Starting from everything set to "=n" then minimal compile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matte88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Starting from everything set to "=n" then minimal Reply with quote

Hi all!
Maybe this will be a crazy and non-sense topic about a mad thing I thought, but until someone will answer me, I won't know if this is worth or not :lol:

Ok, I found that a minimal config starting from Pappy McFae seeds gave me a kernel size about >~4MB, where most of the other distro's kernel are around this size. So... Where's the optimization?
Someone will tell me "there are far fewer modules!!!", ok! Btw, I wanted to drastically reduce the size of it and I decided to this way (with no results... :roll: )
After backing-up my working .config, I've opened it with a GUI text editor and all =y and =m have been replaced with =n (I know that in the kernel there are hidden options you "cannot" change).
Then - with xconfig - I added only the needed drivers for my PC, setting all of them as modules (except for ahci and ext4 that are statics).

Now the kernel size is 1,1M, but... Is not working! :oops:
After selecting Gentoo from Ubuntu's GRUB menu, in the screen remains only the purple background of Ubuntu's GRUB menu, nothing else. The HDD led is not showing activity ad if I press the Power button, PC turns off immediately.

Ideas about this mess? :mrgreen:

Last edited by Matte88 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expected results. You include no video drivers and you have no video output. You include no HDD drivers and have no disk activity. You include no filesystems and...well, you get the idea.

The Kernel Seeds configuration is not, as far as I know, a minimal configuration; it's more of an optimal base configuration, minus your hardware drivers: you had to add to it, not subtract, to get a usable kernel. If you're trying to discover a more minimal configuration, you'll be much less frustrated if you start from something working—like a good Kernel Seeds-based kernel—and subtract rather than the other way around. With no (or very little) domain knowledge, you're in for a long road, though.

- John
Matte88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks of the interest! :)
John R. Graham wrote:
Expected results. You include no video drivers and you have no video output. You include no HDD drivers and have no disk activity. You include no filesystems and...well, you get the idea.
Matte88 wrote:
After backing-up my working .config, I've opened it with a GUI text editor and all =y and =m have been replaced with =n (I know that in the kernel there are hidden options you "cannot" change).
Then - with xconfig - I added only the needed drivers for my PC, setting all of them as modules, except for ahci and ext4 that are statics.

I was just wondering how to get some debug infos to find what's missing into config to get at least some readable output! :cry: Maybe should I set statics also the video/display drivers?!?
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you booted a bloated standard kernel then:

cd /usr/src/linux
make help

shows
localmodconfig - Update current config disabling modules not loaded
localyesconfig - Update current config converting local mods to core

But think about modules unloaded before you trigger "make localmodconfig", like microcode!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: