Forgot udev USE flag early on
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ISHAIM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Forgot udev USE flag early on Reply with quote

Hi,

I made a typo for the "udev" USE flag in make.conf after installing quite a few packages on a fresh install. My system seems completely stable until I finally noticed that in make.conf, I had typed "dev" instead of "udev". I'm not sure about this, but I'm assuming my system's not completely broken just yet because anything that actually needed udev would've pulled it in and emerged it early on. I have corrected the typo, but after attempting to fix all of my world packages with emerge -avtNDu world, portage complains badly about keyword changes, blocks, and slot conflicts.

I'm unsure how exactly I should go about fixing this problem. I'm afraid to experiment since I don't fully understand what I should be doing in this situation, and I'm worried I'll just break my system even further if I do so.

Here is the output I'm getting: http://pastebin.com/ervz2NE1
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISHAIM,

emerge -uavDN @world should take care of that USE change :wink:

UPDATE: I didn't see the paste - add --autounmask-write and check what's in the file.

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
ISHAIM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this safe? I don't want to perform any batch operations I can't or that will be difficult to undo. :( Thank you for your assistance so far.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISHAIM,

Well, from your pastebin it appears that you mixed stable and testing so there are dependencies that can't be met without allowing them from testing.

From your pastebin:
Code:
#required by gnome-base/gvfs-1.14.2[udisks], required by xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[udev], required by xfce-extra/thunar-archive-plugin-0.3.0, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=sys-fs/udisks-2.0.91 ~amd64

The stable version of udev is sys-fs/udisks-1.0.4-r2, but you need sys-fs/udisks-2.0.91 which is masked :(

So the package.accept_keywords file will need to be updated to reflect that.

ISHAIM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible or realistic to go back to the stable versions of those packages? I did modify package.accept_keywords and add ~amd64 to all of those exact same packages in haste, wondering whether or not that would fix it.

I have commented those lines out, and that is where the pastebin is from, but the packages still seem to want the ~amd64 keyword change.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISHAIM wrote:
Is it possible or realistic to go back to the stable versions of those packages? I did modify package.accept_keywords and add ~amd64 to all of those exact same packages in haste, wondering whether or not that would fix it.

I have commented those lines out, and that is where the pastebin is from, but the packages still seem to want the ~amd64 keyword change.

I'm not sure what other USE settings you've made, but you might have to manually remove packages and/or remove/disable USE flags that are causing conflicts -e.g.
Code:
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/module-init-tools ("sys-apps/module-init-tools" is blocking sys-apps/kmod-12-r1)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/kmod ("sys-apps/kmod" is blocking sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r2)

For a stable desktop setup, kmod is not installed and module-init-tools are:
Code:
bill@stable ~ $ equery l -p kmod
 * Searching for kmod ...
[-P-] [ ~] sys-apps/kmod-12-r1:0
[-P-] [ -] sys-apps/kmod-9999:0

bill@stable ~ $ equery l -p module-init-tools
 * Searching for module-init-tools ...
[-P-] [ ~] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.6-r1:0
[-P-] [ ~] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.10:0
[-P-] [ ~] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.11.1:0
[-P-] [ ~] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.12-r1:0
[-P-] [ ~] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.13:0
[IP-] [  ] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r2:0

Start with checking all your use settings...

ISHAIM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only keyword changes I have made to package.accept_keywords are:

Code:
# dev-libs/glib ~amd64
# gnome-base/gvfs ~amd64
# dev-lang/spidermonkey ~amd64
# virtual/udev ~amd64
# sys-fs/udisks ~amd64
# sys-apps/kmod ~amd64
# sys-auth/polkit ~amd64
# sys-apps/hwids ~amd64
# sys-fs/udev ~amd64
# sys-fs/udev-init-scripts ~amd64

which I have now commented out since I'd prefer not to have kmod if it's unstable and I already have module-init-tools.

The only USE flag I have added to make.conf is "udev", and the only package.use flags I've added are

Code:
# gnome-base/gvfs udisks
# sys-fs/eudev gudev hwdb

I emerged "virtual/udev", which I don't know is safe or not to do.

Other than that, I might have tried to successfully emerge a package or two with these changes but I've commented them out as you can see.

From speaking with a couple of people, it's not the worst thing in the world to mix stable and unstable packages and from what I know this is done often on personal desktop systems. I understand what the consequences of what those actions may be, but I also wonder how realistic it is to keep a purely stable system, as nice as it sounds.

Even before I've made any changes to package.accept_keywords and package.use, simply adding "udev" to make.conf resulted in all of this, so I'm wondering whether or not this situation was avoidable in the first place.

I am willing to mix the stable and unstable packages, especially since I've done so before without too many problems. I know it sounds silly, but I only want to do so within reason so my system itself stays stable :wink:.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISHAIM wrote:
Even before I've made any changes to package.accept_keywords and package.use, simply adding "udev" to make.conf resulted in all of this, so I'm wondering whether or not this situation was avoidable in the first place.

Which profile are you using :?:

If you have it set to any of the desktops then the udev change shouldn't have affected any packages because it's already set in /usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults.

If your profile was set to something other than desktop then the USE change would make a difference. Perhaps you overlooked another change :?:

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: