos (-selinux) -slp -static-libs -xinetd" LINGUAS="no -da -de -es -eu -fi -fr -id -it -ja -ko -nl -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -sv -zh -zh_TW" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.25-r3:2  USE="berkdb gdbm java pam postgres ssl -authdaemond -kerberos -ldapdb -mysql -openldap -sample -sqlite -srp -static-libs -urandom" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-lang/R-2.10.1  USE="X cairo java jpeg nls perl png readline -bash-completion -doc -lapack -minimal -threads -tk" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] app-office/libreoffice-3.6.4.3  USE="branding cups dbus gnome gstreamer gtk java kde opengl postgres vba webdav (-aqua) -binfilter -binfilterdebug -eds -jemalloc -mysql -odk {-test}" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer -nlpsolver -pdfimport -scripting-beanshell -scripting-javascript -wiki-publisher" 0 kB

But it won't show packages which depend unconditionally on Java.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: