Will system compiled with amdfam10 run on Vishera aka bdver2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Will system compiled with amdfam10 run on Vishera aka bdver2 Reply with quote

Will system compiled with amdfam10 run on Vishera aka bdver2? The whole system was compiled for a Phenom II X4 965 with CFLAG amdfam10.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Phenom II has the 3DNow instruction set, newer AMD chips don't. If you want it to run on both then you'll need to rebuild at least the @system set with -march=amdfam10 -mno-3dnow.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not arguing with previous post I'd say nothing in the system is built with 3DNow, so the system will run, you will need to rebuild multimedia (and possibly some other) applications.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you've got a point, but it's better to be on the safe side - it only takes one of those instructions to crash a program, and things like glibc have pretty crazy low-level optimisations.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... I have my main box with three Gentoo installs on it (same hard disk, different partitions). I'm currently running an Am3 motherboard (not the + version) with a Phenom II x6 1090t cpu, but am planning on upgrading in the near future to an Am3+ board and either a Pilediver or if they come out within late 2013 a Steamroller.

Ive been using either -march=amdfam10 and recently changed to -march=native, and have in the past upgraded boards and cpus and could always boot into Gentoo and most other distros.

With Gentoo, after a reboot I generally always do a complete emerge -e @world just to smooth any rough edges out and compile new support into the system, but when somebody mentions glibc I really notice.

Anyone think I will run into problems considering the move to a radically different board/cpu architecture that the Bulldozer and beyond hardware presents?

I was hoping to get away with perhaps first building new kernels with any needed support before switching out the board/cpu, but now I'm questioning if that would even work. :?

If it came to it, maybe chroot in from a Gentoo live cd and build a kernel with support for the new hardware, or even just do a compete emerge -e @world from the chroot?
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11

Last edited by wrc1944 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replies above. Haven't yet changed to the FX-8350, will in the next week and see if it works without a recompile.

@wrc1944 I think emerge -e @system from a chroot from a Gentoo cd will work if your upgraded pc doesn't boot.

I guess people that say you don't need a maintenance partition are wrong. A small maintenance partition compiled for generic x86_64 is a good idea.

Lennart Poettering and the move to systemd is wrong headed. They say they want to move everything to /usr cause "advanced features in today's systems can not really bootup with an empty /usr anymore." Well a small maintenance partition is one reason not to move everything and that is really needed.

Last edited by konstk on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konstk,
Please let us know what happens. I assume you already have an am3+ board with a bdver2 bios update?

In my case, I'm betting I can just replace my current x6 1090t with an el cheapo am3 board with a nice high end am3+ board and piledriver or steamroller cpu, and simply reboot using my current install and hard disk. At least that's been my experience with amd systems for many years.

Then, change the make.conf flag to bdver2 or even just keep my current -march=native, and do an emerge -e @world.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
konstk,
Please let us know what happens. I assume you already have an am3+ board with a bdver2 bios update?

In my case, I'm betting I can just replace my current x6 1090t with an el cheapo am3 board with a nice high end am3+ board and piledriver or steamroller cpu, and simply reboot using my current install and hard disk. At least that's been my experience with amd systems for many years.

Then, change the make.conf flag to bdver2 or even just keep my current -march=native, and do an emerge -e @world.

Yes I have the ASRock Fatal1ty AM3+ board. Right now I have the Phenom II X4 965BE cpu and have the FX-8350 in a box ready to upgrade. Will try to upgrade next week. If you're thinking of getting a high end board the ASRock Fatal1ty AM3+ is very good although there are other good ones too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: