instalation on an asus G75VW laptop, upgraded ram and SSD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: instalation on an asus G75VW laptop, upgraded ram and SSD Reply with quote

So I gave up trying to shortcut an install on my new laptop, somehow the newest minimal recognized my video card and all my networking. I figured that because of this i would just genkernel, but it seems the net.* files i had mounted into my chroot env from a usb, even after i symlinked them, do not work. Nor can i find anything in the find command for modules to add from lspci. So I will proceed to look into making net.* files for my usb0, wlan0, lo, and eth0. The module thing, I've compiled gentoo on my year and a half old laptop without messing with the modules and been fine.. yet even with a relatively small amount of use flags ( as i only use either xfce or fluxbox.. and only to be able to have multiple terminals, Geany and a browser going at once ). I believe everything else is set up fine, although even after several installs on my old laptop, i couldnt for the life of me get grub to boot, and my first install on my old laptop i could at least manually boot from grub. so im using lilo. Any suggestions / links / help would be awesome, i just want to get this piece of shit working so i can get to work on this beast and not be half assing it with calculate, or anything similar, as even most of those don't like all the new hardware on this new laptop sitting next to me.
GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 19 11:17:39 UTC 2012
GNU/Linux
xobtihs
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I will proceed to look into making net.* files for my usb0, wlan0, lo, and eth0
these should be symlinks to net.lo. net.lo is provided in stage 3. check that you still have /etc/init.d/net.lo; if so:
Code:
cd /etc/init.d
ln -s net.lo net.eth0
ln -s net.lo net.wlan0
ln -s net.lo net.usb0
what device uses usb0; never seen that before.

Quote:
Nor can i find anything in the find command for modules to add from lspci
Not sure what you ask... Perhaps: boot cd, run
Code:
lspci -k
An entry like, for example:
Quote:
00:08.0 Bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8239
Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
Kernel modules: forcedeth
tells me what driver and module the cd kernel uses for my ethernet NIC and by extension what driver I should build in my kernel configuration.
Or perhaps you refer to step 7e of the handbook?
Quote:
find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko' | less
This step is optional and unnecessary for 99.99% of users.
Quote:
i couldnt for the life of me get grub to boot
Very unusual. Legacy grub or grub 2? what file system is on /boot?
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im running arch atm but with the modules, basicly the newest minimal iso boots up and says hey, i see your video card, your wlan etc, and the usb0 is my phone tethering ethernet btw. this is where i always run into problems, as for grub, i was using legacy as its the one im used to and can boot from rescue if i need to without issue (usually), but i had lilo working so its no biggie. im just not sure since if the minimal iso see's my network interfaces do i need to create the wlan0, usb0, eth0 in the like of making net.wlan0 net.usb0 net.eth0 ? because i wasnt sure, and if they work in the minimal cannot i copy them over to my install and just ln -s to net.lo as it says? as well the modules, im really not sure on this to be honest, i've never had to mess with it but i need to make sure its loading my nvidia card, but if its loading on the minimal it should be ok? all in all i guess should i just use the networking from the minimal? and just symlink them to lo?
GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 19 11:17:39 UTC 2012
GNU/Linux
xobtihs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: