Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Weekly Beer Round-up
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 353
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
I'm an endangered species on OTW. Something needs to be done, they have breeding programmes for Pandas don't they ?

This beeing a linux forum I doubt we could find a female specimen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
that's what the irish say, but don't believe them. I have only been to ireland once, but had a bunch of guinness (because that is pretty much all you can get in ireland). It tastes the same.
pjp wrote:
jonnevers wrote:
it all tastes the same me and i pay attention to it.
Interesting. You are the first I've heard say that (maybe 10 ppl or so).
You're now the 2nd person I've heard make that claim. Those I've heard say it were from the US. Although, it may be an issue of draught vs. bottled or canned.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 759
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
juniper wrote:
meantime is my favourite.


Noted, if I see it in my travels, I'll grab a bottle - I always like to try a new tipple.

juniper wrote:
as the only other brit here


There has to be more of us ...

?

I'm an endangered species on OTW. Something needs to be done, they have breeding programmes for Pandas don't they ?


As you know, I am not really a brit.

But time does fly. Applying for ILR nowish. I will have to take the knowledge of britain test as well as the the language test. I may have to study for the knowledge test. I subconsciously block out all information concerning the monarchy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 759
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
that's what the irish say, but don't believe them. I have only been to ireland once, but had a bunch of guinness (because that is pretty much all you can get in ireland). It tastes the same.
pjp wrote:
jonnevers wrote:
it all tastes the same me and i pay attention to it.
Interesting. You are the first I've heard say that (maybe 10 ppl or so).
You're now the 2nd person I've heard make that claim. Those I've heard say it were from the US. Although, it may be an issue of draught vs. bottled or canned.


I am comparing draught vs draught.

Ireland is a big beer scam if you ask me. The propaganda will tell you that it is a great place for beer, but it is all dominated by Guinness. There is very little variety in pubs. And I don't mind Guinness. But, outside of five standard beers, there isn't much.

England is the place for beer (on the british isles). Lots of local brew. Different pubs will have all sorts of different beer. My locals all have different beer and even within themselves they shift it around pretty often. I easily have a new beer a week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mardok45
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 64
Location: Right behind you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Three Floyds Gumballhead and Zombie Dust. OMIGOD such good (and hoppy) beer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
that's what the irish say, but don't believe them. I have only been to ireland once, but had a bunch of guinness (because that is pretty much all you can get in ireland). It tastes the same.
pjp wrote:
jonnevers wrote:
it all tastes the same me and i pay attention to it.
Interesting. You are the first I've heard say that (maybe 10 ppl or so).
You're now the 2nd person I've heard make that claim. Those I've heard say it were from the US. Although, it may be an issue of draught vs. bottled or canned.


I am comparing draught vs draught.
That might explain it. I've always assumed the people claiming it was better in Ireland were comparing the same thing, but maybe they were comparing it to the bottle/can stuff in the US.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 02 Jan 2003
Posts: 1593
Location: Gentoo64 land

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
that's what the irish say, but don't believe them. I have only been to ireland once, but had a bunch of guinness (because that is pretty much all you can get in ireland). It tastes the same.
pjp wrote:
jonnevers wrote:
it all tastes the same me and i pay attention to it.
Interesting. You are the first I've heard say that (maybe 10 ppl or so).
You're now the 2nd person I've heard make that claim. Those I've heard say it were from the US. Although, it may be an issue of draught vs. bottled or canned.


I am comparing draught vs draught.
That might explain it. I've always assumed the people claiming it was better in Ireland were comparing the same thing, but maybe they were comparing it to the bottle/can stuff in the US.


draught to draught. draught anywhere to the 16oz CANS. i think all taste the same. i always pour the cans out into a pint glass though.

the 12oz bottles, i believe are supposed to be also poured out into a glass. they have to be nitrogenated ( made up guinness word ) by being poured out. I think when drank from the 12 glass bottle that it does taste somewhat off.

when in london, i was given a "surger can" which has some special "surger" machine that shakes it or whatever. this process wasn't done i was just served the can as is and it tasted like the 12oz bottles.... somewhat off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcfl/735806438/

only place i saw that product unit was at that one bistro in london.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every bottled or canned (non-nitrogen) beer I've had didn't improve by being in a glass. I rarely drink from the bottle and never from the can. The nitrogen canned stuff is much, much better. I don't think I've been able to compare the same kind in draught vs. nitrogen can.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 456
Location: /US/Illinois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the bar and how they pour, canned Guinness can be an improvement over what local bars offer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 353
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now: Aktien Zwick'l Kellerbier
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum