Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Another shooting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 759
Location: EU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: School shooting averted in california Reply with quote

by talking to the shooter!

brave teacher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dupe of : http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7220248.html#7220248
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
I didn't see any people chucking dismembered arms at bystanders in your examples of unreported gun violence. Perhaps you have missed the point entirely. :?


hmmm. i can't make it any clearer.

you: thesis, one piece of evidence.
me: 5 pieces, counter evidence.

Yup. You missed the point. :? :sigh:

You are trying to equate routine homicides with an obviously spectacular and gruesome crime of sensation value to opportunistic media. Nobody is interested "Dashawn Wilkins was DOA at Detroit Memorial Hospital after a drive by in urban Detroit". However, everybody is going to be glued to their TV set to hear about some dude flinging his victim's dismembered arms at onlookers. So why wouldn't such a story get coverage by the big networks? It would, unless somebody (several people, in several parallel operations) said "no" to it, overriding the normal process of bubbling such sensational stuff to the top. Somebody quashed it. Why? I don't know, but my guess would be because It doesn't support their current dialog.

Your five pieces of "counter evidence" aren't relevant unless they are equally sensational.

You usually put more thought into your posts. Why so mindless on this particular issue?
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 759
Location: EU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
I didn't see any people chucking dismembered arms at bystanders in your examples of unreported gun violence. Perhaps you have missed the point entirely. :?


hmmm. i can't make it any clearer.

you: thesis, one piece of evidence.
me: 5 pieces, counter evidence.

Yup. You missed the point. :? :sigh:

You are trying to equate routine homicides with an obviously spectacular and gruesome crime of sensation value to opportunistic media. Nobody is interested "Dashawn Wilkins was DOA at Detroit Memorial Hospital after a drive by in urban Detroit". However, everybody is going to be glued to their TV set to hear about some dude flinging his victim's dismembered arms at onlookers. So why wouldn't such a story get coverage by the big networks? It would, unless somebody (several people, in several parallel operations) said "no" to it, overriding the normal process of bubbling such sensational stuff to the top. Somebody quashed it. Why? I don't know, but my guess would be because It doesn't support their current dialog.

Your five pieces of "counter evidence" aren't relevant unless they are equally sensational.

You usually put more thought into your posts. Why so mindless on this particular issue?


I guess you didn't get your point either. Let me help you out. here is what you said.

BK wrote:

Why? I don't know, but my guess would be because It doesn't support their current dialog.


what is this current dialog? you suggested suppressing violent non-gun attacks while sensationalizing gun attacks. Now, unless chicago is an outright war zone, I would think 1 dead + 10 wounded AND 1 dead + 8 wounded would be adequate fodder for the raving liberal anti gun lunatics, but it appears not to be.

OR, here is my theory. your theory is bullocks. furthermore, a wise man (you) once said that anecdotes aren't great evidence. Frankly, that's all you have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 172

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Only in America Reply with quote

We Interrupt This Report About The NRA And School Shootings To Report A School Shooting. Seriously.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/joe-biden-school-shootings_n_2449264.html
_________________
If English was good enough for Jesus, then it's good enough for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really envy Europeans. They can act morally and intellectually superior knowing they have never had any mass killers of women and children.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1227
Location: Jefferson, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one had a shotgun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

But the hispanic thing is weird. Why do immigrants to your country partake in so much violence? Good question, no? But I don't think we should hide from these hard questions and we should certainly look at the package.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Take a look at this data. I would like a reasoned observation concerning the US's low position with regard to Western Hemisphere murder rates. The worst by far occur in former Spanish and Portuguese colonies. You may come to realize that to emigrate to the US from most Western Hemisphere countries is to find a safe haven (relatively so).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
I guess we will have to rely on evidence
Up until now you haven't been? Is Fox the only biased news agency out there?


he made an assertion with one piece of evidence. sorry, as BK so wisely pointed out, anecdote != evidence (except for existence claims).
Oh, good. I almost thought Fox was biased.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
juniper wrote:

But the hispanic thing is weird. Why do immigrants to your country partake in so much violence? Good question, no? But I don't think we should hide from these hard questions and we should certainly look at the package.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Take a look at this data. I would like a reasoned observation concerning the US's low position with regard to Western Hemisphere murder rates. The worst by far occur in former Spanish and Portuguese colonies. You may come to realize that to emigrate to the US from most Western Hemisphere countries is to find a safe haven (relatively so).

It's due to genetics. Americans have Northern European genes, while Central and South Americans have the genes of Spanish Conquistadors, Portuguese Missionaries, and escaped Nazis.
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Jun 2002
Posts: 1375
Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dupe of School shooting averted in california
_________________
mcgruff wrote:
I can't promise to be civil.


pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
Dupe of School shooting averted in california
Dupe of http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7220248.html#7220248
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek: 1 RoW: 0
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel better?
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, now I've done my good deed for the day and can move on to something else. Hmm... maybe the learn something new check box.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“I don’t believe in guns,” said Dorsey. “I don’t own a gun. I’m totally at the mercy of my saviors. They obviously sent two angels to help me. These people protected me when I couldn’t protect myself.”

His former mayor, a Democrat, had been heard at times speaking of personal responsibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he had the decency to thank them.

Quote:
After the robber had been shot, police say he jumped over a fence and was attacked by a German Shepherd. That attack prevented him from getting away.
lol

A shame about the depressing ending :(
Quote:
The suspect, identified as Christopher Hutchins, is being treated at Ben Taub Hospital. He’s expected to recover.

_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 759
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
juniper wrote:

But the hispanic thing is weird. Why do immigrants to your country partake in so much violence? Good question, no? But I don't think we should hide from these hard questions and we should certainly look at the package.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Take a look at this data. I would like a reasoned observation concerning the US's low position with regard to Western Hemisphere murder rates. The worst by far occur in former Spanish and Portuguese colonies. You may come to realize that to emigrate to the US from most Western Hemisphere countries is to find a safe haven (relatively so).


if you compare the US to somalia, rwanda and iraq it comes out well too.

america is just a geographical grouping, and that doesn't make as much sense as an economic/political grouping. How does the US compare to other western rich democracies?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum