The ultimate female driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: The ultimate female driver Reply with quote

Woman Drives for 900 Miles Instead of 90 Thanks to GPS Error (and Total Stupidity)

Quote:
I've read plenty of crazy GPS stories, but this has to be the craziest of them all: a 67-year-old woman drove for 900 miles over the course of two days because of a GPS error combined with her complete lack of attention. Her actual destination was only 90 miles away.

The woman, 67-year-old Sabine Moreau, started her journey in her home town of Hainault Erquelinnes, Belgium. She wanted to pick up a friend at a train station in Brussels, just 93 miles north from her point of origin. But instead, she turned on her GPS, which told her to drive south, taking her turn by turn all the way down to Zagreb, in Croatia. Instead of a couple hours in the car, she spent a couple days to cover the 900 miles that separates both points in Europe.

During Sabine's odyssey, she stopped two times to get gas, slept for a few hours on the side of the road, and even suffered a minor car accident. How the hell did this happen without her noticiting? She knows it sounds weird, but she was distracted, she said:
Quote:
I was distracted, so I kept driving. I saw all kinds of traffic signs, first in French, then German and finally in Croatian, but I kept driving because I was distracted. Suddenly I appeared in Zagreb and I realized I wasn't in Belgium anymore.

Yes, Dorothy, you weren't in Belgium anymore. But as hilarious and zany this may seem, her son wasn't very amused. After a day, he alerted the police, who started a fruitless search. Obviously, not everything is right in Sabine's head or her GPS.

“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least she wasn't american :D
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Belgian woman, so it's just the woman that's stupid.

If this happens in America, it'd be how Americans are stupid.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! How did she drive before she had GPS?

I'm actually impressed, back in the days we'd get all kinds of stoned and stuff, and never managed something like this. Best result was being off by 250km
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fun story to tell, but that sounds more like a slight stroke. :?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate female driver Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead of a couple hours in the car, she spent a couple days

During Sabine's odyssey, she stopped two times to get gas, slept for a few hours on the side of the road, and even suffered a minor car accident. How the hell did this happen without her noticiting? She knows it sounds weird, but she was distracted, she said:
Quote:
I was distracted, so I kept driving. I saw all kinds of traffic signs, first in French, then German and finally in Croatian, but I kept driving because I was distracted. Suddenly I appeared in Zagreb and I realized I wasn't in Belgium anymore.
If you're that "distracted," it would seem you are incapable of safely operating a motor vehicle. I don't care how "distracted" you are, it doesn't seem reasonable to lose an entire day and not realize 93km should take ~2hrs to travel. No joking, this seems like a mental problem, perhaps early dementia.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or she's just a bad liar.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Or she's just a bad liar.
++

Nobody takes an 2hr diversion.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relativity Strikes Again!

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either she's an alcoholic who went on a bender and was having a pretty good time, or she's an abused person who was doing a good job of escaping her abuser until the authorities said "Hi. We're the government, and we're here to help."
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds legit. Signs in German? Maybe Belgium was invaded again while driving from A to A+10km. Croatian? She surely must be in Brussels....

the rest can be easily explained with a life time of fruity beer and belgian pommes frittes.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate female driver Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Quote:
Instead of a couple hours in the car, she spent a couple days

Quote:
If you're that "distracted," it would seem you are incapable of safely operating a motor vehicle. I don't care how "distracted" you are, it doesn't seem reasonable to lose an entire day and not realize 93km should take ~2hrs to travel. No joking, this seems like a mental problem, perhaps early dementia.

It even states she got into an auto-accident, I think we can certainly conclude she has no business driving an automobile at all.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: