Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
It's not a perfect analogy, but if you worked at a machine shop that made specialty parts for aircraft, would you find it acceptable to use their machining equipment during your off hours to make parts for a side business you have selling custom motor bike parts? Even if you paid the electrical bill, paid for the metal stock, and bought your own cutting tips, so it had damn near zero financial impact, there are very few companies that would allow this.

If it were me, I'd stay away from this, and do the work on my personal laptop on my own time.

There's a liability issue, a cost issue, a security issue, and a personal use policy issue in that machine shop scenario which I think make it an inappropriate analogy. If you cut your arm off in the machine shop, they'd be liable, while there is no analogous risk to the company in your using the laptop to just do programming (provided you stay off the internet, which is probably not against policy anyway). There is a high per-hour cost to running machining equipment, while the per-hour cost of using a laptop is negligible. You might be materially breaching the physical security of the plant by unlocking it and being in there at night, while companies issuing laptops to programmers expect them take them home (often in hopes they'll do what amounts to uncompensated work during off hours).

Clearly, it's better to use your own resources, though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: