Android/Linux system explained in GNU/Linux terms for SysAdm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anotherguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Android/Linux system explained in GNU/Linux terms for SysAdm Reply with quote

I just got an Android phone. I'm all geared up to figure out how everything works. Rather then work through the manual to figure out how it works, it would be a lot easier if I read someone else's notes on how GNU/Linux relates to Android/Linux since I already know GNU/Linux. Also, I am familiar with many GNU/Linux distro system initialization startup routines and package management.

So, I'm looking for someone who has come across a translation guide that explains:
1. Android/Linux OS to GNU/Linux OS (e.g. POSIX, tool differences, important kernel mods et al), and
2. Android/Linux OS to DistroX/Linux OS (e.g. package management, startup initialization, et al) (doesn't have to be Gentoo)

Please understand I know where to look for the info, and could find it all out on my own, I'm just looking for someone who may have already done the notes. I'm finding a lot of clutter, xda-developers.com is the best site I found, but there is still a lot of clutter. Is there a better site?

I'm having to work backwards via
https://android.googlesource.com/
https://github.com/CyanogenMod & http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Main_Page
http://dan.drown.org/android/

For example:

glibc -> boinc
Design decision behind why it is different? uses less RAM
How it achieves this? optimizing memory consumption of each thread
Citation? URL to manual page or developer discussion

Of course my device is rooted.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this great site. It's got a searchable database that you can use to find almost anything. all you have to do is type a few key words into the box and press the enter key.

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
Try this great site. It's got a searchable database that you can use to find almost anything. all you have to do is type a few key words into the box and press the enter key.

NQS
:oops: Somebody didn't read the post.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
NotQuiteSane wrote:

NQS
:oops: Somebody didn't read the post.

I did read the post. What I saw boiled down to "Will some one do my homework for me?"

IMO, it's ok to ask for names of articles or authors to help you find what you need. it is unethical to ask that you be allowed to use someone else's work with any effort, to allow such is just to invite plagiarism.

He says he knows where to find this information. Why is he asking us for this information? the only thing I can come up with is he's too lazy to search for it on his own.

Bring me a specific question that you've tried to answer on your own, and I'll help where I can. Give me a broad question you've spent little or no time on and I'll laugh in your face.

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't ask for you to search for him, he asked if you new of a source that explained it. Big difference.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NQS, if your ethical values were the values of the world, we'd still be in the dark medieval ages, because everyone would have to discover and invent everything for himself. Today it's the other way around, "publish or perish" is the saying. The idea is that if you publish your findings and notes, someone may be able to build on top of them and take the total human knowledge further. In the academic environment, people would race to give this guy their notes and he would cite them in return. If you can't provide the knowledge he seeks then just say you can't. There's no reason to be offensive.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartass wrote:
NQS, if your ethical values were the values of the world, we'd still be in the dark medieval ages, because everyone would have to discover and invent everything for himself. Today it's the other way around, "publish or perish" is the saying. The idea is that if you publish your findings and notes, someone may be able to build on top of them and take the total human knowledge further. In the academic environment, people would race to give this guy their notes and he would cite them in return. If you can't provide the knowledge he seeks then just say you can't. There's no reason to be offensive.

If you publish generally people have to pay for a copy of the results. In fact there was a high profile case recently where someone was charged for flooding the market with allegedly stolen academic papers.

Unless the OP worded things wrong it seems they do want someone else's research posted here.
Quote:
Rather then work through the manual to figure out how it works, it would be a lot easier if I read someone else's notes on how GNU/Linux relates to Android/Linux since I already know GNU/Linux.

As for the developer page for Android that would be http://source.android.com/

*edit* Not sure if "flooded the market" is true, but the guy was charged with stealing millions of papers...
anotherguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EMBRACING THE FLAME]

NotQuiteSane wrote:

I did read the post. What I saw boiled down to "Will some one do my homework for me?"

It is exactly what it boils down to. :D

NotQuiteSane wrote:

IMO, it's ok to ask for names of articles or authors to help you find what you need. it is unethical to ask that you be allowed to use someone else's work with any effort, to allow such is just to invite plagiarism.

Why are you on a Linux site then? Or does coding not constitute "work"?

NotQuiteSane wrote:

He says he knows where to find this information. Why is he asking us for this information? the only thing I can come up with is he's too lazy to search for it on his own.

Because the human's brain is associative. If you say "the C library is packaged into boinc" you can condense that into "glibc=boinc". Parsing the words requires more Brain Cycles(TM) than parsing "glibc=boinc"; essentially my brain will break down the former statement into the latter. I'm looking for someone who has done this processing already and is willing to Share(TM).

People new to Android have no idea what glibc is, thus it will require MORE Brain Cycles(TM) for them to parse the latter statement; in fact, their brain will probably throw up a parsing error 8O

Learning is always easier when you have something you already know that you can relate it to. You can learn anything in a fraction of the time if you are explained it in those terms.

NotQuiteSane wrote:

Bring me a specific question that you've tried to answer on your own, and I'll help where I can. Give me a broad question you've spent little or no time on and I'll laugh in your face.

You have not done the processing required that I seek. That is OK. Or if you have, you have not transcribed it into a deliverable format. That is also OK.

I appreciate you willing to answer specific questions, I have just ran into so many specific questions, I found it worth my time to seek if someone has made this info more easily parsed for Linux geeks as it seems like most of the info out there is for Window kiddies where the technical specifics are fluffed over to make the Microsofties feel safe.

I can seek the info I desire faster on my own than asking, but through inspection, further ?s arise that "require" more probing. Example:

Question: Where is stuff located?
Observations:
1. files seem to be located in multiple locations
Solution:
1. find / -name "Some Unique (hopefully) File"
2. record destinations found
2a. thinking about this ... original embedded Android systems had limited RAM.
2b. RAM is cheaper now and stuff has moved around to accommodate the increase.
2c. must have been done to increase compatibility

/sdcard
=
/storage/sdcard0
=
/data/media

Spawned questions:
Which is the correct directory?
Just exactly how POSIXish is this?

Yes I can (and have) grep the init to see how the system gets setup, look through the android dev site, etc.

However, a manual will not often include a reference to udev if it doesn't use it. But it isn't always 100% obvious I'm reading about a udev governing mechanism without utilising more Brain Cycles(TM). For example, how does this /dev/block/vold work? I may not realize vold has anything to do with hotplugging if I come across this info tangentially.

But I know others have these questions and answer them. But I'm not doing anything special or unique. Just trying to figure out how (and sometimes why) someone else before me chose to put the dishes in *that* cupboard. This is LAME to do on an epic scale which is why hobbyist groups exist; reducing brain cycles required to parse the info. Internet blogs, forums, etc are the current hobbyist framework where people can share knowledge with each other. With unlimited time, google can find it. But with unlimited time, I wouldn't need google :wink:

[/EMBRACING THE FLAME]

I came across http://www.embeddedlinuxconference.com, but I don't see presentations readily available at that site.

So far, the best resource I have come across

Matt Porter
https://plus.google.com/108244279740379322507/posts
Especially, http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/ELCEurope2009Presentations?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Mythbusters_Android.pdf
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: