Future of Gnome in gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wallsandfences
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Future of Gnome in gentoo? Reply with quote

Looking at the roadmap of Gnome, they want to make a dedicated OS.

Currently, Gnome 3 is my favourite wm/de. I appreciate its cleanliness and its focus at usability, much better than ms/windows and even better (to me) than apple's osx.
But I have a tendency to long term solutions (bad in linux world, i know) and like to invest in something futureproof. Unfort., KDE is too windowslike for my liking, so I'm a bit uncertain on which horse to bet.

Is there a longterm future for gnome in gentoo?

Rüdiger
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Future of Gnome in gentoo? Reply with quote

Wallsandfences wrote:
like to invest in something futureproof.
KDE is too windowslike

Kde colors might be windowslike - but you can change them.

All of that great DE projects have a more than a decade time long past - and will have that like a future.

If you really like to invest you will like to try all of the DEs and then with your favorite DesktopEnvironment find your idea what is missing. Funding your own special idea is much more motivating than just generally funding!
Wallsandfences
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
my comment was not meant to criticize, just a taste of mine.

I already tried some, and for me, designwise, gnome 3 is closest. There is something in their politics that looks irritating from outside, at least to me.

Rüdiger
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your politics include resisting systemd, then you may want to try heavily customizing KDE. I think you may also want to give openbox a try. You can customize both of them to be non-windows like and maybe even to fit your fell better.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallsandfences,

Gnome will be around in Gentoo as long as devs want to maintain the ebuilds.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
If your politics include resisting systemd, then you may want to try heavily customizing KDE. I think you may also want to give openbox a try. You can customize both of them to be non-windows like and maybe even to fit your fell better.

I resist systemd, running a 3 seat hotplugged multiseat without systemd or udev with systemd in it and my kde isn't heavily customized at all.

heavily customizing KDE might get the desired gui but I see no relation between systemd and this.
jdhore
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, GNOME will likely be maintained in Gentoo for some time. However, while Gentoo as a whole is trying our best to resist SystemD by default, if GNOME makes it a hard dependency, you will likely need to install it. I do not believe that the GNOME maintainers will want to maintain a patch(set) to keep it out for all that long. ..
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

I resist systemd, running a 3 seat hotplugged multiseat without systemd or udev with systemd in it and my kde isn't heavily customized at all.

heavily customizing KDE might get the desired gui but I see no relation between systemd and this.

Unless the Gentoo devs engage in heroic patching, systemd will be a hard dependency of gnome3. d2_racing says it will be 3.6, I heard 3.7 elsewhere. Regardless, it seems it will be sooner rather than later.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Gnome 3.6 does not suffer from systemd.
I've heard that it will come in in 3.7 ... so maybe it will keep getting postponed for a while yet.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Wallsandfences
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...that would give things time to ripe.... can not be bad...

Rüdiger
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Unless the Gentoo devs engage in heroic patching, systemd will be a hard dependency of gnome3. d2_racing says it will be 3.6, I heard 3.7 elsewhere. Regardless, it seems it will be sooner rather than later.

not my problem, I'm not using gnome, most likely I'll move to e17 later on if even.
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a GNOME 3 user, too. If in the future GNOME will require systemd as a dependency, I think I'll drop openrc and switch to systemd. For me, a desktop environment is more important than some of its dependencies. But this is just a user's point of view. The problem is if GNOME wants to develop an entire operating system which is incompatible with Gentoo. That will be a hard choice.
Wallsandfences
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fturco wrote:
The problem is if GNOME wants to develop an entire operating system which is incompatible with Gentoo. That will be a hard choice.

Exactly my point.

Rüdiger
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this blog post from a GNOME developer: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/gnome-os/. He says:
Quote:
But first, a clarification. The idea of GNOME OS has been around for a couple of years, and there has been a fair amount of confusion about what it means. Some people seem to have assumed that GNOME OS is an effort to replace distributions, so let me be clear: that is not the case. While the creation of a standalone GNOME OS install does feature as a part of our plans, this is primarily intended as a platform for testing and development. In actual fact, all of the improvements that we hope to make through the GNOME OS initiative will directly improve what the GNOME project is able to offer distributions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: