Bizarre beyond WTF
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Bizarre beyond WTF Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21172029
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's been quite the story here on the TV news for some reason (nothing else to talk about I guess). Show you the level of mentality our entertainment industry has (or rather, that they know the average American has). :?

From what I gather (haven't paid much attention) the guy got duped by a former friend, who posed online as a girl and started an online relationship with him, apparently with the aim of humiliating him and bilking him out of some money. To terminate the scam, and maybe to hurt him, the imposter pretended the girl died.

Our mark here is apparently very gullible. He publicly discussed his having to deal with the concurrent death of his grandmother and girlfriend. However, he used it a source of strength apparently, and had a kick-ass season, rising to new heights of stardom.

At some point, he became aware of the hoax but I think he wasn't sure how to deal with it, so when people asked about it, he kept giving the same kinds of answers he had given before (yeah, that was the toughest day of my life, when I found out blah blah blah).

Then, when word of it got out more broadly, people naturally wondered whether he was in on it and had himself perpetrated some kind of hoax on the public.

From what I surmise, he was just a victim. He's kind of a trusting, not-too-bright person. It is strange there is so much interest in it, though. I think it's because people like saying his name. :lol:
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl (the picture of the person used in the hoax) is cute.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
The girl (the picture of the person used in the hoax) is cute.

Well, he didn't want his imaginary girlfriend to be a minger.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Begs the question though, are you allowed to call someone on the Internet (girl|boy)friend?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Begs the question though, are you allowed to call someone on the Internet (girl|boy)friend?

People do. Some never meet. Disappointment is avoided.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That way you don't give anybody AIDS either. I mean they don't give you AIDS. You know what I mean.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
That way you don't give anybody AIDS either. I mean they don't give you AIDS. You know what I mean.

But there's also crippling carpel tunnel syndrome, rickets and a desire to dress as a furby....erm so I have heard.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the title, I thought this was another reelection thread.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just Want To Apologize To Manti Te'o For What I Put Him Through

Lennay Kekua wrote:
Recent events have forced me to do a lot of deep and involved soul-searching. In a little over 24 hours, the nation has watched in bewilderment as the reputation of a wonderful man has been called into question. The worst part about this embarrassing scandal is that it has all been at the expense of a generous, kind, and, above all, trusting man named Manti Te’o, whose only crime was caring for me: an imaginary person who does not exist.

And because of this, I just want to say: I’m sorry, Manti, for everything I’ve put you through.

Though I know mere words cannot do much when the entire world wants to know why you behaved as you did, I want everyone to know that I never meant to hurt you. Indeed, had I known the things I did not do would have caused so much harm, I would have told you from the start that I wasn’t real and that we weren’t actually communicating in any actual sense of the word.

Looking back, our relationship seems like something out of a storybook: a romantic bond forged between a star Notre Dame linebacker and me, a beautiful, entirely fictitious 22-year-old Stanford student. The love Manti and I had was so strong we never once had to question the basic fundamentals of spatial reality or the nature of being—we were just one person and one fictional non-person who were head over heels for each other.

But as time went on, I will admit to being seized by an overwhelming sense of guilt and regret for leading Manti on and making him believe that I was an actual person who existed. I was ashamed of the simple, glaring fact that I am not, nor have I ever been, a real human being. I thought about telling him the truth, but what would I say? That I never had cancer? That I didn’t actually deliver him a message on my deathbed asking him to play through the Michigan State game instead of coming to my funeral that didn’t happen? That I’m not real?

Perhaps a bigger woman could admit such things, but not me. I mean, God, I’m not even alive.

And now, after the sham of my death, and my life, has been revealed, the great injustice is that the consequences for my mistakes are falling on Manti. However, it’s not his fault, even though he must have known in his heart of hearts that this woman whom he had never met or spoken to was not real. Indeed, the more illogical and contradictory every piece of evidence relating to my purported existence appeared, the more he cared. But that’s just Manti for you. My sweet, caring Manti.

Nor, by the way, is any of this the fault of Notre Dame, which allowed the truth of my nonexistence to remain hidden well after it learned of the reality of the situation. Blameless also is the media, which went along with the entire hoax without making even a cursory inquiry into my purported life or background.

And so, I want to formally apologize for what I’ve done. Try as I might, I can’t blame anyone else but myself. I’m the one who isn't real, and this is all on me.

But please believe me when I say I still have so many great memories about the times we had together, Manti, even if said times never actually happened. We had something really special together, something that transcended trifling matters such as physical reality and the nature of existence.

The truth is, I still care about you, Manti, and I’m willing to give this another shot. I know it may take you a while to learn to trust me again, but I’m begging you to take that chance. Why? Because I love you, Manti Te’o. That’s right. Lennay Kekua, an imaginary human who does not exist, is telling you that she loves you. I know it’s crazy. I know we’re probably all wrong for each other on numerous physical and metaphysical levels, but I don’t care. I want you back in my life, or rather the system of non-actualized identifying descriptors I refer to as “my life.” We can still make this work. We can still be together, albeit with a somewhat looser definition of what constitutes “being,” exactly.

Please, I implore you with all my heart, take a chance on our love. After all, what’s the worst that could happen?

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're having a field day with this at The Onion.

'I Was One Of Several People Duped,' Manti Te'o Tells Scarecrow Dressed As Katie Couric

Quote:
Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o admitted Thursday that he was one of several people duped by an elaborate hoax involving the death of his nonexistent girlfriend in a revealing interview with a scarecrow dressed as Katie Couric. “It wasn’t just me—a lot of people got tricked,” said Te’o, who reportedly reached for the scarecrow’s straw hand and gazed longingly into the eyes drawn on the burlap sack face. “You know, Katie, your beautiful face reminds me a lot of Lennay’s. You make me so comfortable, I feel like I’ve known you forever. I love how you’re always smiling.” At press time, sources confirmed that a panicked Te’o was frantically attempting to resuscitate the unresponsive Katie Couric scarecrow.

Hoaxed Linebacker Manti Te'o Now Dating 'Scarlett Johansson's Head On Jenny McCarthy's Body'

Quote:
After falling for an Internet romance hoax, linebacker Manti Te'o has finally found love with an amazing women who looks like two famous actresses taped together.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't understand why it is still getting attention.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I honestly don't understand why it is still getting attention.

Because it's so weird?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen weirder in various "News of the Weird" type articles.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: