Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
I don't believe there are actually people who think the Moon landings were faked. I think it's a conspiracy to create a "we versus they" mentality and assemble a lemming herd who can then be fed some other bullshit.

Growing up, I met a surprising number of people who passionately felt that the moon landings were faked. The region was predominately mormon, and I always chalked it up to some fringe weirdness associated with their religion. It was, by no means, a widely held belief, but there seemed to be a specific subset of folks that had totally bought into the conspiracy. With that said, the 6% figure seems high to me, even in this one specific rural region of the country where the conspiracy had some traction.

If you're talking about Southern Utah, I drove through there once. At the place I stopped for lunch (combined store, restaurant and post office), everybody's eyes were a bit too far apart and I swear to God they were speaking a dialect of English I had never heard before. It immediately reminded me of H.P. Lovecraft's book, The Shadow Over Innsmouth. I've been around, and I pride myself on being at home in various cultures and even being able to adapt to their accents, but I had to ask the lady behind the counter to repeat herself twice before I could make out enough of her words to understand she was trying to take my order.

ratmonkey wrote:
I also know my experience growing up is absolutely not representative of the rest of the country. I had a really weird childhood. My first schoolyard fistfight was because I showed some kid the famous picture of man's evolution from a World Book encyclopedia during library time in first grade. The concept made sense to me as a kid and I thought it was kind of neat. He immediately berated me for my ignorance and informed me that I was going to hell. By recess the argument had escalated to fisticuffs. I also almost got in a fight (lunch lady broke it up when it started getting physical) over whether the world was ending in the year 2000. Even as a second-grader, I was spiteful enough to tell him I'd call him on January 2, 2000. I see his name pop up on facebook once in a while. I'm always tempted to remind him that I was right.

You should do it. But, then you might end up in the bottom of a post hole, or in somebody's stew or something. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: